The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby CiaranIrl » April 19th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Munsterboy wrote:
Firstly, he's picking based on current form,


No, he's not at all picking on current form.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2652
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby Golf Man » April 19th, 2017, 11:19 pm

The questionable Welsh decisions are moriarty, Biggar, Davies and halfpenny - Biggar got in ahead of ford or Russell- not much in it there and he has gone for the safe option. Moriarty is a biased selection. The other two are there on experience and reputation - lot to be said for that. 10 Welsh would probably be fair.

Fagerson simply isn't good enough atm. Sinkler has a better upside

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Golf Man
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2033
Joined: November 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby Logorrhea » April 19th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Golf Man wrote:The questionable Welsh decisions are moriarty, Biggar, Davies and halfpenny

Falateau? Hasnt had a decent game for Wales or Bath in quite a while.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » April 20th, 2017, 2:34 am

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Haven't been overly impressed with Liam Williams this season. Thought he was outstanding last season but I think there's a big question mark over Wales/the Welsh players now. Thought they were terrible in the last month and I wouldn't be confident of them having a good 6N, which will obviously have a knock on effect for the Lions. I do still think Gatland will have a Welsh bias, but they looked disorganised without him and can see some players Lions' prospects suffering as a result.


Flicked through my posts on this thread and had forgotten quite how bad Wales were in November until I read this.

I also suggested, as a joke, that Ross Moriarty would be the token Englishman picked in an all welsh team. Doesn't seem funny anymore.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9815
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby blockhead » April 20th, 2017, 8:27 am

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Haven't been overly impressed with Liam Williams this season. Thought he was outstanding last season but I think there's a big question mark over Wales/the Welsh players now. Thought they were terrible in the last month and I wouldn't be confident of them having a good 6N, which will obviously have a knock on effect for the Lions. I do still think Gatland will have a Welsh bias, but they looked disorganised without him and can see some players Lions' prospects suffering as a result.


Flicked through my posts on this thread and had forgotten quite how bad Wales were in November until I read this.

I also suggested, as a joke, that Ross Moriarty would be the token Englishman picked in an all welsh team. Doesn't seem funny anymore.


Gatland will be going back to manage Wales after the Lions. It would not look good in their eyes if he only selected a few of that team for the Lions. He would be showing a lack of faith in the Welsh players.
Personally, the fewer Irish the better. I have little interest in this Lions chyte, apart from crossing my fingers and toes hoping that none of ours come back crocked.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby Laighin Break » April 20th, 2017, 9:52 am

blockhead wrote:Gatland will be going back to manage Wales after the Lions. It would not look good in their eyes if he only selected a few of that team for the Lions. He would be showing a lack of faith in the Welsh players.
Personally, the fewer Irish the better. I have little interest in this Lions chyte, apart from crossing my fingers and toes hoping that none of ours come back crocked.


This is very true. People went on about how brave a call it was for him to drop BOD last time for Davies, and to stick with so many Welsh. But sure he was going back to coach them afterwards
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 365
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby ChrisUppy » April 20th, 2017, 10:10 am

Congrats to St Marys College who have produced the same number of players for this tour as Scotland
ChrisUppy
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 413
Joined: May 7th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby brenno » April 20th, 2017, 10:15 am

blockhead wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Haven't been overly impressed with Liam Williams this season. Thought he was outstanding last season but I think there's a big question mark over Wales/the Welsh players now. Thought they were terrible in the last month and I wouldn't be confident of them having a good 6N, which will obviously have a knock on effect for the Lions. I do still think Gatland will have a Welsh bias, but they looked disorganised without him and can see some players Lions' prospects suffering as a result.


Flicked through my posts on this thread and had forgotten quite how bad Wales were in November until I read this.

I also suggested, as a joke, that Ross Moriarty would be the token Englishman picked in an all welsh team. Doesn't seem funny anymore.


