Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Good auld Mattie

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

From the Irish times

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2413192

That loveable scamp Matt Williams : (I) Will miss... Top quality, exciting, running rugby every game, every week... except when Ireland played.

Ahh he's such a loveable rogue, seriously reckon he's trying to line up a national skills coach number for himself. Wonder will it be as much of a success as Reggie's scrum clinics???
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Re: Good auld Mattie

Post by MadiganSquareGarden »

The man is an absolute bore at this stage. Says if Joe has two wins from eleven games this year he could be out of a job. Three games out of the eleven have been played. He's fast becoming rugby's Dunphy.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MadiganSquareGarden wrote:The man is an absolute bore at this stage. Says if Joe has two wins from eleven games this year he could be out of a job. Three games out of the eleven have been played. He's fast becoming rugby's Dunphy.
No no, Hook has that title well sown up. BTW if you ever come across Hook, call him Dunphy lite, then stand back and watch him blow his top. He absolutely hates the comparison.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:
MadiganSquareGarden wrote:The man is an absolute bore at this stage. Says if Joe has two wins from eleven games this year he could be out of a job. Three games out of the eleven have been played. He's fast becoming rugby's Dunphy.
No no, Hook has that title well sown up. BTW if you ever come across Hook, call him Dunphy lite, then stand back and watch him blow his top. He absolutely hates the comparison.
Matt Williams credibility is up there with Bertie Aherns soccer column

Hes more of an Andy Gray
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Matt Williams credibility is up there with Bertie Aherns soccer column

Hes more of an Andy Gray
What's disappointing about Matt is that, while he was a great servant of Leinster and did know something about rugby in this country, he's spouting authoritatively from afar on a game that he has limited knowledge of now.

He's nearly impossible to listen to on 'Off the Ball'- all soft soap "lovely guy..." stuff wrapped around undigested opinions based on how good the Super Rugby fare is. Reading him in the IT is nearly as bad.

No context, no balance, no concern for factoring in anything other than his preconceived opinions. Sad really...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

artaneboy wrote:
What's disappointing about Matt is that, while he was a great servant of Leinster and did know something about rugby in this country, he's spouting authoritatively from afar on a game that he has limited knowledge of now.

He's nearly impossible to listen to on 'Off the Ball'- all soft soap "lovely guy..." stuff wrapped around undigested opinions based on how good the Super Rugby fare is. Reading him in the IT is nearly as bad.

No context, no balance, no concern for factoring in anything other than his preconceived opinions. Sad really...
There's that aspect of it, and then there's the fact that it has been a one-note solo for about six months now. It's the same article every single week. It's f*cking boring. He essentially writes in the same manner that he accuses Ireland of playing.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

hugonaut wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

There's that aspect of it, and then there's the fact that it has been a one-note solo for about six months now. It's the same article every single week. It's f*cking boring. He essentially writes in the same manner that he accuses Ireland of playing.
Do you think he might have an agenda? Or a goal???
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Amazing how the quality of rugby improved this weekend with the benign weather conditions, something Mattie never factors into the equation. I can't stand listening or reading him any more, just the same tedious cr@p every week.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Donny B. wrote:Amazing how the quality of rugby improved this weekend with the benign weather conditions, something Mattie never factors into the equation. I can't stand listening or reading him any more, just the same tedious cr@p every week.

Donaldo,
(long pause)

Mate. it's a game of precision,position and possession.
Only works with a bad Aussie impersonation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RoboProp wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Amazing how the quality of rugby improved this weekend with the benign weather conditions, something Mattie never factors into the equation. I can't stand listening or reading him any more, just the same tedious cr@p every week.

Donaldo,
(long pause)

Mate. it's a game of precision,position and possession.
Only works with a bad Aussie impersonation
I agreeee Robbo
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Don't understand why he's being given the platform. As said already, it's boring.

Mattie's record as Scotland coach was 3 wins from 17 games. Joe oversaw 13 wins in his first 17 with Ireland. I don't think Joe is the coach whose methods need addressing.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

MadiganSquareGarden wrote:Don't understand why he's being given the platform. As said already, it's boring.

Mattie's record as Scotland coach was 3 wins from 17 games. Joe oversaw 13 wins in his first 17 with Ireland. I don't think Joe is the coach whose methods need addressing.
I once mentioned Mattie's name to a Scottish lad I used to play rugby with. 30 minutes of foul-mouthed invective followed. Nathan Hines temporarily retired from international rugby sooner than work with him and he's a fellow Aussie.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

MadiganSquareGarden wrote:Don't understand why he's being given the platform. As said already, it's boring.

the 3 wins were Samoa, Japan, and CUS u14s or something like that too
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Donny B. wrote:

I once mentioned Mattie's name to a Scottish lad I used to play rugby with. 30 minutes of foul-mouthed invective followed. Nathan Hines temporarily retired from international rugby sooner than work with him and he's a fellow Aussie.
Says it all really. I found it very instructive that when the Jared Payne bashing happened in September, it was met with a lot of eye-rolling from players who had worked under Mattie such as Stephen Ferris.

I want to like the man. Why did he have to start behaving like a knob? Although I'm starting to wonder was he always like this and his sycophancy prevented us from noticing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:

IIRC, the Scottish national team had some good results the year after Mattie left and he claimed credit for it. Howls of laughter from the jocks ensued.
I could be wrong about that though.
But he has become a right oul knob.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

IIRC, the Scottish national team had some good results the year after Mattie left and he claimed credit for it. Howls of laughter from the jocks ensued.
I could be wrong about that though.
But he has become a right oul knob.
he has claimed that several times, and taken credit for the career of any player that got his first cap under him
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Don't forget his fantastic "intervention" in convincing several Aussie and other acquaintances to buy the Narbonne Club in France in order to revive their great tradition. They also recruited multiple Aussie players. Midi Olympique reports the cost to date as a net €8.5m.

They play with position, possession and penetration. They just don't win enough. Currently bottom half of Pro D2. Proof positive of Mattie's superb rugby brain
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Look... there was always a level of bullshit from Matt. But he was good for Leinster- and Irish rugby generally in his time here. So let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

But he is not only out of order on the facts- his style of argument in seeking to portray the support of Joe as some sort if misguided loyalty to his "lovely guy" persona is insulting and weasely. Not cool.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well said "artaneboy", your tagline summarises the only reasonable response to his current tripe.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

https://youtu.be/I8o9KyFxppY

An oldie but a goodie