Peg Leg wrote:I think Ireland would have won that series
I think Ireland would have nearly won the series
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by wixfjord »

The only place we're enormously below that Lions team is second row. Not sure Toner and Treadwell would be able to match up to Whitelock/Retallick.

Similarly there's much more physicality and pace in Lions outside backs.

The value of knowing the guys around you so well can't be overstated though.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I think Ireland would have nearly won the series
Snigger
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Lions got a few very dodgy calls today from Romaine Poite. If I was a Kiwi I'd be irritated. I didn't think that Kaino deserved a yellow card and Ken Owens was very obviously offside and caught the ball before dropping it right at the end.

The Lions might not be satisfied with a drawn match [and a drawn series] at the moment, but they should be. They were lucky to get a draw, both in the match and the series. I thought the final decision last weekend to penalise Charlie Faumuina was really iffy and obviously the Lions wouldn't have won the game without it. This time out they were the beneficiary of Romain Poite's extremely questionable decision, which is only 'in the spirit' of the game if you're a Lions fan.

Jordan Barrett is an International Player of the Year in waiting. I've never seen a more accomplished performance from a 20 year old in as big a match. He was absolutely nerveless out there and was extremely impressive. Very interesting to see where Hansen decides is his best position.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think a large percentage of penalties given for offsides in those circumstances should actually be scrums, in the sense that it's not an individual's fault if the ball hits off him after going forward off a teammate (even if he instinctively half sticks out an arm). Kaino's was definitely a yellow for me. I would actually say the penalty at the death last week (Faumuina on Sinckler) was a tough call where AB fans had a right to feel aggrieved.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

It was an atrocious call by Poite (he should have played advantage) just as his call against Warburton for the very first penalty was too. Serious quality in the NZ restarts which other teams should work hard to copy.

How on earth did AWJ pass the HIA? It seems extraordinary that he was allowed back on to the field after what happened to him. I hope that he does not suffer as a result. Very good piece on him on the BBC Sport site

Finally, what an amazing 12 months Tadhgh Furlong has had. He is undoubtedly our first world class tight head in years. Massive credit is due to him and his coaches at Leinster and Ireland
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

The fact that AW Jones was allowed back today is a telling indictment of World Rugby's ruling on HIAs . Players today are bigger,faster and stronger than those who went before them but this means the hits have more impact. Some players are more brave than clever and must be protected from themselves or we could end up with more and more player developing brain diseases earlier in their lives
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Garland is a lucky general.
Hansen and NZ were afraid the lions could do an Ireland on them.
They adjusted their strategy which made them lest dangerous.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

think Im the only who thought the call last week on Sinckler was ok, he jumped to catch the ball not jump into the tackle
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:think Im the only who thought the call last week on Sinckler was ok, he jumped to catch the ball not jump into the tackle
Instinctively I thought he jumpe into the tackle, on rewatching he did jump for the ball.

Bigger issue was the tackle looked like a no arm tackle - so yeah it was a good penalty
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:think Im the only who thought the call last week on Sinckler was ok, he jumped to catch the ball not jump into the tackle
Instinctively I thought he jumpe into the tackle, on rewatching he did jump for the ball.

Bigger issue was the tackle looked like a no arm tackle - so yeah it was a good penalty
I feel Sinckler hadn't jumped for the ball it would have been a penalty for a no arm trip tackle without the ball. Instead it was the penalty it was.

The yellow yesterday should be completely uncontroversial, he came in head high with his eyes open and swung his arm at AWJ, who was also getting a no arm tackle on his left at the same time.

I just don't see how the offside wasn't a penalty. NZ were robbed of a kick to win the series by an inconsistent decision.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

wixfjord wrote:
The only place we're enormously below that Lions team is second row. Not sure Toner and Treadwell would be able to match up to Whitelock/Retallick.

Similarly there's much more physicality and pace in Lions outside backs.

The value of knowing the guys around you so well can't be overstated though.
Its pretty hard for our back's to show any pace when they are getting the ball standing still the whole time.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Reid was yards offside from the restart

https://twitter.com/KeithClarke1/status ... 0426845189
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

cormac wrote:Reid was yards offside from the restart

https://twitter.com/KeithClarke1/status ... 0426845189
He wasn't. That still tells you nothing. Watch the video footage and you'll see that he times his run excellently.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

fourthirtythree wrote:The yellow yesterday should be completely uncontroversial, he came in head high with his eyes open and swung his arm at AWJ, who was also getting a no arm tackle on his left at the same time.
Thought I posted about this last night but clearly pressed the wrong button at the crucial moment. Absolutely - the yellow was automatic for a swinging arm to the head. At least Poite spotted that one, there were a few neck rolls and no-arms efforts sprinkled about the place that he missed.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

The series is over and going back over decisions good or bad only frustrates you, the big thing I would be looking at now is the condition of the Irish players coming back. I just hope the injuries they shipped are not as serious some of them looked
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

BaBas trying to make their game v NZ on November 4th in Twickenham an unofficial 4th test and are talking to the unions about player release

They can f right off

Regular AIs start the next week. Wales have 4 games so theyll probably say no as will Eddie Jones
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

For all the criticism I had for Gatland he got the test team to gel pretty well and drawing the series is a great achievement even if it feels hollow because of how it played out. Still think he made a lot of mistakes and was lucky with some aspects of the series but at the end of the day he managed to mould a team that could toe to toe with the best team in the world in a very short period of time.

As much as I still think NZ are the best team in the world, they must be a bit worried about some of the new generation not quite stepping up as expected. Every time we've expected a reaction from them after a relatively poor performance they haven't really managed it. Yes they played some great stuff in Dublin but that victory was more about the physical aspect and they got lucky with cards/our injuries. Considering how good their Super Rugby teams have looked, they've just been a bit flat in comparison.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:For all the criticism I had for Gatland he got the test team to gel pretty well and drawing the series is a great achievement even if it feels hollow because of how it played out. Still think he made a lot of mistakes and was lucky with some aspects of the series but at the end of the day he managed to mould a team that could toe to toe with the best team in the world in a very short period of time.
When Gatland was doing things a head coach does he was a success, when he did things a Director of Rugby does he was a disaster.
I have Bumbleflex