Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Ireland v Wales 6Ns 2016

Post by the spoofer »

Golf Man wrote:
waterboy wrote:
Golf Man wrote: Other players have been far far more guilty of clangesr which actually cost the team
Zebo was awol for the kick behind Trimble which led to the Welsh scrum on our 5 metre line, which Wales then scored their try from. It was one of a litany of situational clangers he made right throughout the game. He hadn't a rashers of where he should be and shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish 15 jersey. There's more to playing full back than just making one or two highlight reel carries. He also nearly gifted Liam Williams a try by dropping a fairly straight forward catch over the line only for Williams to knock it on. We'd probably have won yesterday if we'd had a full back playing full back.

Leave him on the wing where he belongs and where he can let his mind wander for a while and is less likely to costs us.

Trying to defend his game yesterday is ridiculous.
spoofeR - have a look at the42.ie analysis of our defence - no blame attached to zebo there - he could possibly have done better

the other one where we are on a complete scramble and he is defending in his in goal with two attackers bearing down on him - fairly straight forward catch - try to have some balance

joke bias on here as bad as I've seen

Did you see me blame his defence other than a terrible attempt at a tackle when chasing a box kick? It was the numerous other errors he made that I was commenting on.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Watched the game again last night, Garces had a terrible game! Earls very unlucky with his tackle imo, Williams turned in the tackle, very impressive defence from Earls as long as he was on. The backrow (all four of them) were brilliant, got through so much work. Jack McGrath 80 minutes was great also. Half backs were very good, centres were also. Henshaw against Roberts was great to watch (Roberts would have gotten my mom to be honest)! Trimble put in a good shift, bit slow to get back for the lead up to the Welsh try but he put in at least 3 huge hits also. Zebo......some nice breaks (thought he could have passed the ball earlier on a couple of occasions too) but I thought the longer the game went on the worse he got (would say the same if it was anybody else - Leinster, Connacht or Ulster!!), unless he gets game time at 15 for Munster then I feel he has to be exclusively looked at just a winger, has all the talent in the world but I just think he switches off too easily.

SOB, RK (Zebo to wing), Ross and may Ryan (huge shift put in by McCarthy) all to come in this weekend against the French, freshen things up a bit. As the pundits commented on, the 6 day turn around after a game like that is not easy
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Zebo is usually pretty solid in the air and his kicking game can be excellent too. He was cack against Wales however in both these areas. Its obvious that he is low on confidence at the moment, hasn't been pulling up any trees for Munster this season either. He won't be playing FB next weekend and if Earls is fit to play then he wont be on the wing either but could make the 23.
Ross, SOB and Rob will be welcome additions to the 1st 15.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

flustered wrote:Watched the game again last night, Garces had a terrible game! Earls very unlucky with his tackle imo, Williams turned in the tackle, very impressive defence from Earls as long as he was on. The backrow (all four of them) were brilliant, got through so much work. Jack McGrath 80 minutes was great also. Half backs were very good, centres were also. Henshaw against Roberts was great to watch (Roberts would have gotten my mom to be honest)! Trimble put in a good shift, bit slow to get back for the lead up to the Welsh try but he put in at least 3 huge hits also. Zebo......some nice breaks (thought he could have passed the ball earlier on a couple of occasions too) but I thought the longer the game went on the worse he got (would say the same if it was anybody else - Leinster, Connacht or Ulster!!), unless he gets game time at 15 for Munster then I feel he has to be exclusively looked at just a winger, has all the talent in the world but I just think he switches off too easily.

SOB, RK (Zebo to wing), Ross and may Ryan (huge shift put in by McCarthy) all to come in this weekend against the French, freshen things up a bit. As the pundits commented on, the 6 day turn around after a game like that is not easy
In the absence of a McLoskeyPayne switch around all those changes would be good - Ryan is a better lineout operator and asking McCarthy to play 6 days after the France game is too much imo. SOB a no brainer - Ruddock or TOD on the bench - probably Ruddckbut either are fine imo - agree completely on Zebo - having the ability to cover full back is obviously an advantage - and if Payne and Henshaw aren't going to be given that role (and it doesn't look like they will) then he has o be in the 23 - has anyone else been called up - if Earls is out are the ony back 3 players Zebo Kearney x 2 & Trimble?.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I thought TOD had a really great game and I really liked the balance. I'm not convinced starting Seanie is a no brainer. I won't complain if he is at all but I thought Tommy earned another crack.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

jezzer wrote:I thought TOD had a really great game and I really liked the balance. I'm not convinced starting Seanie is a no brainer. I won't complain if he is at all but I thought Tommy earned another crack.
With the 6 day turnaround, I wouldn't be too surprised if Joe has a few preplanned changes. He could weldo something left field like bringing both Ruddock and O'Brien in.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

CiaranIrl wrote:
jezzer wrote:I thought TOD had a really great game and I really liked the balance. I'm not convinced starting Seanie is a no brainer. I won't complain if he is at all but I thought Tommy earned another crack.
With the 6 day turnaround, I wouldn't be too surprised if Joe has a few preplanned changes. He could weldo something left field like bringing both Ruddock and O'Brien in.
Unlikely. Stander was MOTM vs Wales and Joe won't drop Heaslip. I'd imagine Seanie is absolutely guaranteed a place on the bench, and likely to start.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It really was brutal. Rare that you get games of that physical intensity for the majority of the 80 minutes. With that in mind I'd make plenty of changes for next week but am sure that wont be the case. The difference that SOB, Rob at fullback, and Zebo back to the wing could make could be huge. Don't think Zebo is usually that bad at his actual fullback duties but he had a nightmare positionally, under the high ball, and with the boot. As dangerous as he was in attack, thought he could have passed to Earls when he made the break from deep in the first half. He made yards but think he could have done better. But I'm looking forward to him getting on the ball and playmaking from the wing next weekend.

Our clear outs were brilliant for the whole game. Really surprised that we were able to keep that up the whole time.

All in all there really isn't much I'd have changed. For me it was Garces getting the scrum calls wrong that cost us, not our own play. He always allows a good contest at the breakdown, which I like, but it was ridiculous not to give us more penalties all the same and some of the calls that went against us were just plain wrong. The game really changed with Earls' tackle but I thought that was really unlucky tbh. We'll miss his aggressive defence next week although we'll need something a bit different against France anyway.

Really impressed with how balanced the back row looked and it really is amazing how so many players have now been able to slot in perfectly to the system under Joe.

I'd usually be disappointed after a draw but really it was mostly an excellent performance against a very good side. My only frustration was Garces. Glad we didn't throw more debutantes in now, that could have been very very ugly for Dillane and McCloskey. Nothing against them but it would have been a huge ask to get up to that intensity straight away.
+1
Viewed game at a distance and agree with this analysis. Garces was key factor and not just in scrum. But the other key factor was our opponents. They have a deep core of confidence in their ability and match winning players to back it up. Teams of that quality are always going to have a purple patch and the key is whether that period provides the points to change the momentum of the game. It did on Sunday and Ireland did very well to get it back to a draw.

However, the intensity of defences throughout the game was extraordinary and belied what came out of RWC15. Plenty of astute, running lines and top quality handling in, apparently, difficult conditions. J10's pass to Trimble was exquisite and he only needed one more stride to get clear.

Scrums were badly refereed and I doubt Evans will get away with that angle in remaining matches when 6N referee panel exchange notes during the week. White wasn't done badly but even milli-seconds at that level can be costly.

Zebo offered a lot going forward but, once again, he didn't work hard enough when he wasn't going to be directly involved. The particular example of covering Trimble following Davies kick, was the most critical. No doubt however that at international level he offers an attacking threat that RK does not have. Given that we have no out and out flyer on either wing, this is the sort of threat we really need.

Overall, very satisfied with team performance and intensity, although disappointed ultimately in result given that we made 5-0 in line breaks. Too late now for this 6N, but feel that pace out wide is a weakness in our armoury.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Ruckedtobits wrote:J10's pass to Trimble was exquisite and he only needed one more stride to get clear.
It's a minor quibble in what was overall an excellent performance from him but I thought that that pass was ill-judged, he should have found Zebo who'd taken a great line on his shoulder.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan