Next England Coach & Captain

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Next England Coach & Captain

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I suspect Rob Andrew has switched off his phone and headed to a remote island for a few weeks so that he can have a bit of time to come up with a bullshit story about how none of it had anything to do with him. Slime ball.

Feel sorry for Lancaster. He messed up big time but seems like a great guy and to me it looks like he did a lot of great work before Farrell tried to derail the long term plan they had. No doubt he had to go though and I don't see how the others can survive.

It'll be interesting to see if the new coach brings back Hartley and Tuilagi.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Also agree with Hugonaut about Burgess. Maybe if it happened with Ireland I'd have a slightly different view but the reality is that they rushed the whole thing and managed him badly. With some of the comments from other players and the fall out in the media it's easy to see why he'd feel really uncomfortable. Wouldn't be easy going back into the England setup after his selection was one of the reasons the previous coach got sacked.

I suspect it was more of a Bruce Craig vanity project than anything else and he just didn't give it all enough thought. Pity he didn't come over a couple of years ago and give the World Cup a proper shot but certainly don't blame him for leaving now.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Rob Andrew had already been moved upstairs

No major coach will touch it unless they get free reign over assistants

One thing that has come out is Lancaster and Farrell were the major drivers in initiating the move, but Bath obviously jumped on board with gusto
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

simonokeeffe wrote: please please please let them appoint Andy Farrell as interim coach
I've sworn for years that that man has some mystical power over people that he could use to run a cult. If he manages to survive this there is definitely something supernatural going on.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Vamos los azules wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: please please please let them appoint Andy Farrell as interim coach
I've sworn for years that that man has some mystical power over people that he could use to run a cult. If he manages to survive this there is definitely something supernatural going on.
I think he regularly gets trapped in front of mirrors as he sees someone staring at him and doesnt want to be the first to back down
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I suspect Rob Andrew has switched off his phone and headed to a remote island for a few weeks so that he can have a bit of time to come up with a bullshit story about how none of it had anything to do with him. Slime ball.

Feel sorry for Lancaster. He messed up big time but seems like a great guy and to me it looks like he did a lot of great work before Farrell tried to derail the long term plan they had. No doubt he had to go though and I don't see how the others can survive.

It'll be interesting to see if the new coach brings back Hartley and Tuilagi.
Ha ha. Totally agree on Lancaster, in fairness to the lad, a couple of years coaching Leeds Carnegie isn't the right preparation for international management. That wouldn't get him anywhere near the Leinster job never mind the host country in a rugby world cup!

I'd be more interested if whether he insists on bring back the exiles.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I was reading Will Greenwood's article in the Torygraph this morning, and he wrote that there is "a good relationship with the clubs" [source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ourse.html ].

I've no idea just how bad the relationships between the national team and the clubs got in the past, but to suggest that there's a healthy, optimally functioning relationship now is straight up mental. The national coach picks a cross-code player at centre and his club decide at the end of the season that they're not going to play him there ever again and put him in the pack? That's not a good relationship, Will.

The English media are still largely blind to the fact that the vast majority of dedicated rugby fans in the world see their twelve Premiership clubs [and their owners in particular] as grasping c*nts. NZ, SA and Aus fans don't like them [or the French, for that matter, and even us sometimes] because they try and tempt away current test players for big money. Most of the other Six Nations countries don't like them for f*cking everyone else over with regards to the negotiations for the Heineken Cup.

Any prospective coach knows that he will have to deal with not one but a whole coterie of these bell-ends on practically a daily basis. They were saying the other day that they wanted to have a say in who the RFU appointed, for f*ck's sake.

Talking about buying out in-contract head coach's jobs as though it's just a case of money could also be construed as grossly offensive to said coach's values. "Cheika's been in charge of the Wallabies for a year or so and brought them to the Rugby Championship and the World Cup final ... I'm sure if we throw money at him then he'll come to England, the job he really wants." Are you f*cking kidding me?

As for Ian Ritchie remaining in his post while the completely honourable Stuart Lancaster gets the long drop: the former gave the latter a six year contract a year ago. Six years. Don't worry though, his judgment isn't completely and utterly flawed; after all, RWC15 made the RFU loads of money, even though their team was sh*t. It's all Lancaster and Burgess' fault, nobody else.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote:I was reading Will Greenwood's article in the Torygraph this morning, and he wrote that there is "a good relationship with the clubs" [source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ourse.html ].

I've no idea just how bad the relationships between the national team and the clubs got in the past, but to suggest that there's a healthy, optimally functioning relationship now is straight up mental. The national coach picks a cross-code player at centre and his club decide at the end of the season that they're not going to play him there ever again and put him in the pack? That's not a good relationship, Will.

The English media are still largely blind to the fact that the vast majority of dedicated rugby fans in the world see their twelve Premiership clubs [and their owners in particular] as grasping c*nts. NZ, SA and Aus fans don't like them [or the French, for that matter, and even us sometimes] because they try and tempt away current test players for big money. Most of the other Six Nations countries don't like them for f*cking everyone else over with regards to the negotiations for the Heineken Cup.

Any prospective coach knows that he will have to deal with not one but a whole coterie of these bell-ends on practically a daily basis. They were saying the other day that they wanted to have a say in who the RFU appointed, for f*ck's sake.

Talking about buying out in-contract head coach's jobs as though it's just a case of money could also be construed as grossly offensive to said coach's values. "Cheika's been in charge of the Wallabies for a year or so and brought them to the Rugby Championship and the World Cup final ... I'm sure if we throw money at him then he'll come to England, the job he really wants." Are you f*cking kidding me?

As for Ian Ritchie remaining in his post while the completely honourable Stuart Lancaster gets the long drop: the former gave the latter a six year contract a year ago. Six years. Don't worry though, his judgment isn't completely and utterly flawed; after all, RWC15 made the RFU loads of money, even though their team was sh*t. It's all Lancaster and Burgess' fault, nobody else.
They sure do have "loads of money" now. Maybe they're very happy with Ritchie.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Woodward is calling for Ritchie's head, Greenwood calling for Woodward to help appoint new coach too

Mallinder is the only respectable English coach not to have ruled himself out but they seem quite set a big name with international experience, which rules out probably best man for the job: Dave Rennie. It will probably go to Jake White, but knowing his expressed policy on 7s/fetchers he's just as likely to leave Armitage in France and pick Robshaw or even Wood at 7 and change nothing.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:

Arguably the best thing I've ever read on this site, love it :lol:

Simon mentioned that Rob Andrew had changed roles and Brian Moore has been saying that he doesn't have anything to do with the England team anymore. I find that odd for a Professional Rugby Director but regardless of that he was very vocal before the World Cup (just google his name) and nowhere to be seen at the press conference yesterday.

I've worked with plenty of Rob Andrew types in the past and can just imagine Bill Beaumont asking him to join the press conference and him denying that he has anything to do with it and that he's scheduled an important call for the same time.

I don't think I ever even saw him play but I absolutely hate him based on a few things I've seen recently :lol:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

You never saw rob andrew play?

Think of hernandez in the 07 world cup.

Big up and unders up to the 10 yard line, then fling it out to bum face at 12.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Irony is he was the first England international to play in France

Twitter tells me a non native coach has never won a rugby world cup
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Also agree with Hugonaut about Burgess. Maybe if it happened with Ireland I'd have a slightly different view but the reality is that they rushed the whole thing and managed him badly. With some of the comments from other players and the fall out in the media it's easy to see why he'd feel really uncomfortable. Wouldn't be easy going back into the England setup after his selection was one of the reasons the previous coach got sacked.

I suspect it was more of a Bruce Craig vanity project than anything else and he just didn't give it all enough thought. Pity he didn't come over a couple of years ago and give the World Cup a proper shot but certainly don't blame him for leaving now.
Yeah, like Brian Carney
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Also agree with Hugonaut about Burgess. Maybe if it happened with Ireland I'd have a slightly different view but the reality is that they rushed the whole thing and managed him badly. With some of the comments from other players and the fall out in the media it's easy to see why he'd feel really uncomfortable. Wouldn't be easy going back into the England setup after his selection was one of the reasons the previous coach got sacked.

Yeah, like Brian Carney
Yeah, I like Brian Carney too
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cipriani charged with drink driving, more fun for new guy to deal with

Jake White is saying now he'll take the job but wont do interviews
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

In a way I hope Jake White gets the job because I haven't really enjoyed not hating the English team over the last few years.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:In a way I hope Jake White gets the job because I haven't really enjoyed not hating the English team over the last few years.
also he'd probably pick Farrell too :D

good call he might get right would be making Hartley captain

he has a bad track record when it comes to picking black opensides though
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Looks like Eddie Jones is taking over and Robshaw will lose the captaincy. Express seem to think Farrell might stay on but nobody else will. They think Borthwick might replace Rowntree. I know contracts might be an issue but if they're buying Jones out then you'd imagine they'll get him who he wants.

Not sure if Jones planned to coach Japan again for the next World Cup but it's a pity he won't be doing so. Thought he was much older than 55.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He's 3 years older than Rob Andrew
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Looks like Eddie Jones is taking over and Robshaw will lose the captaincy. Express seem to think Farrell might stay on but nobody else will. They think Borthwick might replace Rowntree. I know contracts might be an issue but if they're buying Jones out then you'd imagine they'll get him who he wants.

Not sure if Jones planned to coach Japan again for the next World Cup but it's a pity he won't be doing so. Thought he was much older than 55.
Wouldn't be surprised it time was called on Rowntree. Seems like a nice enough chap, and was the only member of staff to come out with the players' backing after RWC 2011, but it's difficult to remember many occasions where the English scrum was dominant over the last two years. He also picked Matt Stevens for the 2013 Lions ahead of Mike Ross. That was a spectacularly sh!t call.