Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by simonokeeffe »

That moved pleasantly quickly
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm glad he was cleared but it was hardly a ridiculous citing. SOB flew in and knocked Naholo unconscious, if that happened to an Irish player I'd want a citing.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm glad he was cleared but it was hardly a ridiculous citing. SOB flew in and knocked Naholo unconscious, if that happened to an Irish player I'd want a citing.
Pretty much how I saw it. I dont think he should be cited but I thought he would be. Glad hes not as it was clearly not intentional. However those were the kind of hits that we were complaining about when when New zealand knocked half the Irish team out last November.

Anyway, common sense prevails.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

There will be A LOT of big and dubious hits flying around Saturday; Peyper's not TJ again is he?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:That moved pleasantly quickly
But it took a 3-hour Hearing. Clearly, some contenious issue.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Logorrhea wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm glad he was cleared but it was hardly a ridiculous citing. SOB flew in and knocked Naholo unconscious, if that happened to an Irish player I'd want a citing.
Pretty much how I saw it. I dont think he should be cited but I thought he would be. Glad hes not as it was clearly not intentional. However those were the kind of hits that we were complaining about when when New zealand knocked half the Irish team out last November.

Have to disagree. Nowhere near the sort of hit that was prevalent in Aviva in November. No swinging arm; no closed fist; no body contact on NZ player. Totally accidental contact having latched onto his own team-mate.

Either way, delighted Citing was dismissed.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No body contact...because he hit him in the head and knocked him out. My question would be, where do you think he was trying to bind on to given that the only part of Naholo that was visible was his head really. Like I said, I'm glad he was cleared because I don't think it was intentional, but it was certainly reckless. Can't see how a citing is seen as ridiculous.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:That moved pleasantly quickly
But it took a 3-hour Hearing. Clearly, some contenious issue.
Meant hearing convened very quickly
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:

No they weren't.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

simonokeeffe wrote:There will be A LOT of big and dubious hits flying around Saturday; Peyper's not TJ again is he?
Peyper should be in front of the reffing adjudicators after his input on the red card, telling Garces there was no force and urging him to look at the incident again. If that had happened in 1st test Peyper would have given yellow at most. I'm glad we've another french ref this weekend.
I read that the ball in play for this test was 26 minutes, 34 mins for first test. This really worked against the lions as they couldn't get any momentum going to suck the life out of their 7 man pack.

Mako V - should be dropped, weak scrum and shocking discipline.
Really surprised as failure to use full bench, game was calling out for CJ's power in last 20.
Last quarter McGrath, Lawes and Sinker made a serious of big tackles driving players back. McGrath, apart from the crossing penalty, had a huge impact. Absolute no brainer to start him next weekend, he's often double figures for tackles made and good for a poach or 2 each game, given the juggernaut we're facing him starting makes so much sense. Challenge is the fear of Sinkler and Mako holding up a scrum in the last 20.
10-12 worked really well, Murray I though poor until the last 20 with a lot of sloppiness.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bamboozle wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:There will be A LOT of big and dubious hits flying around Saturday; Peyper's not TJ again is he?
Peyper should be in front of the reffing adjudicators after his input on the red card, telling Garces there was no force and urging him to look at the incident again. If that had happened in 1st test Peyper would have given yellow at most. I'm glad we've another french ref this weekend.
I read that the ball in play for this test was 26 minutes, 34 mins for first test. This really worked against the lions as they couldn't get any momentum going to suck the life out of their 7 man pack.

Mako V - should be dropped, weak scrum and shocking discipline.
Really surprised as failure to use full bench, game was calling out for CJ's power in last 20.
Last quarter McGrath, Lawes and Sinker made a serious of big tackles driving players back. McGrath, apart from the crossing penalty, had a huge impact. Absolute no brainer to start him next weekend, he's often double figures for tackles made and good for a poach or 2 each game, given the juggernaut we're facing him starting makes so much sense. Challenge is the fear of Sinkler and Mako holding up a scrum in the last 20.
10-12 worked really well, Murray I though poor until the last 20 with a lot of sloppiness.
Poite abd the TMO were also hinting at YC rather RC.
The RC undoubtedly ensured that the rest of the game was relatively seemly.
NZ will have picked up on that for next week.
It could get very ugly next Saturday as a result.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

to be shrill NZ would rather they need to send a mini bus to a citing hearing than lose this game so one would expect a big schimozzle if they get any traction in an early scrum and relentlessly (illegitmate) targeting of the halfbacks
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

simonokeeffe wrote:and relentlessly (illegitmate) targeting of the halfbacks
Like what Vunipola was doing to Barrett?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

OTT wrote:
Exactly. The problem is that like most facets of the game NZ are just more effective at it.

His first one - the late hit - was not a million miles away from the NZ late hit a few minutes before hand. Giving up 2 penalties and a yellow card is usually the losing the game against BNZ.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I expect the All Blacks to exhibit the same outright, focused, targeted and premeditated thuggery that they did in the Aviva.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

OTT wrote:
Yes but but more widespread than one player having cerebral diarhhea. Plus Lions halfbacks are Irish :mrgreen:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:I expect the All Blacks to exhibit the same outright, focused, targeted and premeditated thuggery that they did in the Aviva.
Ha! In a bravura display of not giving a f%~k? the All Blacks have called up the Ser Ilyn Payne of rugby, Makakai Fekitoa, to their squad
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Remind us again...
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

simonokeeffe wrote:Remind us again...
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/too-litt ... kle-103856
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Who was the ref that day? Who was the TJ who tried to play down Sonny Bill's assault and convince Garces to give a yellow instead of a red?

I was going to be diplomatic and just say that I don't get how he's still given these games, but lets be honest, Peyper's integrity has to be in question. These aren't technical issues we're talking about, they should be very obvious to him.