The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by offshorerules »

The Daily Telegraph's Lions squad:

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Joe Launchbury (England).

BACK ROW: Chris Robshaw (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), James Haskell (England), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland).
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

This will not go down well on Shelbyville. Rob Kearney in a squad with no Zebo or their beloved Keet. Oh dear.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Are things down there too amicable for you right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

4 looseheads and 1 tighthead???
4 fullbacks???

Cant see Bob making it. Halfpenny needs to sort his kicking, even if he does I dont think hes an essential kicker which diminishes his usefullness. Liam Williams probably the best fullback
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not a bad squad but even though I try not to pay attention to these things I still got annoyed at Furlong being left out :lol:

I don't think Dev will travel but was thinking recently that he might end up being one of our best players to never be a Lion. For all the criticism he's got over the best part of a decade he's now first choice lock and has been immense for the entirety of Joe's reign. Even those who rate him (and there were many who thought he was shite) probably thought he'd be a stopgap at international level, but he's a real linchpin in that pack now. Two 6 Nations championships, a first win in SA (when he was MOTM very shortly after his father passed away) and a first win against NZ. He's been superb and has a great CV. The guy is a hero and I was very tempted to start an appreciation thread but this will do for now!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Are things down there too amicable for you right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dear friend I hope you are not accusing me of the heinous crime of wumming? ;)
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:4 looseheads and 1 tighthead???
4 fullbacks???

Cant see Bob making it. Halfpenny needs to sort his kicking, even if he does I dont think hes an essential kicker which diminishes his usefullness. Liam Williams probably the best fullback
Totally agree Simon - if picked by the Torygraph's Rugby Writers, it must have been at the end the Awards Ceremony last Sunday when they had a couple of days of continuous re-hydration.

Second-row re TH & LH choices also looks a bit iffy as does back-row distribution of skills and combinations.

Gatland will be desperately trying to look for combinations which can come together with relative ease, given the timeline of the First Test in particular, relative to the end of Season Finals in the Premiership and Pro12.

Some Journos think that picking a Lions Squad is about getting the best 32 guys on paper into a plane and quickly into the Southern Hemisphere. There's a lot more involved.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

offshorerules wrote:The Daily Telegraph's Lions squad:

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Joe Launchbury (England).

BACK ROW: Chris Robshaw (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), James Haskell (England), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland).
My changes :

Furlong in for Jenkins, at least he's a proper tighthead!
Jonny Gray for Launchbury
Sean O'Brien for Robshaw
George Ford/ Finn Russell for BIggar, who's not in great form at the moment!
I would question Roberts at the moment as well, he hasn't played very well for a long time, will Aki be qualified for Ireland at this point or is too early?
Elliot Daly/ Jared Payne for Kearney, both offer much more flexibility
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

whoops they had 4 LH and 2 TH props
only one genuine 7 though

Simon Geoghan will always be the greatest player let alone Irish to never be a Lion :wink:
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

simonokeeffe wrote:whoops they had 4 LH and 2 TH props
only one genuine 7 though

Simon Geoghan will always be the greatest player let alone Irish to never be a Lion :wink:
Mention for Stringer as well, have to feel sorry for him not getting a nod for the monster 2005 squad, that said what a horrid tour.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Quite a few of the UK based pundits predicting Josh VDF could travel if he has a decent 6N. Hard to argue with.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:Quite a few of the UK based pundits predicting Josh VDF could travel if he has a decent 6N. Hard to argue with.
Does he travel ahead of Hardie, Haskell, Robshaw if hes not starting for us though?
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Based on weekend performances (and Irish bias!), definitely think O'Brien, Furlong, VDF and maybe even Zebo are strong contenders to be added to that list
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

In particular Furlong, yes. Absolutely outstanding. But huge credit to all the Irish back row who dominated their opponents in my view.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Don't think VDF will make it, Zebo has a great chance though. The Lions countries have good depth at second row so I don't think Toner will make it. Even Best is not a guaranteed selection.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

As I've said in previous posts it's waaaaay too early for predictions now but based on all the performances to date I think Dev has a decent chance. Maybe wait until the end of the next round of matches to see but I can't think of anyother second row that has stood out at this point.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

am loving how WP Nel is still making Lions XVs despite Tadhg Furlong, not playing this autumn, and Tadhg Furlong
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

It's the safe bet for our Anglo Saxon commentators. W-P or Ta-duge
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:It's the safe bet for our Anglo Saxon commentators. W-P or Ta-duge
Think youre right :D

Also keeps the token Scot quota up a bit. Johnny Gray is in a battle royale, Hogg should go but not in the test side unless Liam Williams really manages to do something stupid
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Haven't been overly impressed with Liam Williams this season. Thought he was outstanding last season but I think there's a big question mark over Wales/the Welsh players now. Thought they were terrible in the last month and I wouldn't be confident of them having a good 6N, which will obviously have a knock on effect for the Lions. I do still think Gatland will have a Welsh bias, but they looked disorganised without him and can see some players Lions' prospects suffering as a result.