The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by CiaranIrl »

erskinechilders wrote:I think last weekend changes a few things with the Lions, most of all Haskell is not good enough to be anywhere near the squad. Basing off a 37 man squad I would go with : Forwards(20) and Back(17)

Props ( 6 )
Jack McGrath
Mako Vunipola
Marler/ Healy - undecided as of yet, both could potentially get it.
Tadhg Furlong
Dan Cole
John Ryan - I think he has a real opportunity, dealt with a massive Toulouse pack and has been consistently excellent this year. V Solid Scrummager

Hookers ( 3 )
Rory Best
Jamie George
Ken Owens

Second Row ( 5 )
Maro Itoje
Joe Launchbury
George Kruis
Alun Wyn Jones
J Gray/ Donncha Ryan - toss up here, I would probably go for Ryan because of his experience, leadership and aggression. Brilliant for midweek

Back Rows ( 6 )
CJ Stander
Peter O'Mahony
Sean O'Brien
Sam Warburton
Taulupe Faletau
Billy Vunipola
- Tough on Tipuric I know but I feel the others have the edge physically on him

Scrumhalf ( 3 )
Conor Murray
Rhys Webb
Ben Youngs

Outhalf ( 3 )
Johnny Sexton
Owen Farrell
Ford/ Russell... Can't make my mind up here, Carbery could be a bolter for 10/15!

Centres ( 5 )
Robbie Henshaw
Garry Ringrose
Jonathon Davies ( covers 12 )
Jonathon Joseph
Jared Payne/ Alex Dunbar

Back Three ( 6 )
Elliot Daly ( covers 11-15 )
Anthony Watson
George North
Liam Williams
Stuart Hogg
Simon Zebo
Great squad, but a couple off I'd say. I'd say you're a center over (Payne) given that Farrell will play there. An extra loose forward, probably? Tipuric maybe. John Ryan seems unlikely to me. No idea who's more likely at this stage though!

Not all of the borderline Irish lads will make it either.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Probably a couple too many Irish in there. We all overestimate the number of our own players probably because we see much more of them. Samson Lee probably ahead of Ryan. When is Nel fit again?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

How does Toner keep being omitted from these lists, he's guaranteed line out ball, huge weight in the tight, devastating on opposition line out and maul and improved hugely in the loose. Regularly outplays rivals.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Apparently be gives sh1t "angry face" and "looks too awkward"

He relies on stupid stuff like "being good at rugby" rather than "looking like he'd kill you"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:Apparently be gives sh1t "angry face" and "looks too awkward"

He relies on stupid stuff like "being good at rugby" rather than "looking like he'd kill you"
You left out pointing and shouting
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

And plays both sides.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TerenureJim wrote:How does Toner keep being omitted from these lists, he's guaranteed line out ball, huge weight in the tight, devastating on opposition line out and maul and improved hugely in the loose. Regularly outplays rivals.
Ah he's not 'devastating on opposition lineout' in the same way POM or Itoje is. Effective when lifted at 2, but doesn't have the same spring as others.

I think if there were less second row class around Dev would be in the conversation, but with the likes of Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Launch, Gray, AWJ, Hendo, Ryan etc all around there's a lot of competition for a few spots.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lawes is a level below others on that list. Kruis & Launchbury are front runners for front jumper role and Gray, AWJ and Itoje ahead of the posse for the other one. Ryan and Dev are behind these guys, IMO, but theres no doubt either or both could do a job.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/british ... edition-5/
10 possibly 11 Irish players according to this selection including one Joey Carbery.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think that on top form Dev would be in with a shout regardless of the competition, but I don't think he's on top form.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think that on top form Dev would be in with a shout regardless of the competition, but I don't think he's on top form.
agreed, plus how often does he ever steal opposition ball in general let alone compared to Gray, Itoje, or Charteris
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

I thought his form had returned last weekend. Played very well
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

erskinechilders wrote:I think last weekend changes a few things with the Lions, most of all Haskell is not good enough to be anywhere near the squad. Basing off a 37 man squad I would go with : Forwards(20) and Back(17)

Props ( 6 )
Jack McGrath
Mako Vunipola
Marler/ Healy - undecided as of yet, both could potentially get it.
Tadhg Furlong
Dan Cole
John Ryan - I think he has a real opportunity, dealt with a massive Toulouse pack and has been consistently excellent this year. V Solid Scrummager

