Paul O'Connell

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

enby
Rhys Ruddock

Paul O'Connell

Post by enby »

It seems that we have seen the last of POC in the green jersey. What a great player, captain and man he is and has been. A genuine world class second row and a brilliant leader. His performances in the 2014-15 international season from the Autumn Internationals to the 6N triumph were practically perfect. Only BOD can rival his career achievements of Ireland & Lions captain, Grand Slam and 6Ns winner and multiple Heineken Cup winner.

Even though he played for another province (and I will forgive him his reckless if unintentional boot on DK) Leinster fans everywhere held him in affection as well as respect.

Get well soon POC
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Paul O'Connell

Post by blockhead »

If he is gone, then he went down fighting like the great cheiftains of yore, like we always knew he would. A legendary career with so many great triumphs for club and country.
If he is gone, I dont think they'll be shipping him out of the camp any time soon, his pre-match calls to arms will be required no doubt.

Arise Sir POC.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I heard him interviewed with Mat Cooper before the RWC. MC pointed out (unless the unlikely event of winning the RWC occured), POC's last game for Ireland would end in defeat.

Paulie has gone out winning and winning in style.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

The greatest legacy that POC will have beyond his exceptional talent and his leadership, is the spirit he has instilled in this team. A belief that we can beat anyone and not to settle for second best. The next generation has been left in great hands as POC,Bod and Co have shown them the path to greatness is theirs for the taking
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

He Came, He Saw, He Conquered.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.irishrugby.ie/rwc/news/35903 ... hzaqXpViko

A sad way to finish but at least he went down fighting for his team mates.

One of Ireland's greats, it was a pleasure to watch him grow and develop into a fantastic player and leader.

Thanks Paulie :clap: :clap:
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Official confirmation from IRFU this morning that POC has played his last match for Ireland & is to have an operation.

There have been many great players for Ireland in the last 20 years of the Professional era but POC & BOD were the best & most influential.

Hopefully & speedy recovery from injury & Ireland to continue to show strength in this World Cup.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Donny B. wrote:http://www.irishrugby.ie/rwc/news/35903 ... hzaqXpViko

One of Ireland's greats, it was a pleasure to watch him grow and develop into a fantastic player and leader.

What he said.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

nelly the elephant wrote:

What he said.
+ lots
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

bad news for Paul but hopefully he will make a full recovery as quickly as possible and so get to play for Toulon as soon as possible.

I have wondered about the play in the actual incident where Paul was injured ever since it happened. I wonder at least about the morality of it all. The fact is that a French player latched his grip on to the back of Paul's knee right from the beginning and effectively never let go his grip. This manoeuvre fixed Paul in position on the left hand side and when the push came on onto the other side of his body he could do nothing to save himself and was bunched. The tackle made may have been legitimate but the continual hold on makes me wonder about it all.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RTÉ Rugby ‏@RTErugby 6m6 minutes ago P ... y/1MvrhDV

Very sad.
Thank you for an brilliant career Paulie. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

This
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Hippo wrote:

This
It's all there. He gave everything and owes us nothing. I do hope he gets to play again- even if it is for Toulon.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The greatest Gladiators in Rome could only leave with Laurel Wreaths or carried on their Shield.

Paulie was the greatest forward I have seen play for Ireland, based on hix excellence, dynamism and extraordinary will to win.

I hope we see his like again.

In time, he will recognise that his body deserves to rest and recover. He can however put his mind at ease that he owes nothing to any pavilion he ever sat in.