Scrap the Lions?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Scrap the Lions?

Post by domhnallj »

I spent three weeks touring around Argentina in 2008 and the most dangerous thing I came across was portion size. I even had the pleasure of seeing a wild snake in Patagonia.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lar wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:st tour to Argentina games were in the provinces, they were accompanied full time by an Argentinian special forces unit. Also who would the lions play, there is only 1 super rugby team. Japan is the same, its a joke and any suggestion to tour there would be greeted by laughter.

We see it from our perspective as the lions holding the cards, but the Lions are a none event without somewhere credible to tour. It there is no where to tour, its our tradition and money that is lost. The old Tri-nations hold more of the cards that we give credit for.

Also it seems to me, that the lions, and 4 nations are traditionally reactionary and lack balls, Id question they have any balls at all in fact.
Argentina is backward and dangerous? No it ain't.
Ask Jeremy Clarkson

this is mostly a joke and I fully accept there were particular 'English' reasons for what happened but they could theoretically be repeated for a Lions tour

Jeremy is backward and dangerous himself.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I'm more and more convinced the Lions is just an exercise is egotism for individual players totally at odds with rugby's team mentality. Players pulling out of big matches with their clubs with minor niggles to be ready for the lions is frankly shameful behaviour and indicative of the levels of narcissism involved.

When you cut through all the bullshit and the hype the Lions is essentially an exercise in "ME, ME, ME!!". Ain't "I" great to be included in this "elite" group? Ain't I fantastic, sure why should I be arsed with little things like national finals? Shameful egotistic bullshit!

There was a time I would have been been sad if Jack McGrath was ruled out of the Lions. Now I think, no problem, better to have him rested over the summer than bashing away on this worthless cr@p. If Tadgh is gone too, again, no worries, let him be remembered for what he does with Ireland, not in a red jersey.

As for Sexton and O'Brien, it's clear both these guys have a finite amount of rugby left in their fragile bodies. I would prefer that rugby be played in blue and green jerseys rather than worthless runs in red jerseys.

This is a nonsense!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Good news is theyre starting a Lions womens team
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Future Lions squads shouldn't be announced until our season is over and when the Heineken Cup, Pro12 and Premiership finals have all taken place. That way players might have to play until the end of the season and all this nonsense talk of having more important games to look forward to during the summer mightn't happen.

The Pro12 and Premiership finals are both on next Saturday. How much better would it be to have these games played then announce the Lions squad on the Sunday? Push any future tours out by maybe a month so they take place in July and if the SANZAR unions want the Lions tours so badly then let them reschedule their competitions to accommodate a later tour.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

I now have another reason to dislike the British Lions, it ruins the domestic season finale in the Home Countries and Italy. It would have been interesting to see how Leinster would have preformed against Scarlets, if they left all of the Lions out of the squad. A focused squad uncontaminated by British Lions gravy trainers might actually have all been on the same page. Who knows what might have happened.
#ScrapTheLions
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Who's pulling out of games to save themselves for the Lions?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The accusations are getting a bit crazy now. Sexton was cr@p, but it's ludicrous to say that's because of the lions. He clearly hurt himself after hurling himself at lads twice in the first chunk of the match. That's not minding yourself for the lions.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Donny B. wrote:I'm more and more convinced the Lions is just an exercise is egotism for individual players totally at odds with rugby's team mentality. Players pulling out of big matches with their clubs with minor niggles to be ready for the lions is frankly shameful behaviour and indicative of the levels of narcissism involved.

When you cut through all the bullshit and the hype the Lions is essentially an exercise in "ME, ME, ME!!". Ain't "I" great to be included in this "elite" group? Ain't I fantastic, sure why should I be arsed with little things like national finals? Shameful egotistic bullshit!

There was a time I would have been been sad if Jack McGrath was ruled out of the Lions. Now I think, no problem, better to have him rested over the summer than bashing away on this worthless cr@p. If Tadgh is gone too, again, no worries, let him be remembered for what he does with Ireland, not in a red jersey.

As for Sexton and O'Brien, it's clear both these guys have a finite amount of rugby left in their fragile bodies. I would prefer that rugby be played in blue and green jerseys rather than worthless runs in red jerseys.

This is a nonsense!
Wouldn't it be better if he wasn't injured at all and came back from the lions uninjured?!
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twatlands Lions looking like a 9-1 lost series. Hopefully that will put to bed the one dimensional accolades he got last time around for barely beating the Worst Australian team of all time.
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Paddy Power were offering 100/1 on that after the first game!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The thing here is that I reckon England, Wales and Ireland would probably get better results alone in New Zealand.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

lions lions lions :shock:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

nsfw
Show Spoiler:
Last edited by limecat on August 9th, 2017, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler to hide nsfw gif
#ScrapTheLions
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

HERE COMES WISDOW... :)

JSex played with a broken wrist in the last test. I feel this will make him [I don't really] an immeasurably better player for Ireland. This is because of the meme, that injuries, are well worth the experience of playing for the British-Lions. Let's see how this one plays out.

Will a crippled JSex limp through the rwc2019, if he even makes it that far? Only time will tell. But nobody can take those ex-British-Lions speaking engagements away from him. That's money in the bank.

I genuinely hope all the Irish qualified British-Lions, are given the Autumn off, and OTHER options are developed in that period. This is the only way to make the British-Lions cr@p mean something.

Then for the 6 Nations, I hope a discordant highly competitive team of individuals are stacked against each other for the 6 Nations. Feck the results btw, the players who perform get selected. This is the time to pit the young players against the jaded/injured British-Lions undroppables, or BBC media darlings, before we are stuck with them at rwc2019. Like we were at rwc2007, when we had no options to bad form/injuries. (I know 2007 wasn't a Lions issue, but the result will be the same if we don't develop other options now for 2019, in the season to come).

At the end of the 6 Nations, I hope the following are dispensed with for the rwc2019: injured British-Lions and non competitive Irish journeymen. Hopefully, a competitive squad, of fit talented players, is then selected to WIN the rwc2019.

From this British-Lions bad hand, lets get the best of our talent pool. Don't suffer injured malingerers, make them fight harder than they ever did for their Lions gravy-train. Don't cut them any slack coz they were British-Lions. Judge them harder because they were. They deserve the higher inspection because they put some artificial commercial ideal above their country.

Let's see how many of the Lions make rwc2019, I think injury will rob a good portion of them from representing their country in rwc2019.

#NorthernHemisphereShootsItselfInTheFootYetAgain

#LionsManglesOurBestPlayersYetAgain

#ScrapTheLions

#ThisWasARantToGenerateDebate - the sentiments expressed above are sincere, but I know they are not universally held, and i welcome the opposing view :)
#ScrapTheLions
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I'm really getting sick of this sort of unbridled shite. Only one person says Sexton is crippled? The narrative that the Lions tours wreck players is utter b*%&!x and should be always treated as utter b*%&!x. Don't like rugby? You're on the wrong forum.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Lions Lions Lions. :D :wink:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

NZ appealing SBWs ban
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Appealing the interpretation of it.

If those games didn't count towards the ban then maybe he should have been able to play in them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ronk wrote:Appealing the interpretation of it.

If those games didn't count towards the ban then maybe he should have been able to play in them.
Wait, what?