The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by ronk »

So Gatland calls up a load of guys just because they're close and refuses to play them unless he had to.

Complete head scratcher for a while but I'm beginning to think it's smart. Playing 80 minutes has worn out and brought together the dirt trackers.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Auckland forecast is rain from now till Saturday about Noon. Clear then for 24 hrs. Pitch is in great condition based on game versus Samoa.

NZ ability throughout their team to attack in broken play and from set-pieces through mid-field and half-back handling is what sets them apart. Lions limitations in capitalising on line breaks is their biggest weakness to date. NZ will score 28-38 points. Can Lions score 20+ ?. No evidence to suggest it with Peyper as referee.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Auckland forecast is rain from now till Saturday about Noon. Clear then for 24 hrs. Pitch is in great condition based on game versus Samoa.

NZ ability throughout their team to attack in broken play and from set-pieces through mid-field and half-back handling is what sets them apart. Lions limitations in capitalising on line breaks is their biggest weakness to date. NZ will score 28-38 points. Can Lions score 20+ ?. No evidence to suggest it with Peyper as referee.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Peyper helps the Lions quite a lot. He allows plenty of 'physicality' (i.e questionable hits) which is how the Lions need to play the game to win. He also favours the physically dominant team, especially in the scrum.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd agree with the above, the only way I could remotely see Lions winning this is through sheer brutal physicality and Murray/Farrell/Sexton creating a few holes outside them. I don't think the Lions will have the subtlety in attack or set piece ability to do what we did in Chicago.

The likes of Itoje, Furlong, Vunipola, SOB, POM will need to really pump themselves up. Can't see that being enough over the course of three tests though.

I am however really looking forward to seeing how Te'o goes. Has had a great tour so far and if he's at 12 whoever is at 10 will create space for him. Plus he's used to these big occasions and seems to revel in them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Problem is Peyper lets players tackle/block/hold down off the ball and will let them infringe like crazy (on their line) which NZ will do and Lions have and will struggle to unlock defences in play
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Traditionally, the Lions best chance in NZ was the First Test because the opposition had not had the preparation. However, having watched a decent Samoa team cause considerable problems for 30 minutes last Friday, I was quite literally shocked by the attacking pace and handling of the NZ team from the 31st to the 75th minute.

Compared to the Lions, this was Llannelli v Munster all over again.

Now, hearing the Crotty and Reid are added in and Savea is not selected on the wing and finally, that it's very unlikely to be raining during the game, I am convinced that NZ will beat the Lions by 17+ points.

The NZ front five is big and very experienced and, other than hooker, have a more experienced and skillful bench. Their back-row is a settled unit, experts in their roles and have played about 15 tests together. They have the best half-back combination in world rugby at present. They have a physically big centre combination with Williams having a point to prove against T'eo. Finally, at full-back they have the best counter-attacking, broken-field runner in world rugby side by side with two very competent defensive wingers.

The Lions may have the edge at second-row, but nowhere else. That is not enough. NZ will score 28-38 points. Lions may get 12-18.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cork's Peter O'Mahony captains the side
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:Cork's Peter O'Mahony captains the side
Still wouldn't get into the Leinster back-row :wink:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Delighted for POM and the other Irish lads in the squad.

Think Sexton is a bit unlucky to miss out on the starting spot. His game management could have been key. If the pack don't get well on top I'm not sure Farrell's style will be very effective. He's used to playing behind a pretty dominant eight.

I may be biased but personally would have had CJ on the bench for impact ahead of Warburton, who's lucky to be ahead of any of the alternatives really. Tipuric can also feel a little hard done by if they were looking for cover at 7.

Happy enough with the rest of the squad. AWJ over Itoje is questionable but I've always liked Alun and at least that gives us more impact on the bench.
We're all red on the inside.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

We'll never hear the end of it if they win.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

POM :happy clapper:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Cork's Peter O'Mahony captains the side
Still wouldn't get into the Leinster back-row :wink:
An interesting point a few (Munster) journos have made is it took injuries to get him back into the Ireland side in 6n, so arguably you have 3 starting players in the test side (George and Teo as well) that dont start for their respective countries and in the English cases those players ahead of them werent even selected for the tour. Stander is left out

It does make for a balanced backrow, Stander probably loses out to warburton on those grounds plus tour leadership
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Stander Loses out because his form has gone off a cliff in the last 4 weeks...
POM owes his place ( and subsequent Captaincy) to SO'Bs brilliant form ( Pity we dont see for Leinster :( ) .. keeping Warburton out
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Feel very sorry for Itoje. When you watch his performances for Lions (Eng & Sarries) it's very difficult to see how Jones displaces him. However, there are a number of conundrums that remain unexplained in selection and that is Coach's perogative.
Still can't see any reasons for Lion's win. But Sat will tell.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Itoje isn't finished, he'll be an impact sub and probably start one of the other tests. He's been outstanding and would have been one of my first names on the team sheet.

POM had a bad run of injuries and he was really only working his way back during the 6N. He's hit form at the right time and none of the other rivals in his position have set the world alight. I'm happy for him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The problem with Itoje is the same as the problem with Henderson. They're great rugby players from the neck down.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:The problem with Itoje is the same as the problem with Henderson. They're great rugby players from the neck down.
Harsh comment @DaveCahill. Understand the sentiment but Itoje was an excellent England U.20 captain and although he mouths a bit on the park, he seems to be a smart footballer. Might however add that POM is a suitable Lions captain, from the neck up!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The problem with Itoje is the same as the problem with Henderson. They're great rugby players from the neck down.
Harsh comment @DaveCahill. Understand the sentiment but Itoje was an excellent England U.20 captain and although he mouths a bit on the park, he seems to be a smart footballer. Might however add that POM is a suitable Lions captain, from the neck up!
O'Mahoney is certainly an intelligent player, no question there - though he does have a tendency to get flustered once the tide has turned against his team and can lose discipline in those circumstances.

Itoje and Henderson have a tendency to concede stupid penalties - and not just stupid penalties, but stupid penalties that they actually have to go out of their way to concede. Itoje gets away with it more than Henderson because Sarries are a better side than Ulster and are set up to accept that from his game in return for the positives he brings - but there is no room for that against the All Blacks.
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

It is a peculiar team imo, I quite like it on paper but having watched the first 6 matches not sure how it has come to pass.

Everybody seems delighted that Gatland is picking on form. Itoje, Lawes, Stander and Halfpenny might disagree with that. Huge fan of AWJ and I would pick him but no way he is in ahead of the two English guys on form. Congratulations to POM a massive achievement to be named Captain. I was listening to Furlong this morning and he was talking up the qualities of POM - dog and trenches were the go to words (things we can't quantify). Stander on paper makes double figure tackles and at least 15-20 carries a match. It is hard on a guy like that to get left out when it is clearly evident the work he is putting in. I do think POM's status has been exaggerated to the extreme yes he excels in the defensive line out no doubt I just think a nuts and bolt player will be severely needed on Saturday but hope the jersey grabbing and squaring up will see the Lions over the line. Halfpenny who arguably should not have been on the tour has actually been pretty decent and improved from game to game and his goal kicking has been immaculate. He has lost out to a player who played well for 40mins against the Chiefs on Tuesday with mostly negatives to his name going into that game (again I prefer Williams to Halfpenny personally but hardly a form selection).

I was sure Warburton was going to be picked right up till the announcement even with all the hacks having POM as starting and captain. So at least that didn't come to pass.

Good luck to the Lions on Saturday I hope POM can lead them to victory or at the very least they can be competitive the task they face is massive.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English