6N 2016 (other teams)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: 6N 2016 (other teams)

Post by FLIP »

artaneboy wrote:What about acting like a total w*#ker for most of the match- as illustrated by these two incidents??? Surely that worthy of a ban.
If that were the case Delon Armitage, Austin Healey, Dylan Hartley, Liam Williams, Paul James, etc etc etc would have been banned for life.
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

artaneboy wrote: Just one thing- I know you didn't state they were driven from their lands by any particular group- Normans, English, etc. But I think I read that "Travellers" were knocking around Ireland for a lot longer than the the 12th century. Plenty of fighting going on between clans, etc even then.
Well indeed. There were all kinds of travelling people in many countries for many reasons over time. eg. Many Travellers have the surname Ward which I think comes from poet or traveling performer. Also they were called Tinkers as they turned their hand to "tinsmithing" and repairs to household items.

Meath and Westmeath split in 1543 which is around the time that you get the first references to what we now call travellers. Not claiming any link with that actual event but there was much "putting off lands" at that time.

All pre farming hunter gatherers would be Travellers. So if you go back far enough..........

It's all a matter of when your ancestors ceased to "travel" A few generations is enough to make you a "settled" person.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: I'd say Ireland was a scary place back then John?
Well as you know I was quite young in 1543 so I don't remember much of it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

FLIP wrote:
artaneboy wrote:What about acting like a total w*#ker for most of the match- as illustrated by these two incidents??? Surely that worthy of a ban.
If that were the case Delon Armitage, Austin Healey, Dylan Hartley, Liam Williams, Paul James, etc etc etc would have been banned for life.
and the problem there is :D

entry level is 4 weeks, 2 week ban would have been fair enough/sent a message
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

World Rugby now wade in with a "what the f%~k?"

6Ns rulers in trouble on this one. Stupid of them to let someone off on a heat of the moment clause - surely almost all foul play is also heat of the moment
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

olaf the fat wrote:World Rugby now wade in with a "what the f%~k?"

6Ns rulers in trouble on this one. Stupid of them to let someone off on a heat of the moment clause - surely almost all foul play is also heat of the moment
Every action every everything makes is in the heat of that moment.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

even the song 'Heat of the Moment' is unforgivable

didnt world rugby have to give out to us and the French over non citings at the end of last season too?
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

simonokeeffe wrote:

didnt world rugby have to give out to us and the French over non citings at the end of last season too?
Every citing will be explained away by the Marler ruling. Saying sorry at half time is even better than the usual ply of refraining from the biscuits at the hearing.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Heat of the moment? That's extraordinary. Who was the citing commisioner? Jeremy Clarkson?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Surely you're on crack!

Heat Of The Moment is a classic tune.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Heat of the moment? That's extraordinary. Who was the citing commisioner? Jeremy Clarkson?
I thought he didnt like anything from Asia

*gets coat*
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If I were Eddie Jones I'd have dropped Marler for today's game vs France (not just from the starting lineup, but from the squad). Racial remarks have no place in rugby. If the comment had been anti-African, anti-Polynesian or anti-Aboriginal, the reaction would have been much more severe.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

neiliog93 wrote:If I were Eddie Jones I'd have dropped Marler for today's game vs France (not just from the starting lineup, but from the squad). Racial remarks have no place in rugby. If the comment had been anti-African, anti-Polynesian or anti-Aboriginal, the reaction would have been much more severe.
Travellers, unless Roma, are not a race. Even the idea that they are an ethnic group is contentious, as per the discussion we've been having in the thread with at least 3 different views. If they are not a race or ethnic group then it's merely an insult based on life choices.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.
To put that into context.
Rugby is a potentially dangerous physical sport and players can be hurt and hurt badly if not protected properly by the authorities.
And yet the media go ape because one player calls another player names.
The Welsh were sore losers and raised hell over some name calling.
Meanwhile Irelands players get beaten up in France and there isn't even a citing.
The authorities need to get their priorities right and quickly.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

speaking of citings I wonder will Dunbar be the unluckiest man in the 6n and be the only player cited for Sexton related skullduggery
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:speaking of citings I wonder will Dunbar be the unluckiest man in the 6n and be the only player cited for Sexton related skullduggery
Judging by the way things have gone in this 6 Nations it's probably more likely that sexton will be cited for 'unsportsmanlike behaviour' for his 'apparent' play acting after the Dunbar knee to the head and subsequent tackle.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:speaking of citings I wonder will Dunbar be the unluckiest man in the 6n and be the only player cited for Sexton related skullduggery
Judging by the way things have gone in this 6 Nations it's probably more likely that sexton will be cited for 'unsportsmanlike behaviour' for his 'apparent' play acting after the Dunbar knee to the head and subsequent tackle.
he did look for it a bit, not saying Dunbar doesnt deserve a 2 week ban though

Sexton started the big melee under the posts after Toners try (though there was arguably a tip tackle there) by running in and shoving Horne over
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

They aren't a race but they are definitely an ethnic group. Look up ethnogenesis.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

neiliog93 wrote:They aren't a race but they are definitely an ethnic group. Look up ethnogenesis.
What’s meant by race?

The Equality Act says it’s only unlawful discrimination if you’re treated unfairly because of certain reasons. These reasons are called protected characteristics. Race is one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act.

It’s race discrimination if you’re treated unfairly because of one of the following things:

colour
nationality
ethnic origin
national origin.

Some Gypsies and Travellers are protected against discrimination on the basis of their ethnic origins.

Are all Gypsies and Travellers protected against race discrimination?

The courts have said that Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are protected against race discrimination because they’re ethnic groups under the Equality Act.

Taken from ctizensadvice.org.uk
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
he did look for it a bit,
Not sure if anyone bothers looking through the match photos but just in case you haven't had a chance I'll leave these two by Ramsey Cardy for you to look at - they are the first two from a sequence of 5 pictures btw (and just in case anyone is in the mood for a bit of a game how about we all play "Spot The Ball")

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever