James' opposite number scored 2 tries in the pivotal second test
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Scrap the Lions?

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
what matters is Dai Young wasnt a Lions test prop in Martin Moore's lifetime
Not only does it not matter, its actually a stupidly irrelevant assertion in the first place. Are telling me that someone on an elite professional pathway wouldn't know the greats who'd gone before them? Wouldn't have a bunch of tapes (or files these days) of them in action supplied by family, coaches and mentors. Wouldn't want to work with them. f%~king hell, even in my business I have documentaries about Peter Saville, Hipgnosis and the Bauhaus on the shelf I'm looking at right now. Are you telling me you don't have a little bit of Lenny or Jackie Mason knocking around your gaff? Think about what you're actually saying. What you're saying is that someone born this year, who goes on to be a centre or a lock at an elite level would have no interest in working with BOD or Brad Thorn, wouldn't find the prospect of working with them attractive, wouldn't find it a swing element in a close choice between clubs.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was the one who initially scoffed at The rumours saying Marty wanted to work with Dai Young. I'm a few years older than Marty and have very very little recollection of him playing. Just searched for him on YouTube and the first thing that comes up is a Kesha video, and I can't see any clips of his play. It was a different time and the only rugby I remember watching on TV when I was growing up was the 5N. He retired when Marty was 11...I'd say the chances of Marty having any recollection of him as a player are slim to nil.

It's certainly possible that Marty was aware of Young's career when he on the way to signing, but that's a bit different to the way Thornley painted it like he wanted to be mentored by a childhood hero. And that's what led to me scoffing at the rumour and Simon making the joke.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
what matters is Dai Young wasnt a Lions test prop in Martin Moore's lifetime
Not only does it not matter, its actually a stupidly irrelevant assertion in the first place. Are telling me that someone on an elite professional pathway wouldn't know the greats who'd gone before them? Wouldn't have a bunch of tapes (or files these days) of them in action supplied by family, coaches and mentors. Wouldn't want to work with them. f%~king hell, even in my business I have documentaries about Peter Saville, Hipgnosis and the Bauhaus on the shelf I'm looking at right now. Are you telling me you don't have a little bit of Lenny or Jackie Mason knocking around your gaff? Think about what you're actually saying. What you're saying is that someone born this year, who goes on to be a centre or a lock at an elite level would have no interest in working with BOD or Brad Thorn, wouldn't find the prospect of working with them attractive, wouldn't find it a swing element in a close choice between clubs.
were Lions games even televised in 91?
is Dai Young one of the greats (outside of Wales)?
IF Niall Woods via Gerry Thornley had said he was really stoked about working with someone he had actually seen playing in a successful team I'd believe it, especially if they were one of the French props of 2000s, as front row purists they may be, I doubt Marty or many Irish players grew up playing rugby in the back garden pretending to be that Welsh guy from the Lions midweek side when he was 9 year sold who was in a Welsh side that never finished better than 3rd in a championship while Marty was able to form memories

Difference is there are mass, accessible archives of likes of BOD, Thorn who won a lot of trophies and were much more prominent on the world stage.

An Irish kid growing up with Dai Young as their hero would be like an Irish musician growing up wanting to be in Catatonia or Stereophonics
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
were Lions games even televised in 91?
is Dai Young one of the greats (outside of Wales)?
IF Niall Woods via Gerry Thornley had said he was really stoked about working with someone he had actually seen playing in a successful team I'd believe it, especially if they were one of the French props of 2000s, as front row purists they may be, I doubt Marty or many Irish players grew up playing rugby in the back garden pretending to be that Welsh guy from the Lions midweek side when he was 9 year sold who was in a Welsh side that never finished better than 3rd in a championship while Marty was able to form memories

Difference is there are mass, accessible archives of likes of BOD, Thorn who won a lot of trophies and were much more prominent on the world stage.

An Irish kid growing up with Dai Young as their hero would be like an Irish musician growing up wanting to be in Catatonia or Stereophonics
No, an Irish kid growing up with Dai Young as their hero would be like an Irish musician growing up wanting to be in Led Zeppelin or Taste. Thats the level Dai Young operated at, you can't seem to accept that.

I can however confirm that no Lions games were televised in '91 :P The 89 and 93 tours were televised, tests were live on RTE with tour matches shown as live, and the whole lot was live on the Beeb. (in fact all three tests from 89 are on YouTube).
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
No, an Irish kid growing up with Dai Young as their hero would be like an Irish musician growing up wanting to be in Led Zeppelin or Taste. Thats the level Dai Young operated at, you can't seem to accept that.
It might have been the level he operated at, but his influence would probably only have impacted guys who were at least ten years older than Marty. Not every professional has an encyclopedic knowledge of those who went before them, particularly when access to their work is limited/not timeless, which is blatantly the case with Young. Just different eras, simple as that.

Now if Carl Hayman was on the Wasps' coaching team it'd be a different story.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

My Japanese paedatrician tells me most chunky kids grow up wanting to be number 8s
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!!! :D :D :D

#ScrapTheLions
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

In reply to my own point... Keith Earls?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... our-of-ne/

McCafferty talking sense for once although no doubt he has ulterior financial motives
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dai Young was a fine tighthead in the amateur era but was shite when he returned from League and was blessed to go on the tours in 97 (when he lost out to a replacement in Paul Wallace cause he was so poor) and especially in 01 when he was there mainly for drinking sessions.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Word on "da streets" is Dai was fond of reprising Chris Farrelly's fat-guy-in-a-little-coat routine after a few ales on the '01 trip. Usually with scrum-halves' Matt Dawson or Austin Healy's blazers. This is believed to have contributed to both scrum-halves poor form on the tour and their subsequent petulant newspaper columns which further undermined the tour.

This post has not been fact checked.
#ScrapTheLions
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Saw Gatland in Edinburgh this morning in a Lions branded range rover.. Announcement soon I wonder?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

jimbobjoe wrote:Saw Gatland in Edinburgh this morning in a Lions branded range rover.. Announcement soon I wonder?
Tomorrow.

Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hopefully we get concurrent Joe announcement, me thinks he goes at seasons end
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

FLIP wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Saw Gatland in Edinburgh this morning in a Lions branded range rover.. Announcement soon I wonder?
Tomorrow.

Best man for a shite, worthless, waste of everyone's time job. The Sky Sports and News International team are already trying to ramp up the usual hype but you do get a sense that more than the usual amount of rugby people are questioning the point of this whole thing.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Here's Gatland being photographed in a Lions top earlier.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... ns-head-c/
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wales are gonna be fuvkin knackered next season
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Wales are gonna be fuvkin knackered next season
Yeah, summer tour was the first time they changed their gameplan in 7 years, dare I say that makes us favourites for the championship now?