Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Ireland v Wales 6Ns 2016

Post by Oldschool »

First shot.
The conspiracy of misdirection.
Sexton is out but Joe wants Gattie to plan on the basis that Sexton will play.
Personally Gattie won't give two f^cks who plays at OH (Well he might prefer if Sexton did, in fact) because his game plan won't change.
Out muscle us up front, fast up in defense and a very good kick and chase game.
And lest we forget the Welsh backs are not exactly rubbish either.

McGrath
Best
White
Toner
McCarthy
Ruddock
SOB
Heaslip

Murray
Jackson
Fitzgerald
McCloskey
Henshaw
Trimble
Payne

Bench:- Strauss, J. Cronin, Furlong, Ryan, Thinkingaboutit, Marmion, Madigan, D. Kearney
Main concern with that team would be Jackson's place kicking and Murray's inability to stop himself from taking on too much.
Kearney is in such good form, it's hard to leave him out and he can cover FB at a pinch.
Luke McGrath is the form bench option but it's unlikely Joe will bring him in. Marmion gets the nod ahead of Reddan because Joe needs to move on.
The bench BR is a tricky one. Gattie will probably have Tipuric on the bench, Stander is not the answer to that question, so TOD or JVDF (Henry is injured??)
Also Joe needs to think about rewarding some of the Connacht players for their performances. Maybe not this game but there's a prejudice (not necessarily Joe) there that needs to be be broken.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland v Wales 6Ns 2016

Post by simonokeeffe »

I can see Reddan benching, we'll move on in the summer & autumn

by non selection on wing at all for Leinster I think Luke is 23 now
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

13 of the wales team is set in stone

jenkins Baldwin lee

awj charteris

lydiate warburton toby f

g davies biggar

davies Roberts north

the full back will be liam Williams if fit if not anscombe will play, I expect tom james to be the other winger with amos covering the back 3 from the bench.

bench = james owens francis b davies turpic l Williams amos and either anscombe/priestland
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

JB1973 wrote:13 of the wales team is set in stone

jenkins Baldwin lee

awj charteris

lydiate warburton toby f

g davies biggar

davies Roberts north

the full back will be liam Williams if fit if not anscombe will play, I expect tom james to be the other winger with amos covering the back 3 from the bench.

bench = james owens francis b davies turpic l Williams amos and either anscombe/priestland
Hi
Charteris definitely ahead of Davies and is Lydiate over his neck injury?
And did Tipuric avoid citing from the weekend?
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
JB1973 wrote:13 of the wales team is set in stone

jenkins Baldwin lee

awj charteris

lydiate warburton toby f

g davies biggar

davies Roberts north

Hi
Charteris definitely ahead of Davies and is Lydiate over his neck injury?
And did Tipuric avoid citing from the weekend?

charteris defo first choice, especially to counter the way the maul is being used as a weapon these days.

Lydiate only just missed the Exeter game, I'd expect him to play for us this weekend, same with warburton and Williams.

Not heard of Tips being cited if he does, then it'll be king or moriarty on the bench, shame that open side davies from the scarlets is not fit he was on fire earlier in season
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cheers
yeah cubby is somebody theyll need to keep (in Welsh Rugby)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

One thing I came across yesterday which amazed me - no team has ever won three championships outright in a row in the Home, Five or Six Nations. A number of teams have won two and shared a third, but a 'full' three in a row has never been done.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:One thing I came across yesterday which amazed me - no team has ever won three championships outright in a row in the Home, Five or Six Nations. A number of teams have won two and shared a third, but a 'full' three in a row has never been done.
It's only been mentioned a billion times alrigh!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can't see us doing it this year. Think we're too weak in the second row and at tighthead.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:One thing I came across yesterday which amazed me - no team has ever won three championships outright in a row in the Home, Five or Six Nations. A number of teams have won two and shared a third, but a 'full' three in a row has never been done.
It's only been mentioned a billion times alrigh!
Never heard it until yesterday myself, I found it pretty astonishing when you consider how long the tournament has been going on in its various configurations that no one team, even the great teams during their peak, could put it together three years in a row
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That's because of the "Shared" thing. Our last 2 (and the one before them) would have been "Shared" under the old 5N rules. As would the 2 that the French won in 06 and 07 (Which they won on points diff from us)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
That's because of the "Shared" thing. Our last 2 (and the one before them) would have been "Shared" under the old 5N rules. As would the 2 that the French won in 06 and 07 (Which they won on points diff from us)
5 Nations introduced points difference in either the very early 90s or the very late 80s

Edit: 1989 according to the interwebs
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Correct. And everything before that was under the "old 5 nations rules"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:Correct. And everything before that was under the "old 5 nations rules"
True, but you can't really shift tournament environments around though - teams can only be judged under the environment they exist in.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You're welcome Conor.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

to wildly speculate on Ireland team following the Leinster team announcement; Jackson 22 and Cronin 16? the latter the bigger surprise and indeed worry re scrumtime
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

simonokeeffe wrote:to wildly speculate on Ireland team following the Leinster team announcement; Jackson 22 and Cronin 16? the latter the bigger surprise and indeed worry re scrumtime
Why is cronin such a surprise to get the 16 jersey??? He rarely fails to have a huge impact when he comes on...
Strauss doesn't touch him for impact off the bench and again you seem to have a hang up about his scrummaging which looked solid against wasps
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:to wildly speculate on Ireland team following the Leinster team announcement; Jackson 22 and Cronin 16? the latter the bigger surprise and indeed worry re scrumtime
Why is cronin such a surprise to get the 16 jersey??? He rarely fails to have a huge impact when he comes on...
Strauss doesn't touch him for impact off the bench and again you seem to have a hang up about his scrummaging which looked solid against wasps
I just hope we don't end up with him on the pitch at the same time we have an important line-out.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

nc6000 wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:
I just hope we don't end up with him on the pitch at the same time we have an important line-out.
Sure you know better than Joe Schmidt....
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Sure you know better than Joe Schmidt....
Not sure I said that. What I do know however is that I've seen quite a few Leinster lineouts this season which didn't exactly go to plan. Not sure if the jump was mistimed or the calls got mixed up or if the throw was off but most of the ones I remember were when Cronin was throwing in.