Ireland U-20's 2015-16

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Ireland U-20's 2015-16

Post by cormac »

The 2016 U-20 6N games against Wales, Italy and Scotland have all been moved to Donnybrook.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland U-20's 2015-16

Post by Armchair »

Kiely's & the clampers will be busy!!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Donnybrook has also been named as home for the Irish Women's team.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nc6000 wrote:Donnybrook has also been named as home for the Irish Women's team.
Seeing as they both normally play their home games on Friday nights, the pitch could be rather crowded!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Should be an interesting team selection with Munster winning interpros.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

goreyguy wrote:Should be an interesting team selection with Munster winning interpros.
They did? I completely missed out on the Under-20s this season. :(
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:
Seeing as they both normally play their home games on Friday nights, the pitch could be rather crowded!
U-20's are on Friday evenings, all 7:35pm KO's. Women will be on Saturday or Sunday.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
U-20's are on Friday evenings, all 7:35pm KO's. Women will be on Saturday or Sunday.
Yeah, saw that alright. Good that they're not clashing anymore.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Who are the strongest contenders to make the squad?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

dropkick wrote:Who are the strongest contenders to make the squad?
Jaysus, you tell us! First time in a long, long, time that Munster are champions so live it up! :D
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Donny B. wrote:
Jaysus, you tell us! First time in a long, long, time that Munster are champions so live it up! :D

I'm expecting Munster to have at least twice as many players in it as Leinster. ;)

Jokes aside, its good for Ireland that Munster seem to be getting stronger at underage level. I didn't see any of the games but Bill Johnston looks good an I'm sure there'll be a few other individuals who stand out. Theres been some hype around the tighthead Betts but from reading the match reports the Munster scrum struggled though that might not have been his fault. I heard good things about a few others like the center Kiernan, backrow Kelvin Browne and one or two others.

Leinster will have the most players involved again and Ulster will have a few. Connacht had a big tight 5 and might have a few contenders also, like Conan O'Donnell. Maybe it could be a good crop this year.
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

About time too, was a bit ridic dragging people out to Ashbourne for those games.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

dropkick wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

I'm expecting Munster to have at least twice as many players in it as Leinster. ;)

Jokes aside, its good for Ireland that Munster seem to be getting stronger at underage level. I didn't see any of the games but Bill Johnston looks good an I'm sure there'll be a few other individuals who stand out. Theres been some hype around the tighthead Betts but from reading the match reports the Munster scrum struggled though that might not have been his fault. I heard good things about a few others like the center Kiernan, backrow Kelvin Browne and one or two others.

Leinster will have the most players involved again and Ulster will have a few. Connacht had a big tight 5 and might have a few contenders also, like Conan O'Donnell. Maybe it could be a good crop this year.
I must say, aside from James Ryan, Max Deegan and Jack Power, I'd never heard of most of the Leinster squad who played this season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

It will be mostly Leinster/Munster. With a 2 or 3 forwards from Connacht and maybe 2 or 3 backs from Ulster.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Donny B. wrote:
I must say, aside from James Ryan, Max Deegan and Jack Power, I'd never heard of most of the Leinster squad who played this season.
Not a great year for Leinster especially compared to last year's group.
Andrew Porter/James Ryan/Max Deegan are leinster's standout forwards, Will Connors/Greg Jones will be in the mix at blindside.
in the backs I thought Matthew Gilsenan would have a strong chance at outhalf but he only started 1 game in the interpros.
Jimmy O'Brien/Conor O'Brien both likely get a chance in the centre but might have a hard time being 1st choice ahead of Sam Arnold/Jacob Stockdale/Paul Kiernan.
Some good players in back three, Jack Power isn't a certain starter IMO and Matthew Byrne probably has the best chance out of the leinster wings.

None of this u20 group is in the academy yet, it will be interesting to see who makes it. Could forsee a starting irish u20 backline with no Leinster players.

u20 team won ulster and connacht games handily but struggled away from home to munster.
Very poor goal kicking being a big factor, Munster took their chances and played mistake free rugby. Leinster threw an intercept try as they pushed for the win and that was the game finished with.