Hookers ( 3 )
Rory Best
Jamie George
Ken Owens

Second Row ( 5 )
Maro Itoje
Joe Launchbury
George Kruis
Alun Wyn Jones
J Gray/ Donncha Ryan - toss up here, I would probably go for Ryan because of his experience, leadership and aggression. Brilliant for midweek

Back Rows ( 6 )
CJ Stander
Peter O'Mahony
Sean O'Brien
Sam Warburton
Taulupe Faletau
Billy Vunipola
- Tough on Tipuric I know but I feel the others have the edge physically on him

Scrumhalf ( 3 )
Conor Murray
Rhys Webb
Ben Youngs

Outhalf ( 3 )
Johnny Sexton
Owen Farrell
Ford/ Russell... Can't make my mind up here, Carbery could be a bolter for 10/15!

Centres ( 5 )
Robbie Henshaw
Garry Ringrose
Jonathon Davies ( covers 12 )
Jonathon Joseph
Jared Payne/ Alex Dunbar

Back Three ( 6 )
Elliot Daly ( covers 11-15 )
Anthony Watson
George North
Liam Williams
Stuart Hogg
Simon Zebo
Not sure about John Ryan, he really impressed me against Toulouse and can scrummage but I wouldnt be surprised to see Kyle Sincklair chosen as a finisher or Nel if fit.
I think there's a place up for grabs between AWY and Johnny Gray, final 2nd row spot to go to Henderson
Backrow, i'd have Tipiruc ahead of SOB, much as I dont like saying it I cant see SOB lasting a full tour.
Back 3 - i'd try to find room for Nowell and Tommy Seymor, wouldnt trust Zebo, he's just too liable to make a daft mistake at the wrong time.

I can see a starting pack of McGrath Owens Furlong Launchbury (TBC Lawes, Henderson) Itoje at 6, Tipuric and Billy V - serious power, serious lineout, with Tipuric bringing pace.
in the backs
Murray Sexton Farrell Henshaw
Nowell Hogg WIlliams

But the beauty of the lions is that its down to what payers come into form and who loses form, the midweek games will be tough which should help raise the standard of the squad preparation coming into first test. I think the first test with the ref selected is going to be an absolute bloodbath, should we win the first test the 2nd test will be all out war. I think as with 2005 there will be a big attrition rate.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Can't see J Ryan getting there although I'd argue he is better than Lee and Sinkler. If Nel isn't pickjed (and its hard to argue that he should be) then it'll probably be Lee because Gatland

Can't see AWJ and Johnny Gray not being selected
TerenureJim wrote:How does Toner keep being omitted from these lists, he's guaranteed line out ball, huge weight in the tight, devastating on opposition line out and maul and improved hugely in the loose. Regularly outplays rivals.
Toner simply isn't guaranteed lineout ball and he definitely definitely isn't devasting on opposition lineout (POM, Itoje, Gray, AWJ, Kruis all a lot better than him in this regard) - Toner is very good but this is probably the position with the best depth that the Lions have - why there needed to be some munster bashing I'm not sure - kind of guy that could well get called up though

Ringrose chances have gone up with the Jones injury - there will be probably 4 centres excluding Farrell - Ringrose is in contention for the last spot (lot depends on teh approach Gatland wants to take - and I don't think that its set in stone that he wants a crash ball 12

I don't see Carberry as a real bolter tbh - I think he will want a more experienced 10 as Farrell will be a 10/12, whereas last time Farrell and Sexton were out and out 10's and Hogg was a bolter for 10 and 15. Hogg is obviously likely to start at 15 - the back up here will be interesting - I wouldn't rule out Halfpenny (again Gatland) but Zebo would well force himself in with him and Williams providing 15 backup (Zebo doesn't really do daft mistakes - lazy cliche about 4 years out of date)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Warburton hobbles off up in Ravers
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

whats the opposite of a bolter? need to know what to call Biggar, hes on the express packet to Tonga
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote:whats the opposite of a bolter? need to know what to call Biggar, hes on the express packet to Tonga
Bottler
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:whats the opposite of a bolter? need to know what to call Biggar, hes on the express packet to Tonga
Bottler
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Sky commentators bigging up Cronin's chances after the MOTM displays vs Ospreys but it's almost definitely come too late. The fact that hooker is the Lions' weakest position gives him a faint chance.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Well in so far as a player with 50 caps can be a bolter then he would be one - don't see it though - Best, Hartley, George, Owens, Brown all ahead of him - he offers ssomething else as an impact sure but not certain that Gatland really wants impact from his hookers - probably wants nuts and bolts as much as anything as he islikely to target the NZ set piece