Ireland v Argentina Q/F RWC 2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Ireland v Argentina Q/F RWC 2015

Post by Oldschool »

Decision time on call ups.
With Payne out, we can call up a BR forward straight away.
Who is going to get the call.
Then when the full injury situation is known other call ups can be made.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Ireland v Argentina Q/F RWC 2015

Post by RoboProp »

Call up Ruddock if needs be, he's a quality unit and knows the Joe show. Call up Trimble and Dan Tuohy. Light a candle for Johnny
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Assuming O'Connell is out, call up Ruddock anyway. If there's any remote chance that Sexton & O'Mahony will be OK, even if only for a potential semi final, they should be kept on. POM was exceptional today.

There's an argument for calling in Keatley now to replace Payne. I'm assuming Earls will be fine, but that's not a given.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Call up Ruddock to replace Payne and don't panic over the rest until we need to.
I have Bumbleflex
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Payne definitely gone and POC most likely gone plus SOB facing a ban. The rest we will have to wait on. I would bring out Trimble and Ruddock. It is a risk only having 3 second rows but we may need the backrow cover and Ruddock would already be there but for a badly timed injure.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Call up Ruddock to replace Payne and don't panic over the rest until we need to.
youre right on first part, POC is fecked so we need a lock which will be Tuohy

if Johnny has a chance of even making the (3rd place) final keep him in the squad, Keatley would be just another Cave
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Call up Ruddock to replace Payne and don't panic over the rest until we need to.

if Johnny has a chance of even making the (3rd place) final keep him in the squad, Keatley would be just another Cave
I really hope we don't have to resort to bringing Keatly in. He is the most inconsistent player around.

If poc is out, then we are down to 3 fit locks, and with the possibility that Henderson will have to play 6, we need an extra lock.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Just looking at post match interviews.
Suspect Heaslip might have a broken nose.
He's the one player I would not want to lose.
Jordi Murphy will start at 8 if that's the case.
Against Argentina we might get away with it?
Also noticed Earls holding his left arm just on HT.
Last edited by Oldschool on October 11th, 2015, 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Bit unfair to Cave but I can now see why Joe gave Keatley the game against Italy? in the 6Ns
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ruddock as we may be down two back rows and I don't think Henderson should play 6. Ruddock to 6, Henry to 7, Murphy to bench, Ryan to bench. Jackson to bench. Evaluate whether Healy really was up to the start.

We have no need of Keatley. We only need another lock if there is another injury.

This is assuming we are without POM, sexton, POC, and SOB.

No injuries to Murray is now definitely top of my wish list.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Rumours abound that Mahony may be ok... Maybe even Sexton. POC defo out of World Cup.
Could be shite though.

I'd love to get Earls back on the wing for this to be honest. Not sure how though...
Couldn't have Ruddock going straight into starting team. I'd go Ryan 5, Henderson 6, jordi to bench.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

If Sexton is out for next week- as is likely, do we go with Madigan or does Rory Jackson's steadiness provide a horses-for-courses selection. Ian played well- but he was far from perfect in decision making. For the arm wrestle that the QF will undoubtedly be Jackson could be the guy. If Earls is injured Madigan or Fitzgerald to the 13 channel. Even if Keith is able, he maybe should not hold on to the outside centre slot; hard to overlook that spill with the line beckoning.

I agree that if POM is out and Seanie banned- that Henderson moves to 6 and Ryan joins Toner in the second-row. I'd also start Jack McGrath and bring Cian Cronin and Jordi off the bench for impact.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Madigan absolutely has to start for me. Wee Paddy is a decent enough player, but he doesn't land enough kicks and in QF you need your OH to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Mads, Murray and Henshaw all linked up very nicely together. I'd keep that going.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

As its stands we have to replace POC and Payne

POC as to be replaced with a lock - with the injury situation/citings Henderson couldwell be double jobbing so we need another lock definitely - Tuohy I presume

Payne - call up Trimble and move Earls full time into the centre

I can't see SOB getting off but don't think he'll get more than a week either

Best case next week

McGrath/Best/Ross/Henderson/Toner/POM/Henry/Heaslip/Murray/Sexton/Henshaw/Earls.Kearney x 2/Bowe
Cronin/White/Healy/Ryan/Murphy/REddan/Madigan/Fitz

Worst case (POC, POM, SOB, SExton& Earls out)

McGrath/Best/Ross/Ryan/Toner/Henderson/Henry/Heaslip/Murray/Madigan/Henshaw/Fitz/Kearneyx2/Bowe
Cronin/White/Healy/Tuohy/Murphy/Reddan/Jackson/Zebo

I think both those teams can win to be honest
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

POC's injury could be a blessing in disguise.
A fantastic leader, no doubt, but as a player he's no longer on the same level as Henderson and Toner, which is the pairing I would have started with against France
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

maps wrote:POC's injury could be a blessing in disguise.
A fantastic leader, no doubt, but as a player he's no longer on the same level as Henderson and Toner, which is the pairing I would have started with against France
You won't get many people to agree with you. POC is a great player as well as leader & can't comprehend how you could make such a stupid post.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

O'Connell has been slipping as he comes to the end of his career. He reminds me somewhat of Leo in his last two years - really too slow around the pitch. He compensates as a great leader and as a great line-out option but he is fading no doubt.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

So in the key group game you wouldn't have picked the captain to start? :shock:
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

One of the more idiotic posts

In fairness our lockshave stepped up hugely this WC - all 4 really performing and the loss of POC will not be felt as badly as it would have in the past.

As a player there is nothing that Toner has over POC, and Henderson has carrying and counter rucking over him (but is substantially inferior in some of the ore technical elements) - no slight at all on Toner and Henderson - they are being compared with an absolute giant of a player - and that's before you consider the leadership part
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Raydollard wrote:O'Connell has been slipping as he comes to the end of his career. He reminds me somewhat of Leo in his last two years - really too slow around the pitch. He compensates as a great leader and as a great line-out option but he is fading no doubt.
2015 6N Player of tournament
Give some examples of when he has been too slow around the pitch - not getting to rucks etc - think you'll be hard pressed to find them tbh
Is he as fast etc - no - was he ever?
BTW Cullen for all his attributes was pretty much a liability when it came to the end - are you suggesting that POC is lke this, are you trolling just stupid?