Central Contracts

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Central Contracts

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:Upgrade in the sense of putting GEM on a MacBook Pro!
Nerd burn
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:What about Dillane? Connacht have being agitating to be given a central contracted player for a while now. Could Dillane be given one for political reasons as much as talent?
He'll probably be upgraded when he moves to Munster. :wink:
Dillane shouldve gotten one anyway but makes ya think if hed known Ryan is off would he have stayed at Connacht? Bit like when we lost 3 back 3 players the one summer
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

:[/quote]

Dillane shouldve gotten one anyway but makes ya think if hed known Ryan is off would he have stayed at Connacht? Bit like when we lost 3 back 3 players the one summer[/quote]

Would suspect he is a long way off one, considering some of the regular selections without one. One or two THPs and maybe another one or two half-backs? If I was paying, and based on most recent evidence and positions ar risk, the first contract I'd west would be to Marmion.

Dillane has to produce a few consistent 60 mins+ for Ireland to prove he could partner Hendo and or Dev at RWC. 20 min cameos are great for appearance money and win bonus but not for 2/3 year contract.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but is there financial pressure to play centrally contracted players ahead of new guys? I don't know what the going rate for provincially/externally contracted players is to play for Ireland but it would be big enough I'm guessing. This has struck me in the past with form selections but really stood out when Bowe was picked during the 6N this year.

I don't want to climb into the selectors minds for this, just wondering if anyone in the know can shed some light on the cost of training/playing with the national team.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote::
Dillane shouldve gotten one anyway but makes ya think if hed known Ryan is off would he have stayed at Connacht? Bit like when we lost 3 back 3 players the one summer[/quote]

Would suspect he is a long way off one, considering some of the regular selections without one. One or two THPs and maybe another one or two half-backs? If I was paying, and based on most recent evidence and positions ar risk, the first contract I'd west would be to Marmion.

Dillane has to produce a few consistent 60 mins+ for Ireland to prove he could partner Hendo and or Dev at RWC. 20 min cameos are great for appearance money and win bonus but not for 2/3 year contract.[/quote]

theres been a few odd exlcusions like Cronin and Reddan never got one, but at time of negotiations Dillane was a fixture in the 23
Jackson shouldve gotten one

Zebo will probably replace Bowe
Stander, Furlong, Ringrose up in 2018
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
johng wrote:Furlong and Possibly Ringrose to get one next year.

Bowe not to be renewed. Possibly one of Payne or Kearney too.

Trimble still up in the air this year.

Payne Kearney and Trimble will all be 32 at the end of their current contracts.
Furlong is the poster child for a central contract
Ringrose worth one but Bundee Aki shaped elephant rearing its head again

Bowe is definitely not getting another one
Trimble would be a surprise, though his last one was a big surprise at the time, age and likelihood of leaving seriously against him

Depending on pecking order etc Payne and or RK might get 1 year deals to get them to RWC, Best probably assumed hes not leaving (especially if hes still captain as unlikely as that is)
Payne is already on one from time he qualified, Trimble will get a one year central plus another year Ulster, there are contracts signed for some of our players that have never been announced for some strange reason.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not that they necessarily award them based on position but there is a gap at 2 and 7 currently.

Cian Healy........2021

Tadhg Furlong……2021
James Ryan......2023
Iain Henderson…..2021
Peter O'Mahony........2021

CJ Stander…..2021
Conor Murray........2022
Jonny Sexton........2021
Keith Earls........2021
Bundee Aki…...2023
Garry Ringrose….2022
Jacob Stockdale…..2023
Robbie Henshaw…..2022
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The IRFU and Rugby Players Ireland (RPI) have agreed on a 10 per cent salary reduction and a 10 per cent salary deferral, both for the period from July 1st to December 31st, 2020 for players earning in excess of €25,000 per annum.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote: July 13th, 2020, 11:00 pm The IRFU and Rugby Players Ireland (RPI) have agreed on a 10 per cent salary reduction and a 10 per cent salary deferral, both for the period from July 1st to December 31st, 2020 for players earning in excess of €25,000 per annum.
That's very little considering the hit the IRFU are taking.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Probably a few up for grabs next season.

They normally have 13 or so on the go.

These are the players with CC past the WC.

Peter O'Mahony........2024
Conor Murray........2024
Bundee Aki…...2024

Tadhg Beirne…..2025
Andrew Porter…..2025
Garry Ringrose….2025
Tadhg Furlong……2025
Robbie Henshaw…..2025

Hugo Keenan…..2026

We have 5 expiring at or before the WC of which you would assume James Ryan and Ian Henderson will get a renewal with Stockdale already announced for an Ulster contract. (rather than central)

The other 2 are Sexton and Earls. Can we have some pointless speculation on who will get these.

I'll start..... James Lowe
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Mack Hansen
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah that's what I thought. Give Connacht a bit of love. Especially if Bundy is off to Munster as rumoured
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd have to think that Doris and vdF would be prime candidates when renewal time comes.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Both of them signed Leinster contracts last season. Unlikely to have been single year
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lowe and GJP could be candidates but they're coming to it late and the IRFU can probably keep them on Leinster contracts, they're paying the bill either way in the end.

I'd say they'll reduce the number as they wait to see who emerges from the next generation. They'll also want to keep one spare for an outhalf if a clear winner emerges.

If they don't give any new ones out they could be down to 8 by the end of next season. Central contracts served a purpose when players like BOD and POC were too big for their provinces to keep them easily and when there was little depth in the Ireland squad. The Eddie O'Sullivan system of being able to pick most of the team a year or two in advance isn't as relevant now.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

johng wrote: March 15th, 2023, 2:43 pmWe have 5 expiring at or before the WC of which you would assume James Ryan and Ian Henderson will get a renewal with Stockdale already announced for an Ulster contract. (rather than central)
Not convinced Henderson has earned one and could easily miss out at another province.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

ronk wrote: March 16th, 2023, 1:08 am Lowe and GJP could be candidates but they're coming to it late and the IRFU can probably keep them on Leinster contracts, they're paying the bill either way in the end.

I'd say they'll reduce the number as they wait to see who emerges from the next generation. They'll also want to keep one spare for an outhalf if a clear winner emerges.

If they don't give any new ones out they could be down to 8 by the end of next season. Central contracts served a purpose when players like BOD and POC were too big for their provinces to keep them easily and when there was little depth in the Ireland squad. The Eddie O'Sullivan system of being able to pick most of the team a year or two in advance isn't as relevant now.
The number of central contracts have gone down a lot over the last few years. Appearance bonuses and win bonuses for internationals went up a good amount the same time the IRFU started cutting central contracts.

Theres probably 50-60 players contracted to the provinces that think in the back of their mind if they get lucky they could get an international call up and a pay boost of 100-200K in a season.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The number of central contracts went down a good few years ago. They have been fairly constant at about 13 for at least 5 years. Maybe more I'd have to check
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Stockdale officially announced on Ulster contract as expected.

As far as I can make out the number of CCs has been 15 or under for over 10 years now and 13 for at least 5 years.

I'd say there will be 2 more announced or 3 if Henderson doesn't get a renewal.

I'd also say these are already signed or close to signed.

Just a matter of who it is.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: March 16th, 2023, 1:08 am Lowe and GJP could be candidates but they're coming to it late and the IRFU can probably keep them on Leinster contracts, they're paying the bill either way in the end.

There is a distinction between who bears the bill between a central contract and a Provincial one. The Union make a contribution to every Provincial contract, on specific scales. These are common to all contracts at Provincial level (despite the big difference in costs of living in different locations).

However, the Provinces negotiate individual contracts and they differ significantly, even within Provinces. Any add-on to the Union contract comes from within a Provincial budget and is funded by gate takings, sponsorship, merchandising etc. Some Provinces still enjoy sponsorship deals which include significant uplift for success in competition, which generally goes to Squad players on Provincial contracts.

So, yes, there is a big difference between a Central Contract and a Provincial one as to who pays the money. However, ultimate success is what can make up a lot of the difference.