The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:He is not a strong scrumager and his throwing lacks consistently. He is superb in broken play possession and a very good tackler on right shoulder and competent on left side.

I'm delighted he's ours and always love seeing him come into a game and anticipate his injection of pace and excitement, but find it difficult to conceive how he would make a Lions Squad.
Whatever about the throwing I can see your point but I don't agree with your point on his scrummaging
For close to 2 seasons now his scrimmaging has been excellent and a real force in recent games so can you explain to me why you've come to this conclusion
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:He is not a strong scrumager and his throwing lacks consistently. He is superb in broken play possession and a very good tackler on right shoulder and competent on left side.

I'm delighted he's ours and always love seeing him come into a game and anticipate his injection of pace and excitement, but find it difficult to conceive how he would make a Lions Squad.
Ford loses his Scotland place to Mcnally, Hartley suspended/not taken, Gatty realises Baldwin is Baldwin
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Gearzbox2 wrote:

Whatever about the throwing I can see your point but I don't agree with your point on his scrummaging
For close to 2 seasons now his scrimmaging has been excellent and a real force in recent games so can you explain to me why you've come to this conclusion
Would have to agree there, I may have fabricated this in my minds eye, but was there not an instance of Porter being done with Tracey at 2, filled by a complete reverse in fortunes with Cronin? He has massive shoulder neck strength too.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I saw an article over the weekend where Gatland suggested he had 10-11 Irish players in mind for the tour. Doesn't take too long to get to that number based on current form.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Well I make squad of 37 looking like:
1. McGrath, Vunipola, Healy/Marler.
2. Best, George, Owens/Cronin/McNally. 1 from 3.
3. Furlong, Cole, Nel.
4/5. Jones, Gray/Launchbury/Kruis/Toner/Charteris. 2 from 5. Don't know why, but I have this feeling Gatland not a toner fan.
5/6. Henderson, Itoje.
6. Robshaw, O'Brien.
7. Tipuric, Warburton.
8. Heaslip/Falateau/ Vunipola. 2 from 3.
Stander and VDF have to be in the considered category, but may just miss out at the moment. Same with O'Mahony. 6s are losing out because of Henderson and Itoje. 8 a tough position to get into.

9. Murray, Youngs, one of the welsh (I like Davies myself).
10. Sexton, Farrell, Biggar/Ford.
11. North, Zebo.
12. Henshaw, Roberts.
13. Davies, Joseph.
14. Watson, a.n other/may/cuthbert/Maitland/Seymour/Bowe/Trimble/Bennett/Ringrose/p O'Mahony/r O'Mahony/Marmion
15. Brown, Hogg.
They'll take halfpenny too.

That'd be 9 in and 6 or 7 more in consideration. Maybe I'm being terribly biased but I don't think that's too unreasonable? I'm not big on the lions, but Joe has said he wants as many as possible to go and the players want to go, so whaddya do? Half of that likely be injured by the time of the summer.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I think it would make more sense to take a squad of 39 or 40.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Well I make squad of 37 looking like:
1. McGrath, Vunipola, Healy/Marler.
2. Best, George, Owens/Cronin/McNally. 1 from 3.
3. Furlong, Cole, Nel.
4/5. Jones, Gray/Launchbury/Kruis/Toner/Charteris. 2 from 5. Don't know why, but I have this feeling Gatland not a toner fan.
5/6. Henderson, Itoje.
6. Robshaw, O'Brien.
7. Tipuric, Warburton.
8. Heaslip/Falateau/ Vunipola. 2 from 3.
Stander and VDF have to be in the considered category, but may just miss out at the moment. Same with O'Mahony. 6s are losing out because of Henderson and Itoje. 8 a tough position to get into.

9. Murray, Youngs, one of the welsh (I like Davies myself).
10. Sexton, Farrell, Biggar/Ford.
11. North, Zebo.
12. Henshaw, Roberts.
13. Davies, Joseph.
14. Watson, a.n other/may/cuthbert/Maitland/Seymour/Bowe/Trimble/Bennett/Ringrose/p O'Mahony/r O'Mahony/Marmion
15. Brown, Hogg.
They'll take halfpenny too.

That'd be 9 in and 6 or 7 more in consideration. Maybe I'm being terribly biased but I don't think that's too unreasonable? I'm not big on the lions, but Joe has said he wants as many as possible to go and the players want to go, so whaddya do? Half of that likely be injured by the time of the summer.
FR - I think Hartley will still go - but not as captain
SR/BR - You have probably one too few here - he took 12 in 2013 - and none of eth second rows covered lock (Croft has I think covered lock very occassionally) - I would guess that Toner probably is down the list - he isn't exactly an impact sub and he is unliklley to start atm - kind f guy that could start or not tour though - AWJ has to be favourite at the moment though.
Backs - wouldn't discount Scottish centres, Scott Williams. You're missing Liam Willams who will almost certainly go
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

leinsterforever wrote:I think it would make more sense to take a squad of 39 or 40.
They've taken 37 the last two tours - Woodward had 44 in 2005 - I would imagine that they will keep it at 37 - they were realtiev;ly successful tours (2013 obv being actually successful, but 2009 was a big sucess compared to 2005)

In 2009 and 2013 hey both had the same kind of make up as well 3 Hookers, Only 5 Props, 5 Locks, 7 Backrow with two No.8s, 2 Out Halves with the 3rd a utility option (Hogg in 2013 and Hook eventually in 2009) - I think he'll go with something the same - really seems to me that he should have 6 props - there were 8 injury cover call ups in 2013 - 3 props, 7 in 2009 with 2 props

I think there will be a pretty even split between England/Scotland and Wales with a couple of Scots thrown in
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd say Toner might miss out due to his lack of versatility/impact.

I'd have L Williams ahead of Brown by a good bit at the moment too. Would love to see Seymour tour also.
Huw Jones (the South Africa born, Welsh sounding Scottish international) might be in with a decent shout too.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Golf Man wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:I think it would make more sense to take a squad of 39 or 40.
They've taken 37 the last two tours - Woodward had 44 in 2005 - I would imagine that they will keep it at 37 - they were realtiev;ly successful tours (2013 obv being actually successful, but 2009 was a big sucess compared to 2005)

In 2009 and 2013 hey both had the same kind of make up as well 3 Hookers, Only 5 Props, 5 Locks, 7 Backrow with two No.8s, 2 Out Halves with the 3rd a utility option (Hogg in 2013 and Hook eventually in 2009) - I think he'll go with something the same - really seems to me that he should have 6 props - there were 8 injury cover call ups in 2013 - 3 props, 7 in 2009 with 2 props

I think there will be a pretty even split between England/Scotland and Wales with a couple of Scots thrown in
Gatland said (I think) he has 15-16 English players in mind, 10-11 Irish players, 6-7 Welsh players and 4-5 Scots so 35-39 in total. But definitely not an even spread.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Think he said too a while ago theyd bring closer to 40 this time as theyll need them/get through them so may as well have them in from the start then be reacting to inevitable injuries
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:Think he said too a while ago theyd bring closer to 40 this time as theyll need them/get through them so may as well have them in from the start then be reacting to inevitable injuries
Is he suggesting that he's expecting a higher injury rate on this tour compared to his two previous tours.
You'd wonder why he'd be thinking that way.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Think he said too a while ago theyd bring closer to 40 this time as theyll need them/get through them so may as well have them in from the start then be reacting to inevitable injuries
Is he suggesting that he's expecting a higher injury rate on this tour compared to his two previous tours.
More matches on this tour
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
You're letting the facts get in the way.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Nah he was saying every tour they call up a few bodies so makes sense to be prepared so taking a few extra (versatile) players
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Nah he was saying every tour they call up a few bodies so makes sense to be prepared so taking a few extra (versatile) players
The first game is less than a week after the Pro 12 & Aviva finals. It's possible that the bulk of the test team won't be in that 23 - could be a load of Irish players rested (Leinster + Munster or Ulster) and English (Saracens + Wasps). To even scrape a 23 together without that lot will need a bigger squad.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Planet Rugby's piece on Lions selection is interesting I think. Worth a read anyway.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah the big, big point to come out of the last tour with all the injuries was that they needed to take more players from the start. They won't go into overkill like Woodward in 2005, so I'd say somewhere around the 39-41 mark.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

offshorerules wrote:Planet Rugby's piece on Lions selection is interesting I think. Worth a read anyway.
Nothing to do with Lions selection is interesting until at least April. Tedious is more like it. (Not having read it of course)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Meanwhile in the INDO, Mule has 9 Irish in the Lions starting team, based on current form. That includes 6 ladyboys!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!