Ireland Under 20 2016

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland Under 20 2016

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Lots of supporters will be thinking it, so let's say in words"we could win this".

Watched Argentina v Japan this afternoon and this is the new-style Argentina full of delayed off-loads among the backs, playing slow, slow, quick,quick, slow, rugby, but without the huge muscle of times past.

The Argentina back-three in particular, run with enormous leg drive and go through half tackles and delay their passes until the support player has arrived at pace. The forwards pick and go, and go, and go, rolling through half-tackles and fighting through high tackles to get their hands free.

But they're not as strong as Wales nor as skillful as NZ, two of the pre-Tournament favorites that are out of contention to win, thanks to defeats by Ireland. So, say it low and say it slow, "We can win this". One game at a time, Sweet Jesus!

I saw them in their games against France and South Africa. They're a decent team but were lucky to beat France and the match against SA was error after error. I'd be quietly confident that Ireland will play well and will win this based on what I've seen.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote: One game at a time, Sweet Jesus!
On behalf of my co-workers can I say "thanks a bleedin' bunch" I'm going to be singing that all day tomorrow
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on performances in yesterday's game against Georgia, Carolan and Malone have got some real depth in this Squad and all of the players listed below, IMO, are capable of stepping into the match-day Squad, if required through injuries to any of the front-liners.

14. Terry Kennedy (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
13. Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
12. Paul Kiernan (UCC/Munster)
10. Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster)
9. Niall Saunders (Harlequins/Exiles)
17. Adam Coyle (Naas / Leinster)
2. Vincent O'Brien (Cork Constitution/Munster)
3. Vakh Abdaladze (Clontarf/Leinster)
5. Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster)
7. Conall Boomer (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

Some of these guys made a bigger impression than others and obviously McPhillips is now the starting no. 10, because of Johnson's departure with more shoulder problems. There's no doubt that we will miss him badly as McPhillips just lacks the same presence, both in defence and in his control of attacking options.

However, players such as Vincent O'Brien, Sean O'Connor and Conall Bloomer up front, and Saunders, Jimmy O'Brien and Terry Kennedy proved they have fully aclimatized to this level. Particularly impressive was the appetite for work and execution of Vincent O'Brien, O'Conner and Bloomer who all improved, minute by minute, through this game. Saunders has a delicious passing game on both sides and real acceleration in the break.

This group have been well managed and coached since their lack-lustre 6N campaign. Let's hope the improvement continues and 'stage fright' doesn't bite against Argentina.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Abdaladze seemed ok in the scrums once Porter came on
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Abdaladze seemed ok in the scrums once Porter came on
They werent on the field together yesterday.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Vincent O'Brien was exceptional, really liked the look of him.

Deegan seems to be taking on more and more responsibility. He has the ability to dominate games but I didn't think he got stuck in enough during the 6N, much better in the last few games though.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Bah

Porter scrummed well anyways
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Of your list above, Terry Kennedy didn't convince me massively, but we'll see how he does if he gets a chance later in the comp. Bar the hooker O'Brien, none of the pack looked on the same level as the starters against NZ, but Georgia were a much more physical challenge than a pretty tame Kiwi pack, to be fair.

McPhillips defensively wasn't as solid as Johnson and his linekicking not as good, but I was impressed with his composure and I thought he moved the backline well at times (though not enough for my liking - a lot of percentage kicking)

Saunders has a bullet of a pass - it went a bit astray on him a couple of times but there are some very good raw ingredients there. Chose the right side of the breakdown nearly every time, brought his pack in well and passed it out in front of receivers. Boxkicking distance needs work.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Great thing about Saunders compared to other wolfpuppy exiles of the last ten years is youd assume being the son of a former Ireland skipper has him hell bent on playing for Ireland
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

jezzer wrote:Of your list above, Terry Kennedy didn't convince me massively, but we'll see how he does if he gets a chance later in the comp. Bar the hooker O'Brien, none of the pack looked on the same level as the starters against NZ, but Georgia were a much more physical challenge than a pretty tame Kiwi pack, to be fair.

McPhillips defensively wasn't as solid as Johnson and his linekicking not as good, but I was impressed with his composure and I thought he moved the backline well at times (though not enough for my liking - a lot of percentage kicking)

Saunders has a bullet of a pass - it went a bit astray on him a couple of times but there are some very good raw ingredients there. Chose the right side of the breakdown nearly every time, brought his pack in well and passed it out in front of receivers. Boxkicking distance needs work.
Did you not think that Cashel 2nd row O'Connor and No 7 from Ulster looked more and more comfortable at this level, by the minute.

Agree entirely about Kennedy, but included him for his running in leading up to first try. Very illusive and no fear about counter-attacking.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It was a good showing from the second string. First game out for most of them and they played well considering. Some stand out performers like O'Brien, O'Connor, Keenan, Boomer and Kennedy looked lively.

Porter and Coyle made a big difference to the scrum when they came on. The starting props had a hard time of it.

Saunders looks a good prospect but not at Kerins' level, a least not yet. Kerins has been outstanding. Best Irish 9 at this level I've seen.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

dropkick wrote:It was a good showing from the second string. First game out for most of them and they played well considering. .............

Saunders looks a good prospect but not at Kerins' level, a least not yet. Kerins has been outstanding. Best Irish 9 at this level I've seen.
+1
Totally agree, he is a superbly equipped player who has made a great contribution. As I have mentioned previously, he's one of three Sligo lads who have represented Ireland this Season (Prop Conan O'Donnell in 6N is now injured). Wonderful for that Club.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It'sffair to say Ireland are the surprise package of this tournament eliminating the two favourites in the process.
Argentina not too far behind.
Questions is who is going to win the battle of the minnows.
Are Ireland likely to be the fresher of the team teams.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

5:30 today on sky sports and Tg4

Ireland U20s:

15. Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster)
14. Matthew Byrne (Terenure / Leinster)
13. Shane Daly (Cork Con / Munster)
12. Conor O’Brien (Clontarf / Leinster)
11. Hugo Keenan (UCD / Leinster)
10. Johnny McPhillips (Queen’s University / Ulster)
9. Stephen Kerins (Sligo / Connacht)
1. Andrew Porter (UCD / Leinster)
2. Adam McBurney (Ballymena / Ulster)
3. Ben Betts (Young Munster / Munster)
4. Sean O’Connor (Cashel / Munster)
5. James Ryan (Lansdowne / Leinster) Captain
6. Greg Jones (UCD / Leinster)
7. David Aspil (St.Mary’s RFC / Leinster)
8. Max Deegan (Lansdowne / Leinster)
Replacements
16. Vincent O’Brien (Cork Con / Munster)
17. James Bollard (Dublin University / Leinster)
18. Adam Coyle (Naas / Leinster)
19. Evan Mintern (Cork Con / Munster)
20. Kelvin Brown (Shannon / Munster)
21. Niall Saunders (Harlequins)
22. Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons)
23. Jimmy O’Brien (UCD / Leinster)

Mostly unchanged from the NZ game. O'Connor comes in for the injured Gallagher. Mintern and Coyle come onto the bench.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:It'sffair to say Ireland are the surprise package of this tournament eliminating the two favourites in the process.
Argentina not too far behind.
Questions is who is going to win the battle of the minnows.
Are Ireland likely to be the fresher of the team teams.

Argentina made 5 changes. 2 forwards, 3 backs.

Ireland made 11 changes. 6 forwards, 5 backs
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Probably just as well they didn't make the last four. New Zealand went 28-0 up against Wales inside 11 minutes of their 5th/8th playoff match
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

cormac wrote:Probably just as well they didn't make the last four. New Zealand went 28-0 up against Wales inside 11 minutes of their 5th/8th playoff match
Welsh must be just phoning that one in as there is no way they should be getting hammered so badly. Last I saw was 54 - 12.

Looking forward to a good Irish performance. Some quality in this team.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Fireworks wrote:
cormac wrote:Probably just as well they didn't make the last four. New Zealand went 28-0 up against Wales inside 11 minutes of their 5th/8th playoff match
Welsh must be just phoning that one in as there is no way they should be getting hammered so badly. Last I saw was 54 - 12.

Looking forward to a good Irish performance. Some quality in this team.
Georgia currently 18-10 up on Italy.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

NZ Wales finishes 71 - 12. Ouch.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Good start 7-0 up, Argies very physical as expected.