"success is measured by World Cup performances" is it?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

"success is measured by World Cup performances" is it?

Post by Logorrhea »

Tony Ward
"success is measured by World Cup performances"
George Hook
"Argentina's performance was a reflection of the progress that has been made after four years' experience in the Rugby Championship"
Argentina have one 2 of their Rugby Championship games over a four year period (?), they have won one match this world cup against a Tier 1 nation, yet those four years of constantly losing international matches is deemed a success? In contrast Ireland have two 6 nations championships in a row, we have won significantly more matches against Tier 1 opposition, yet we need a root and branch analysis of our systems in order to ensure we win one more match at a world cup?
Neil Francis
"we should be happy just to play in the second division"
I reckin Francis has it right. The 6 nations is the only competition we have. We should just look to win that and worry about the world cup when it comes around. If we are going to build, we should build for the 6 nations, not the world cup.
Last edited by Logorrhea on October 20th, 2015, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: "success is measured by World Cup performances" is it?

Post by jimbobjoe »

We should be doing both. What's the point in being a big fish in small pond?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Logorrhea wrote:
Tony Ward
"success is measured by World Cup performances"
George Hook
"Argentina's performance was a reflection of the progress that has been made after four years' experience in the Rugby Championship"
Argentina have one 2 of their Rugby Championship games over a four year period (?), they have won one match this world cup against a Tier 1 nation, yet those four years of constantly losing international matches is deemed a success? In contrast Ireland have two 6 nations championships in a row, we have won significantly more matches against Tier 1 opposition, yet we need a route and branch analysis of our systems in order to ensure we win one more match at a world cup?
Neil Francis
"we should be happy just to play in the second division"
I reckin Francis has it right. The 6 nations is the only competition we have. We should just look to win that and worry about the world cup when it comes around. If we are going to build, we should build for the 6 nations, not the world cup.
OK, Three Pundits who I fuvkin detest, Tony "naughty boy" Ward, George "text bait" Hook, and Neil "possibly the laziest player EVER to pull on the Green Shirt" Francis.

Not sure of the context around Hook's quote, but if that is the extent of it, I think it's a little simplistic and lazy (but no surprises there eh?). While it is at least partially true, it is a lot more nuanced than that. Argentina obviously targeted this game from a long way out, and their back three definitely look to have benefitted from playing a lot of 7s.

I think if we ate less pasta and spuds, ate more meat, played more 7s and tip for heads up rugby, and drank less pints we'd be at least 1/2 way to where we need to be.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Success is measured by World Cup performances... is it?

Yes!!

Regional success is important. But global success would be awesome. It is great to win Pro12 but it greater still to win a European Cup... it is great to win a 6 Nations but even greater to win a Grand Slam.... and greater still to win a world cup.

If we won a world cup I think it might be a big deal. I for one vote no to regional competitiveness and global irrelevance.
#ScrapTheLions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

its a soundbite

to draw a parallel did Glasgow have a successful season or not last year? won league for first time but didnt get out of the pool in Europe
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:its a soundbite

to draw a parallel did Glasgow have a successful season or not last year? won league for first time but didnt get out of the pool in Europe
Just like Leinster in 2007/8. We were pretty happy as I recall.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:its a soundbite

Just like Leinster in 2007/8. We were pretty happy as I recall.
Mmmmm free bulmers........
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan