The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by Dave Cahill »

If it were last November I'd agree entirely, but he hasn't played well in either of those two areas recently
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

British and Irish Lions: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 George North, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Ben Te'o, 11 Liam Williams, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sean O'Brien, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 George Kruis, 4 Alun Wyn Jones (c), 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Dan Cole, 19 Maro Itoje, 20 CJ Stander, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Johnny Sexton, 23 Anthony Watson

Wonder will this be the first Lions tour that a Welsh player selected for a match will automatically be also selected as captain?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

desperado wrote: Quickly me arse; have a look again. Why/or how on earth can you ''catch a team off guard'" who are patently not going to compete in the air; and waiting to defend the expected driving maul. The winning of the game for the Lions was going to be from a driving maul -- so; no ''trying to catch a team off guard'" - take you time; percentage throw to 2, secure posession, and maul like fcuk.
Itoje was out of the line, walked into the line and called the throw as soon as he got there. That's clear as day on the footage. There are multiple examples of teams stealing ball on a throw in similar circumstances including against the Lions in the closing minutes of test matches. 2001 and 2013 both immediately spring to mind. If a team has a good jumper and they've got time to get into the air on a ball they think they can disrupt, they'll do it regardless of where the throw is taking place.

His lifters weren't ready for the call at all. Sinckler hadn't even got a grip by the time the ball was in the air. It was a complete lack of cohesion and possibly down to familiarity with the calls.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Fan with smartphone wrote: I felt pretty sorry for Gatland, because the players were doing some fairly plankish stuff at times. What was it, 2 penalties and a free kick at lineout in the first half alone? That was stupid, then sonny bill made Itoje (who had plenty of good moments too in fairness) look very silly after his celebrating. But Liam Williams rather stole the show. Near everyone would've picked him it seemed, it's not a controversial selection. You are looking to him to make a positive impact off the bench. He comes in and costs them 3 points. It's pretty stupid, but hands up and apologizes - fair enough. Then the same player, commits the same offence, in the same minute. He even has the neck to put a huffy face on him on the way off! It'd be enough to push any coach nuclear.

I feel even more stupider though. I backed the lions minus 6, despite saying for a year they'll do well to beat any of the super rugby teams.
Really?? You felt sorry for Gatland??
(I backed Blues to win :D )
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

I am open to correction but neither Murray, North or O'Brien have had a run out yet so they cannot be judged as fit or not for selection in the first test until after Saturday. Some players have had the chance and if selection is purely on form should have played themselves out of the match day 23 injuries permitting.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:If it were last November I'd agree entirely, but he hasn't played well in either of those two areas recently
Well he was simply outstanding this morning
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Yeah Murray looks a key player on that showing.

A few other guys put their best foot forward.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thought a few of Muray's passes were loose but aside from that he nailed it. Good to see.

Was really impressed with the pack in general. Kruis was a monster, Vunipola was my man of the match and the backrow set a standard that will be really hard to break, especially O'Brien and Falatau.

They should have won by more if you ask me and while i presume the NZ'ers will complain about the ref, all they had to do was scrum straight and stay onside. Something they seemed incapable of doing.

The first real performance of the series from the Lions.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Murray, Sexton, Farrell looked like it could work. Needs a bit more time, but could be back on as a combination.

A few butchered chances aside, that was good. Serious work from the pack.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

CiaranIrl wrote:Murray, Sexton, Farrell looked like it could work. Needs a bit more time, but could be back on as a combination.

Almost gives me a pain in my ar*e to see SOB play at 100% for Lions and JS play for 3rd time in a week considering their availability for Leinster this Season (JS - 5 games in season). Both played well but you'd wonder where that energy was when we needed it in a blue (bright yellow) jersey.

Glad they're going well but keep something for next year in the jersey that made you.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Logorrhea wrote:Thought a few of Muray's passes were loose but aside from that he nailed it. Good to see.

Was really impressed with the pack in general. Kruis was a monster, Vunipola was my man of the match and the backrow set a standard that will be really hard to break, especially O'Brien and Falatau.

They should have won by more if you ask me and while i presume the NZ'ers will complain about the ref, all they had to do was scrum straight and stay onside. Something they seemed incapable of doing.

The first real performance of the series from the Lions.
You are indeed correct. They bitched and moaned and whined about everything, but mainly the ref.
Steady enough improvement over the 3 games but still a lot more needed.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think they looked best with Farrell at 10
They seem keen to keep Teo at 12
Williams staying at 11 was depressing, as I dont like him plus 11 is Norths best position by try scoring alone
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Furlong had a tough time in the scrums today. Crusaders' loose-head was boring in on him all day but Furlong needs to be better at dealing with that when the officials miss/ignore it. Cole was better able to deal with it because he always bores in too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:I think they looked best with Farrell at 10
Williams staying at 11 was depressing, as I dont like him plus 11 is Norths best position by try scoring alone
Agreed. I thought Sexton and Farrell were good together but still thought Farrell at ten and Te'o outside him looked better. Didn't think I'd be saying that about Ben but he's been good in both games now. Some errors but everyone has been making errors. Sexton put in his best performance but I don't think he was particularly impressive really, just better than before.

SOB was brilliant and I'd pencil him in for the test team now given that Warburton's issues and average performance last week, but he wasn't fit. I think he'll need to play in the next two games to get up to speed for the first test otherwise he'll be caught out, looked very sharp though.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Murray, Sexton, Farrell looked like it could work. Needs a bit more time, but could be back on as a combination.

Almost gives me a pain in my ar*e to see SOB play at 100% for Lions and JS play for 3rd time in a week considering their availability for Leinster this Season (JS - 5 games in season). Both played well but you'd wonder where that energy was when we needed it in a blue (bright yellow) jersey.

Glad they're going well but keep something for next year in the jersey that made you.
Just five matches- all starts? Jeez, I knew we hardly saw him all season, but that number is startling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

artaneboy wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Just five matches- all starts? Jeez, I knew we hardly saw him all season, but that number is startling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well we did see a lot of Carbery and Byrne.

Sexton wouldn't have played that many matches anyway.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Almost gives me a pain in my ar*e to see SOB play at 100% for Lions and JS play for 3rd time in a week considering their availability for Leinster this Season (JS - 5 games in season). Both played well but you'd wonder where that energy was when we needed it in a blue (bright yellow) jersey.

I had similar thoughts myself watching the game this morning. It's good to see them playing well but it would have been better to see them playing well for Leinster when we needed them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Agreed. I thought Sexton and Farrell were good together but still thought Farrell at ten and Te'o outside him looked better. Didn't think I'd be saying that about Ben but he's been good in both games now. Some errors but everyone has been making errors. Sexton put in his best performance but I don't think he was particularly impressive really, just better than before.

SOB was brilliant and I'd pencil him in for the test team now given that Warburton's issues and average performance last week, but he wasn't fit. I think he'll need to play in the next two games to get up to speed for the first test otherwise he'll be caught out, looked very sharp though.
We can read a lot into how soon or not likes of Stander and Henshaw get subbed on Tuesday

Bit strange for us but Te'o looks best at 12 now
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

We can read a lot into how soon or not likes of Stander and Henshaw get subbed on Tuesday

Bit strange for us but Te'o looks best at 12 now
If Te'o is the best option at 12 then the Lions are done for.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

well no sign of henshaw losing his lack of composure

12 is kind of a weak position across the Lions countries; England have struggled for a few years and have decided Ford at 10 is better than any guy playing 12 regularly, Wales have moved away from Roberts and his gigantism only to find Williams badly out of form, Ireland are playing a 13 at 12 as weve had no viable 12s since Darcy, Dunbar for Scotland is a good lineout option