TV3 Win 6 Nations rights

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: TV3 Win 6 Nations rights

Post by Dave Cahill »

domhnallj wrote:I think I read somewhere that the BBC were sharing the six nations with ITV. No idea where I read that so might have dreamed it. In any case, not sure how that would work in Ireland with that UTV Ireland thing.
You are correct, from 2016, each year, ITV will show live coverage of England, Ireland and Italy home matches and the BBC will show live coverage of Scotland, Wales and France home matches.

UTV Ireland won't be showing it, they dont have the rights.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Anyone know if the rugby jedi commentates on the 6N,

AKAIK, he was commentatingvthe Rugby Championship and dome WC games
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Great bit from Hook in that Indo piece

"The highest bidder wins. The highest bidder in this case won."

A. thats how bids work
B. that money pays the players and coaches and the stadium
C. the highest FREE to air bidder won, if they only wanted money itd be on Sky or BT

Going by feedback/backlash if they just dont do ads between anthem and kick off itll be such a relief people wont notice the rest of the ads, even the 7 mins at halftime
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

George can still paaaaaaauuuuussssse, rewiiiiiiiiiiiind etc TV3 on sky so he'll be fine.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:George can still paaaaaaauuuuussssse, rewiiiiiiiiiiiind etc TV3 on sky so he'll be fine.
plus he still has RTE radio show that he does because of their long history of radio
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:George can still paaaaaaauuuuussssse, rewiiiiiiiiiiiind etc TV3 on sky so he'll be fine.
plus he still has RTE radio show that he does because of their long history of radio
Thought he was newstalk no?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

What exactly are RTE doing with the license money that they were outbid by TV3? How can you be a national broadcaster and loose one of the longest running most culturally significant sporting events in Ireland. Is this their shameful treatment of the Pro12 and AIL coming home to roost?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:What exactly are RTE doing with the license money that they were outbid by TV3? How can you be a national broadcaster and loose one of the longest running most culturally significant sporting events in Ireland. Is this their shameful treatment of the Pro12 and AIL coming home to roost?
RTE can't exactly blat away their share of the Licence money on sporting rights. FIrstly, not everyone likes sports. Secondly, not everyone who likes sports likes rugby. I guarantee you that if the viewing public were given the choice of RTE spending that money on winning back the rights for the rugby or for the GAA (thats on Sky), TV3 wouldn't need to cancel that dome polish order for Woody.

The licence fee should be, and in the main is (though not as much as it used to be), used for the creation and development of indigenous programming that otherwise would not be commercially viable and supporting new broadcasting technology in its incubation phase like it was for DTT and DAB
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

all the cr@p thats on sports websites and social media today seems to forget Hook and McGurk are already retired

this story is the front cover of today's Sun, good sign for the growth in popularity of the game
Last edited by simonokeeffe on November 12th, 2015, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

all the cr@p thats on sports websites and social media today seems to forget Hook and McGurk are already retired
I just cant keep up with you post modernists
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm looking forward to what RTE do in the post-fuckwit world. They have O'Shea, Horgan and ROG who have been great
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'm looking forward to what RTE do in the post-fuckwit world. They have O'Shea, Horgan and ROG who have been great
They'll go all out to get the 2019 RWC....then Hook will come out of retirement.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Am I alone in thinking Shaggy isn't great? Long meandering points, talking over people without much to add. ROG is great in some ways but seems nervous to me a lot of the time, not sure he's made for TV. I'd like to see how he goes on co commentary, still enjoying listening to him but just don't think he's all that confident on camera. Maybe it'll just take time, BOD is certainly improving in terms of his punditry.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Am I alone in thinking Shaggy isn't great? Long meandering points, talking over people without much to add. ROG is great in some ways but seems nervous to me a lot of the time, not sure he's made for TV. I'd like to see how he goes on co commentary, still enjoying listening to him but just don't think he's all that confident on camera. Maybe it'll just take time, BOD is certainly improving in terms of his punditry.
Not alone in thinking that about Shaggy, doesn't seem comfortable and focused all the time. I think he works well with O'Gara though.

Is BOD improving? Good.

Overall RTE's offering with O'Shea, Shaggy, BOD etc. was really good. It's just a pity...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Am I alone in thinking Shaggy isn't great? Long meandering points, talking over people without much to add. ROG is great in some ways but seems nervous to me a lot of the time, not sure he's made for TV. I'd like to see how he goes on co commentary, still enjoying listening to him but just don't think he's all that confident on camera. Maybe it'll just take time, BOD is certainly improving in terms of his punditry.
Not alone in thinking that about Shaggy, doesn't seem comfortable and focused all the time. I think he works well with O'Gara though.

Is BOD improving? Good.

Overall RTE's offering with O'Shea, Shaggy, BOD etc. was really good. It's just a pity...
Shaggy's presentation mighn't be the best, but what he does say/raise/point out is excellent, even if he gets the names wrong some times

As he already works for Sky too nothing stopping him doing TV3 too when the time comes, rather than just doing 3 A.Is
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

TerenureJim wrote:What exactly are RTE doing with the license money that they were outbid by TV3? How can you be a national broadcaster and loose one of the longest running most culturally significant sporting events in Ireland. Is this their shameful treatment of the Pro12 and AIL coming home to roost?
Now Gordon has retired, they have given up on rugby and give all the cash to Ray.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
domhnallj wrote:I think I read somewhere that the BBC were sharing the six nations with ITV. No idea where I read that so might have dreamed it. In any case, not sure how that would work in Ireland with that UTV Ireland thing.
You are correct, from 2016, each year, ITV will show live coverage of England, Ireland and Italy home matches and the BBC will show live coverage of Scotland, Wales and France home matches.

UTV up here have been sold to ITV due to the massive loses incurred with UTV Ireland so they will probably show them on UTV.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

UTV up here have been sold to ITV due to the massive loses incurred with UTV Ireland so they will probably show them on UTV.
Won't they now be rebranded as ITV? In any case, can people who had UTV Ireland foisted on them as a replacement for UTV get access to ITV? I remember reading that folks were bent right out of shape becasue UTV Ireland sucks donkey balls.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd love to meet the person who came up with the idea for UTV Ireland and just ask them what they were thinking.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Ah but you're confusing the locals.

There is ITV (the network) which is part owned by ITV (the channe)l which is itself fully owned by ITV (the company). ITV (the network) is branded as UTV (the channel) in Northern Ireland and UTV (the company) which owns UTV (the channel) and part owns ITV (the network) has been sold to ITV (the company).
I have Bumbleflex