Ireland: what next?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ireland: what next?

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I would have said that the exact opposite was true of McCloskey. He doesn't sit back and use the choke to stop momentum, he tends to spot when it's on, rush up, and stop the attacker before the gain line, often driving them back. He does go for it quite a bit but he reads the situation well, unlike Sexton who tends to go high all the time.

If he does start against Wales then he's really going to have to hit the ground running. He'll probably be playing with Sexton and Henshaw for the first time, behind a pack that might struggle if our second rows don't play out of their skins, and he'll be up against Biggar, Roberts, and Davies. I've faith in him but that could be a big ask.
He can handle Roberts running straight at him, but I think the tactic theyll use a lot early on then use it as a decoy later on will be to have him worrying about the big guys running at Sexton or Jackson, and get our defence narrow (Henshaw wont just stand in no mans land at 13)
Theyre not bad players at all but neither of the Welsh centres are quick or have good hands, though JD has improved this in France

think we all know that even more than usual (for a ten) Wales would try and take Johnny out

Welsh backline will be interesting, Liam Williams is still out injured so cant see him being fully fit for February 7th. Anscombe likely to fill in, winger who is not George North another interesting call
You've actually identified another reason to give Sexton a break.
Jackson is technically a much better tackler than Sexton who as pointed out tackles far too high for his own good.
McCloskey would probably have more faith in Jackson's defense that Sexton's.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I would have said that the exact opposite was true of McCloskey. He doesn't sit back and use the choke to stop momentum, he tends to spot when it's on, rush up, and stop the attacker before the gain line, often driving them back. He does go for it quite a bit but he reads the situation well, unlike Sexton who tends to go high all the time.

If he does start against Wales then he's really going to have to hit the ground running. He'll probably be playing with Sexton and Henshaw for the first time, behind a pack that might struggle if our second rows don't play out of their skins, and he'll be up against Biggar, Roberts, and Davies. I've faith in him but that could be a big ask.
He can handle Roberts running straight at him, but I think the tactic theyll use a lot early on then use it as a decoy later on will be to have him worrying about the big guys running at Sexton or Jackson, and get our defence narrow (Henshaw wont just stand in no mans land at 13)
Theyre not bad players at all but neither of the Welsh centres are quick or have good hands, though JD has improved this in France

think we all know that even more than usual (for a ten) Wales would try and take Johnny out

Welsh backline will be interesting, Liam Williams is still out injured so cant see him being fully fit for February 7th. Anscombe likely to fill in, winger who is not George North another interesting call
You've actually identified another reason to give Sexton a break.
Jackson is technically a much better tackler than Sexton who as pointed out tackles far too high for his own good.
McCloskey would probably have more faith in Jackson's defense that Sexton's.
if we rest them on those grounds why not French or English game too?

On Welsh team theyve a full round of Top14 and AP games next weekend their players will have to come through too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Moore out of 6N
grade 2 hamstring tear, out for 6-8 weeks

Ross will miss first two games

Leinster have also said Johnny did not suffer concussion and didnt even fail HIA, was withdrawn as a precaution
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought it was strange that it was reported as concussion, sounded more like guesswork.

Bit of a disaster about Marty. Given that we're weak in the second row we needed all hands on deck for the rest of the pack.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought it was strange that it was reported as concussion, sounded more like guesswork.

Bit of a disaster about Marty. Given that we're weak in the second row we needed all hands on deck for the rest of the pack.
well its a handy narrative/sensationalist story/clickbait any time they can say anything about Johnny with a knock to the head, plus I know its different staffs but there has been denial/BS/partial truths before with Johnny's groin injury and SOB's inner ear problem

looks like White starting and Furlong coming on, I'd nearly rather it the other way round

in connected news Leicester are out for Rabah Slimani's blood over gouging complaints at the weekend, both starting Tigers props have scrape marks in the eye area
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought it was strange that it was reported as concussion, sounded more like guesswork.

well its a handy narrative/sensationalist story/clickbait any time they can say anything about Johnny with a knock to the head, plus I know its different staffs but there has been denial/BS/partial truths before with Johnny's groin injury and SOB's inner ear problem

looks like White starting and Furlong coming on, I'd nearly rather it the other way round

in connected news Leicester are out for Rabah Slimani's blood over gouging complaints at the weekend, both starting Tigers props have scrape marks in the eye area
me too - Nathan can always come on if Furlong is struggling at scrum time
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Joe Schmidt to decide after SA tour this summer whether he'll stay for 2019 world cup
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:Joe Schmidt to decide after SA tour this summer whether he'll stay for 2019 world cup
Can't see him staying myself.
Basing that entirely on the Gatland position in Wales and the likelyhood of him ever getting decent SH job.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I bet he locks in til 2019 with a break clause to go to EnZed with Uncle Vern in 2017......

Who is the boss in the Joe/Vern conglomerate is the question
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I dont think Vern would get head honcho based on recent record but I dont think Schmidt will go as head coach, only Gatty really wants it

Not to delve into his personal life too much/beyond whats been reported but I think his youngest son is well settled/cared for here

Super rugby jobs:

Blues: just appointed Umaga
Highlanders: Joseph leaving this summer for Japan job, Tony Brown will most likely get that
Crusaders: Blackadder out of contract this summer too
Hurricanes: coaches contracts up 2017 but doing well

leaving

Chiefs: Dave Rennie sure to ascend to All Blacks set up when Hansen goes 2017

So only one super rugby job he has a chance for, and I doubt he'd take an NPC job unless he was hell bent on going home
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I said at the time he signed his extension that I thought he wanted to go to NZ when it was up but they seem to have signed up most of their coaching team so not sure there's a role there. Now maybe he's prepared to take a Super Rugby job for now and work his way up but I'd hope not given that it would mean he didn't take us to the world cup.

There's also the question of how much they want him after the world cup and this 6N.

If I was involved I'd be looking to keep him on until 2019 and telling him that Nucifora's role is then his if he wants it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I said at the time he signed his extension that I thought he wanted to go to NZ when it was up but they seem to have signed up most of their coaching team so not sure there's a role there. Now maybe he's prepared to take a Super Rugby job for now and work his way up but I'd hope not given that it would mean he didn't take us to the world cup.

There's also the question of how much they want him after the world cup and this 6N.

If I was involved I'd be looking to keep him on until 2019 and telling him that Nucifora's role is then his if he wants it.
you not think hes more of a tracksuit coach than a blazer/DOR to want Nucifora's job?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I do, I didn't say he'd take that job. I just don't see him staying with Ireland at that stage and wouldn't particularly want him to either, going beyond 2019 could make things stale. You can't really promise him a provincial job and that just seems like a logical carrot to put in front of him.

He'll be 55 then so a move upstairs might suit. There'd still be plenty of time for him to go to NZ then but we can't control that, we do have that role to offer him if we want to keep him in the system though and personally I'd offer it and see what happens.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I do, I didn't say he'd take that job. I just don't see him staying with Ireland at that stage and wouldn't particularly want him to either, going beyond 2019 could make things stale. You can't really promise him a provincial job and that just seems like a logical carrot to put in front of him.

He'll be 55 then so a move upstairs might suit. There'd still be plenty of time for him to go to NZ then but we can't control that, we do have that role to offer him if we want to keep him in the system though and personally I'd offer it and see what happens.
hopefully not in January each year :D

for on field matters, Ringrose needs to spend the summer in the gym not SA but man I'm itching to see him & Henshaw for Leinster & Ireland next season
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I'm sure you can get a topical cream for that.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:I'm sure you can get a topical cream for that.
Ive thick skin
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One line of concern must be about Munster's defence coughing up 4 tries against Cardiff after working with the new "Defence Consultant" Andy Farrell.

Did Axel let him take over in this area or was that all window dressing to quell local meeja and unruly natives?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:One line of concern must be about Munster's defence coughing up 4 tries against Cardiff after working with the new "Defence Consultant" Andy Farrell.

Did Axel let him take over in this area or was that all window dressing to quell local meeja and unruly natives?
hes only doing one or two days a week and am not sure hes purely defence

Ian Costello still defence coach AFAIK
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:One line of concern must be about Munster's defence coughing up 4 tries against Cardiff after working with the new "Defence Consultant" Andy Farrell.

hes only doing one or two days a week and am not sure hes purely defence

Ian Costello still defence coach AFAIK
My dad bumped into Andy Farrell at the gym, over in England, and he didn't mention the Munster job at all. My dad's more of a football fan so while he knew who Farrell was he didn't know about the munster job at all. Make of that what you will.
Anyone But New Zealand