Ireland v Italy 6Ns 2016

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: Ireland v Italy 6Ns 2016

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:ah I'd doubt that, he was just the 5th prop so had been training with them

Australia too busy targeting Pacific Islanders to worry about Connacht subs
More about retaining his focus in the short-medium term and keeping him on the island rather than fending of the Aussies I think.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:ah I'd doubt that, he was just the 5th prop so had been training with them

More about retaining his focus in the short-medium term and keeping him on the island rather than fending of the Aussies I think.
good thing we capped Marty Moore so :P
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:

Unfortunately the Dai Young factor is unquantifiable.. his allure is just too powerful!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Raydollard wrote:As usual Madigan made an excellent impact when he came on. He really is a great sub to have and will be an even biger asset when he gets more play at outhalf in France. Bring it on.
So even you admit he's not starting quality? We're all in agreement so.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Unfortunately the Dai Young factor is unquantifiable.. his allure is just too powerful!
:)

he did play on a successful Lions midweek side
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Donny B. wrote:
neilinboston wrote:I thought Cronin got destroyed by Wales.
He never came on against Wales.
Exactly!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

He's a dual-side prop of which there are very few around. A dual-side prop is the ideal to have in training group and he had performed better than expected as LHP in scrum sessions in Carton. Furlong is marginally better at THP but didnt handle the other side at all.

The cover had to be primarily a THP not a LHP because with Ross'earlier injury and Moore out of the picture, THP was the priority. There's also something about numbers in Camp under 6N regulations from Tuesday on. This is to take away excess advantage for home team.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Can someone tell me if im going mad here?

For Heaslip's brilliant first try, when I watched it live I thought McFadden had nearly butchered it by running too slowly and giving a poor pass. However, the people I watched it with praised him for delaying it and drawing in defenders. I've watched it around 10 times now and I just don't see it. It looks worse the more I see it

In the interests of fairness, he created his own try pretty well
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Twist wrote:Can someone tell me if im going mad here?

For Heaslip's brilliant first try, when I watched it live I thought McFadden had nearly butchered it by running too slowly and giving a poor pass. However, the people I watched it with praised him for delaying it and drawing in defenders. I've watched it around 10 times now and I just don't see it. It looks worse the more I see it

In the interests of fairness, he created his own try pretty well
Ultimately I think he did well. The way it was moving that was the natural line to take.. i reckon there were three options;

1) Step back inside and risk getting isolated and swamped by two covering italians but possibly get under the posts himself
c) Straighten and go straight into the two italians - ball slows, italians given chance to recover
$) Play it as he did - acres of space and supporting teammate - keeps himself upright so there's support if Heaslip gets brought down.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

He gave it to Jamie at a time that ensured Jamie would score. If he gave it earlier they could have tackled him earlier, if he held it any later he could have been swallowed up himself.
I wouldn't overly praise him as he did what needed to be done, but I think you'd really be searching to criticise him for that play.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Best sat out training but expected team unchanged

15. Simon Zebo
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Jared Payne
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Keith Earls
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray
1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Mike Ross
4. Donnacha Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. CJ Stander
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Jamie Heaslip

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-scotland-ro ... 5-Mar2016/
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

I'd hope we all know that it is the bench where changes first happen - it is no longer a 15man game either. Easy to name the same team, but it was the bench that caused ructions before the last game. Any journalist prepared to guess numbers 16 onwards?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

ribs wrote:I'd hope we all know that it is the bench where changes first happen - it is no longer a 15man game either. Easy to name the same team, but it was the bench that caused ructions before the last game. Any journalist prepared to guess numbers 16 onwards?
Healy and Reddan in, then as you were would be my guess.

Results aside this has been a missed opportunity in a competition that was piss poor. We've neither won anything nor learned all that much. Style of play hasn't moved on, scrum seems solid enough but lineouts and maul in particular have regressed. We're predictable in attack and defend narrowly.

Can't wait for the SH tests
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Yeah the maul is really limp this season. Obviously an area where the influence of POC and indeed of SOB is sorely missed.

I can wait for the SH tests, which are likely to be the source of much misery unless the SH teams don't take them too seriously