The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by offshorerules »

blockhead wrote:Meanwhile in the INDO, Mule has 9 Irish in the Lions starting team, based on current form. That includes 6 ladyboys!
How many muck savages?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

blockhead wrote:Meanwhile in the INDO, Mule has 9 Irish in the Lions starting team, based on current form. That includes 6 ladyboys!
Bizarrely in some ways - his team based on 'current' form includes 5 players currently out injured!
Four Stars
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Lar wrote:
Bizarrely in some ways - his team based on 'current' form includes 5 players currently out injured!
That just tells how bad the alternatives are.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:
Lar wrote:
That just tells how bad the alternatives are.
Let's not use that descriptive terminology (even in jest) which means very different things in different places.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Welsh of all people/meeja are having a go at him over it now for being parochial

Gatty saying he turned down Chiefs job (after Joe) which would seem odd/obstinate if he ever wanted ABs. Lions legend Dai Young would seem to be frontrunner to replace him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:I'd say Toner might miss out due to his lack of versatility/impact.

I'd have L Williams ahead of Brown by a good bit at the moment too. Would love to see Seymour tour also.
Huw Jones (the South Africa born, Welsh sounding Scottish international) might be in with a decent shout too.
I think you have to bring Toner and probably play him. His overall game is that good and he's shown the damage he can do against NZ. If nothing else he keeps them honest.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

simonokeeffe wrote:The Welsh of all people/meeja are having a go at him over it now for being parochial

Gatty saying he turned down Chiefs job (after Joe) which would seem odd/obstinate if he ever wanted ABs. Lions legend Dai Young would seem to be frontrunner to replace him
Poor Marty :(
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'd say Toner might miss out due to his lack of versatility/impact.

I'd have L Williams ahead of Brown by a good bit at the moment too. Would love to see Seymour tour also.
Huw Jones (the South Africa born, Welsh sounding Scottish international) might be in with a decent shout too.
I think you have to bring Toner and probably play him. His overall game is that good and he's shown the damage he can do against NZ. If nothing else he keeps them honest.
Toner certainly doesn't demand selection in any way but he is the kind of guy who might make the squad and then could end up on teh team and would probably be fine - has come on leaps and bounds. That said I can't see him ahead of Wynn Jones (who I think will be captain - it won't be Hartley, I don'tthinkl he'll go for Best bnecause I reckon Gatland wants Hartley playing and Warburton - arguably shouldnb't be in the Wales team at the moment). Itoje is a definite and I would almost go as far to say that Jonny Gray is as well - he has been excellent. All before you consider Launchbury (who I think will go), Kruis, Henderson, Lawes - very hard to get on teh tour - and Toner either starts or nothing imo - no way are they going to have Toner on the bench ahead of the likes of Launchbury or Henderson

Francis must have been on the beer when he put his team together - his "form" 15 obviously forgot about the form part - Itoje, Warburton, Kearney, North, Vunipola were all included. Even allowing for that - selecting Itoje and Henderson as the second row pairing?Kearney as the fb (with Hogg on the wing?)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Golf Man wrote: Toner certainly doesn't demand selection in any way but he is the kind of guy who might make the squad and then could end up on teh team and would probably be fine - has come on leaps and bounds.
I think you're seriously downplaying there! In terms of him demanding selection, he's no Itoje, but if you want guaranteed lineout ball, serious ruck workrate and a strong maul then he's the man.
In terms of him 'probably being fine' against NZ, I think we've seen again and again over the last while that he's well capable of more than 'fine' against the best sides.

I don't think he'll travel because he's inflexible and as you say will either start or not bench, but he'd be well worth a spot if he did.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ChrisUppy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:The Welsh of all people/meeja are having a go at him over it now for being parochial

Poor Marty :(
My thoughts exactly :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It's likely he'll bring 5 second-rows.

Wyn-Jones and Johnny Gray are near dead certs. Itoje and one of Kruis and Launchbury will surely go too. That leaves one more slot - the other Welsh second-rows are playing poorly but Richie Gray, Toner and Iain Henderson will all be in the mix. If Gatty wants a set-piece giant he'll pick Toner, if he wants a flexible player who brings more ball carrying, he'll go Henderson.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

neiliog93 wrote:It's likely he'll bring 5 second-rows.

Wyn-Jones and Johnny Gray are near dead certs. Itoje and one of Kruis and Launchbury will surely go too. That leaves one more slot - the other Welsh second-rows are playing poorly but Richie Gray, Toner and Iain Henderson will all be in the mix. If Gatty wants a set-piece giant he'll pick Toner, if he wants a flexible player who brings more ball carrying, he'll go Henderson.
Thats pretty spot on - Wyn Jones, Gray & Itoje + two from Kruis, Launchbury, Toner, Henderson at the moment - Richie Gray is further down the pecking order but you also have Charteris, Lawes

Wouldn't be at all suprised to see Toner go - there is probably a need for a safer option at lock - Kruis, Charteris and Toner probably fall into that category (bit like Geoff Parling on the last tour)

He is probably better placed than Henderson at this point in time though
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Greewood on the SKY podcast picks McGrath and Furlong as his first choice frontrow. Asked to pick a bolter for the tour, he chose Adam Byrne.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I really can't see Joe selecting Byrne in the 6 nations and therefore I don't think he has a chance. However going to Japan might be a great option for him.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

offshorerules wrote:I really can't see Joe selecting Byrne in the 6 nations and therefore I don't think he has a chance. However going to Japan might be a great option for him.
Byrne has looked very good lately but he has obvious issues in his game - hard to see him stepping up at this point in time - if there is a winger who steps up its probably more likley to be Sweetnam - not as much of a finisher but certainly a more rounded player at this point in time - and would seem to fit the Schmidt mould pretty well. There is probably 6/7 back 3 players in the wider squad - you would think R Kearney, Zebo, earls & Trimble are definites. O'Halloran probably deserves to be picked and with Payne out he probably will be - would not be at all suprised to see Bowe get back in - then you have Healy Gilroy and Adeolokun who have been capped recently before you even get to the likes of Sweetman or Byrne

Its probably a 35 man squad - at most 4-5 newer faces and being honest a lot of those will have played v Canada - think J Ryan, Holland, JOD, Leavy, LMcG, Tracey and Adeolokun got their debuts that day - a couple of them will probably be retained - Holland and McGrath would jump out as the most likely

Of the guys not capped Niall Scannell could well get in - probably between himself and Tracey actually for the third hooker slot. Rory Scannle is an good possibility, especially with Payne out although McCloskey should come back into the equation - Byrne or Sweetnam - long shots at this point in time

Agree though that Japan is made for the likes of them
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I also think that Joe going on the tour is a huge advantage for Ireland going into the world cup. I'm a big fan of the Lions but was delighted when Joe said he wasn't going on that tour.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Why do people keep calling Alun Wyn Jones ''Wyn Jones''? Wyn is a first name, not part of his surname
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

c
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

leinsterforever wrote:Why do people keep calling Alun Wyn Jones ''Wyn Jones''? Wyn is a first name, not part of his surname
Nobody's doing that, they're just referring to players by their surnames for the sake of brevity as is the norm for commentators. His surname is Wyn-Jones.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

neiliog93 wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:Why do people keep calling Alun Wyn Jones ''Wyn Jones''? Wyn is a first name, not part of his surname
Nobody's doing that, they're just referring to players by their surnames for the sake of brevity as is the norm for commentators. His surname is Wyn-Jones.
Pretty sure it isn't