Gatland will be going back to manage Wales after the Lions. It would not look good in their eyes if he only selected a few of that team for the Lions. He would be showing a lack of faith in the Welsh players.
Personally, the fewer Irish the better. I have little interest in this Lions chyte, apart from crossing my fingers and toes hoping that none of ours come back crocked.


+1

Well despite 11 Irish and 5 of our boys, I still really don't give a toss about this tour, and I have to say I cringed when I saw that pic yesterday of our five boys holding a Lions shirt. Yeah I'll get up for the test matches but with without any enthusiasm and sense of excitement. All I'll be hoping for is that JS doesn't get the treatment from NZ that we all expect him to get, NZ don't get one of their provincial teams to do a job of Jack Mc and Tadhg ahead of the tests as they did to Ray McLoughlin back in 1971 (sorry youngsters for going back into ancient history), SOB, POM and any others with injury records come back in one piece. And I'm delighted that some of those so-called "bolters" like Ringrose and Carbery, as well as some of those who missed out like Earls and Zebo will be in Japan and the US, developing their game within the Irish system rather than getting splinters in their arse over in NZ as Gatland packs his team with over-the-hill Welsh.

Whether or not our guys get crocked, they are going to come back shagged and in need of a long rest which is going to interfere with the provinces' (and by extension the Irish team's) pre-season. The 6N and the next world cup are the most important things that should be in any Irish player's mind right now - we probably have the best squad we've had in years with young talent coming through in all the provinces to put pressure on the established players, we've outstanding coaching talent in all the provinces - Erasmus, Lancaster, Keane, Gibbes (and ok Leo) and we should be aspiring for a couple of outstanding seasons leading up to the RWC.

And then I see the bilge that Luke Fitz spouts on Twitter and in his Indo podcasts about the Lions as the "ultimate accolade", same sort of sh1te I've been listening to from Donal Lenihan, Wardy, Wally on the radio this morning. Give me strength.
brenno
Learner
 
Posts: 99
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 2:34 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby Logorrhea » April 20th, 2017, 11:16 am

brenno wrote:And then I see the bilge that Luke Fitz spouts on Twitter and in his Indo podcasts about the Lions as the "ultimate accolade"


Exactly. What would Luke know anyway. its not as if he actually played the game professionally or anything.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby fourthirtythree » April 20th, 2017, 11:29 am

He's never refereed but he has words of wisdom for refs in his media work.

Which is pretty uniformly shite.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8425
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby simonokeeffe » April 20th, 2017, 11:48 am

I reckon Moriarty might be eyed as 4-8 cover potentially for a midweek game

only 5 locks should see at least 1 called up, Lawes had a very good 6n IMO but J Gray still shouldve gone, Watson too ahead of SOB

Faletau improved as 6n went but still dining on past glory

That said the Welsh players I want near the test side are Warburton, 1/2p as he'll be picked anyway, North on LEFT wing (Watson on right)
Could live with Webb at 9 or 21, Owens 16, have doubts over L Williams big game temperament

Personally I dont want AWJ or JD2 near it for their track record of butchering chances. Plus Kruis is better than AWJ
Moriarty and Biggar wont be near it, dont see Faletau there either because of lack of versatility as a bench option
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15256
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » April 20th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Just thinking that there are a few of our players who are unlucky not to ever be Lions. Dev has been brilliant for most of Joe's reign, unfortunate that he had his worst season this time around and was up against some serious competition. Trimble has had some great seasons but none fell in a Lions year.

Healy was obviously picked last time but didnt get a proper shot because of injury and to my mind he was comfortably the best LH in the world at that time.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9815
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby Logorrhea » April 20th, 2017, 12:57 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:He's never refereed but he has words of wisdom for refs in his media work.


Good point. Imagine any ex-player having the nerve to suggest that the ref "shouldn't be commentating on the game" and that he "referees the game correctly." Outrageous nonsense.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby brenno » April 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Logorrhea wrote:
brenno wrote:And then I see the bilge that Luke Fitz spouts on Twitter and in his Indo podcasts about the Lions as the "ultimate accolade"


Exactly. What would Luke know anyway. its not as if he actually played the game professionally or anything.


Oh dear, of course silly me, only people who have played the game professionally are allowed to have an opinion on the Lions, us mere fans must keep quiet and confine the debate to the professionals
brenno
Learner
 
Posts: 99
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 2:34 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby erskinechilders » April 20th, 2017, 3:16 pm

brenno wrote:And then I see the bilge that Luke Fitz spouts on Twitter and in his Indo podcasts about the Lions as the "ultimate accolade", same sort of sh1te I've been listening to from Donal Lenihan, Wardy, Wally on the radio this morning. Give me strength.


Surely going on the excitement of the various club in the videos doing the rounds of social media and other places t shows that the Lions is a huge achievement for all players? ROG has said that its the greatest honour a northern hemisphere player can get. I think it's a brilliant thing. Shows rugby is still at its' heart a very amateur game with good values. To bring together 4 massive rivals is brilliant.

Same shite from Lenihan, Wardy etc.. Surely the fact that we're talking about the most respected players in Irish rugby history you've got to pay some attention to what they are saying. You won't find any player that criticises that Lions, except for the 2005 tour!

Look at the advancement of the skills of some the Irish players that went in 2013. Conor Murray since coming back from that tour has been in the top 3 scrum-halves in the world... I think it will be of huge benefit to players like McGrath, Furlong, Stander, Henshaw, Henderson.. all who still have a bit to go before the reach their peak!
erskinechilders
Bookworm
 
Posts: 231
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby Oldschoolsocks » April 20th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Don't know how you rate Wardy as one of "the most respected players in Irish rugby history", maybe highly rated as a player, but that's about it it
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1652
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby dropkick » April 20th, 2017, 8:19 pm

While I don't care too much for it and think its a very overrated series, I am happy for the players who are going. Its a great experience and will help them grow as players. Its a pity that players have to miss out because Gatland is being political with his selections. Half of those Welsh players are very lucky to be there.


Also, I wouldn't let Warburton captain a rubber dinghy. This is a player who hides for most of the season especially when playing for Cardiff and that wouldn't be what I would expect of a captain. I'd prefer AW Jones or someone like that.


I hope the players don't come back crocked and it doesn't effect them too much next season.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby kermischocolate » April 20th, 2017, 10:20 pm

For all those that go and grow as players I give you Stuart Hogg. Went in 2013 as one of the youngest, most exciting players in the NH. Came back an absolute arse with an ego the size of a medium size planet which took an entire season and dropping him from Glasgow's then biggest ever game (Pro12 final in The RDS) to get him anywhere near back on planet earth.

I'm with Blockhead on his views of The Lions.
User avatar
kermischocolate
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: May 17th, 2009, 2:56 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby cormac » April 21st, 2017, 8:30 am

kermischocolate wrote:For all those that go and grow as players I give you Stuart Hogg. Went in 2013 as one of the youngest, most exciting players in the NH. Came back an absolute arse with an ego the size of a medium size planet which took an entire season and dropping him from Glasgow's then biggest ever game (Pro12 final in The RDS) to get him anywhere near back on planet earth.

I'm with Blockhead on his views of The Lions.


I don't think the blame lies with the Lions for Stuart Hogg being a bellend. I rather suspect that's all on himself
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Postby domhnallj » April 21st, 2017, 9:33 am

kermischocolate wrote:For all those that go and grow as players I give you Stuart Hogg. Went in 2013 as one of the youngest, most exciting players in the NH. Came back an absolute arse with an ego the size of a medium size planet which took an entire season and dropping him from Glasgow's then biggest ever game (Pro12 final in The RDS) to get him anywhere near back on planet earth.

I'm with Blockhead on his views of The Lions.



Hopefully he is older and wiser now.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests