Ireland v Italy 6Ns 2016

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ireland v Italy 6Ns 2016

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:A quick comment on McFadden: I felt that the way the game panned out really justified his selection. Not only did he play pretty well with a smart try scoring pass and an important, smashing tackle, but the versatility argument was backed by the need for blood substitutions. It would have really hurt our momentum if we had to reshuffle the entire backline just to deal with blood injuries. Having someone on the bench that can slot in anywhere is fantastic from a continuity perspective.
Very well said. I agree with you 100% and was going to mention just the same thing in my latest paean to A Ferg Supreme.

HIAs and blood bins are now parts of practically every test game - it's not just a case of a] a player going off injured for the rest of the game or b] making a deliberate tactical substitution. You'll frequently enough have players going off for 6 or 10 minutes [as we had yesterday].

When you've got one player covering four/five positions [your outside back sub] then there is a trade off between having an 'impact' sub on the bench who only plays one position, and leaving yourself a hostage to fortune. McFadden came on for 8 minutes for Trimble [No14], 4 minutes for Henshaw [No12] and 9 minutes for Payne [No13] ... and every time he just slotted in to the position of the injured player, with nobody else being discommoded.

Beyond that, his 10 tries in 31 tests [15 starts] is a very respectable strike rate, and the fact that it's actually 12 in 32 is even better. I've made this point before on the DM blog, but that neither he nor any of the other players who played and/or scored against Fiji in Thomond in November 2012 is credited with their accomplishment [this game: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... s/5303.php ] sticks in my craw when it comes to mind.

The game wasn't a Wolfhounds fixture - Jamie Heaslip captained the side, and he was the national captain that year - and it was played against a national side. That it was played at Thomond was because the IRFU didn't think they could sell out a Lansdowne Road fixture against Fiji on the back of a stodgy 2012 Six Nations, and their deal with Aviva means that they can't play a home test match anywhere but Lansdowne.

The tries scored by Rob Kearney, Shane Horgan, Drico and Keith Earls [2] in the corresponding fixture three years earlier [this game: http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixtures ... s/5254.php ] - played against the same opposition, at the same time point in the season, in a provincial ground [the RDS] - go on their test records, while Craig Gilroy's hat-trick and Fergus McFadden's brace don't go on theirs, solely because of a commercial deal the IRFU did with a sponsor in the interim. It's a bit of an injustice.
Ah here, would you ever learn how to spell Fergus' name.
It's Fergus McStander.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

is McFadden the new John Kelly?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:is McFadden the new John Kelly?
Not hugely far off it. But I would say that Ferg has more raw pace than John Kelly (but like John Kelly, he's not creative at all while being a solid defender). I met Cheika in '09 and he told me (to my surprise) that Ferg was the fastest player in the squad over every sprinting distance they measured from 20 metres to 150. Trevor Hogan was the fastest over 10 metres!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Although with age and injuries he probably isn't as quick as he used to be.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

As usual Madigan made an excellent impact when he came on. He really is a great sub to have and will be an even biger asset when he gets more play at outhalf in France. Bring it on.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Raydollard wrote:As usual Madigan made an excellent impact when he came on. He really is a great sub to have and will be an even biger asset when he gets more play at outhalf in France. Bring it on.
Madigan is the Messiah and Ray is John the Baptist.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Raydollard wrote:As usual Madigan made an excellent impact when he came on. He really is a great sub to have and will be an even biger asset when he gets more play at outhalf in France. Bring it on.
Well- up to a point Lord Copper...

But never mind Ray, we all know this is a laugh now. I assume you're moving to Bordeaux to be close to him in this challenging time?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Well- up to a point Lord Copper...

But never mind Ray, we all know this is a laugh now. I assume you're moving to Bordeaux to be close to him in this challenging time?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

wasn't worth saying once
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Ref seemed to do a good job.

relatively handy game, but he was firmly in control
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I thought Toner had a great game and might have been in for mom had it been a different commentator. Also thought Henshaw looked very sharp, he's growing into international rugby well. Zebo had one of his better games, wasn't challenged defensively but his positional play improved. Was a bit surprised that Earls seemed to lack pace a couple of times but his handling seems to have improved too. Good front row performance and please for Cronin to get such a good showing. I thought it was a bit of a quiet day from Stander and VDF but Heaslip was very good. Overall you would have to be happy with that result/performance.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Raydollard wrote:wasn't worth saying once
:lol:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Why was Bealham brought into the squad ahead of the likes of Kilcoyne and Cronin. Are they injured?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

blockhead wrote:Why was Bealham brought into the squad ahead of the likes of Kilcoyne and Cronin. Are they injured?
I think it's because he was training all week with the squad. I think McGrath and Healy were the only looseheads and Ross, White and Bealham the tightheads.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's a pity Buckley wasn't fit when the original squad was announced, I'd have had him on the bench on Saturday even if Healy was fit.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

jimbobjoe wrote:
blockhead wrote:Why was Bealham brought into the squad ahead of the likes of Kilcoyne and Cronin. Are they injured?
I think it's because he was training all week with the squad. I think McGrath and Healy were the only looseheads and Ross, White and Bealham the tightheads.
I'd say part of it was to tie him down with a cap if I'm honest. He's Australian with an Irish Granny.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

I thought Cronin got destroyed by Wales.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

CiaranIrl wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
I'd say part of it was to tie him down with a cap if I'm honest. He's Australian with an Irish Granny.
Yeah - I'd say that was a factor too
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

neilinboston wrote:I thought Cronin got destroyed by Wales.
He never came on against Wales.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
ah I'd doubt that, he was just the 5th prop so had been training with them

Australia too busy targeting Pacific Islanders to worry about Connacht subs
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon