The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The looking forward to the Lions Tour thread

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Heaslip is behind Vunipola IMO and loses out to Faletau on Welshness
Far prefer if Jamie pulled a Gordon D'Arcy and pulled a sickie.
Ireland supplies too much cannon fodder for these tour and usually pays the price as a result.
Explain the Darcy one?

Heaslip has 5 Lions tests from 2 tours, dont think a 3rd tour will change anyone's opinion of him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Heaslip is behind Vunipola IMO and loses out to Faletau on Welshness
Far prefer if Jamie pulled a Gordon D'Arcy and pulled a sickie.
Ireland supplies too much cannon fodder for these tour and usually pays the price as a result.
Explain the Darcy one?

Heaslip has 5 Lions tests from 2 tours, dont think a 3rd tour will change anyone's opinion of him
IIRC - D'arcy was on one (probably his last) of the Lions tours and picked up an injury from which he had almost recovered.
He was then picked for a mid week game, insisted he wasn't fully fit and declined to tog out.
My own, admittedly biased, view of the Lions tours is that, in general, Irish players were regarded as cannon fodder.
I've seen nothing on recent tours to change my opinion.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschool wrote: IIRC - D'arcy was on one (probably his last) of the Lions tours and picked up an injury from which he had almost recovered.
He was then picked for a mid week game, insisted he wasn't fully fit and declined to tog out.
My own, admittedly biased, view of the Lions tours is that, in general, Irish players were regarded as cannon fodder.
You spelt Gordan's name right.

Everything else in your post is a complete lie.

You are actually a disgrace for perpetuating it - it really badly damaged Darces reputation that particular piece of vile doggrel and every now and then some halfwit brings it up again. I've reported your post.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote: Explain the Darcy one?
Some liars told lies about him, some intellectual subnormals believed them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/d-arcy- ... e-1.777569
Nevertheless, the fear the Lions squad announcement might just come too early for him was compounded by a widely-held perception that he had dirtied his bib irretrievably with the Lions four years ago.

Upon announcing his Lions team and replacements for the third Test, dead rubber against the All Blacks in Auckland, Clive Woodward said D’Arcy had ruled himself out of consideration for the match on the grounds he was too exhausted. There had even been suggestions D’Arcy ought not to be picked for the Lions again after that.

Asked about this, D’Arcy admitted: “I was deeply disappointed that any rugby player, whatever about commentators or pundits, and particularly former British and Irish Lions, might suggest I would have chosen not to play in a Test match for the Lions because I was exhausted or suffering from exhaustion. That’s just nonsensical.

“I have to admit I was upset by it. Unfortunately the spin that was put on what occurred has ensured that certain people believed that,” said D’Arcy, who was adamant he had never, ever declined to play in a rugby match unless genuinely injured or unavailable.

Clearly irritated that a certain perception had gathered legs, D’Arcy added: “I know the truth of what happened but I want to put the matter to rest and there’s no better way of doing that than having the opportunity to play for the Lions again.”

D’Arcy was troubled by a shoulder injury towards the end of that Lions’ tour to New Zealand and, following an operation after his return to Ireland, he did not reappear on a rugby pitch until October 10th
as an aside, the injury was caused by Sam Tootypoopoo and he got a six week ban for it
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Jesus Dave, reporting the post? When'd you join the stasi? It's not a lie to OS if he believed it and in this case I'm sure he's happy to learn otherwise.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

On planet rugby there is an article suggesting Itoje for captain. I can't really see it being anyone other than Warbutton at the moment.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:On planet rugby there is an article suggesting Itoje for captain. I can't really see it being anyone other than Warbutton at the moment.
Theyre just trolling their Boer readers

Its Warburton for test side.

Midweek skipper J Gray/AWJ/POM my guesses
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

simonokeeffe wrote:
offshorerules wrote:On planet rugby there is an article suggesting Itoje for captain. I can't really see it being anyone other than Warbutton at the moment.

Hartley?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Hartley?
for test or midweek? Hartley will start tests but Warburton is in carbonite as skipper
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Oldschool wrote: IIRC - D'arcy was on one (probably his last) of the Lions tours and picked up an injury from which he had almost recovered.
You spelt Gordan's name right.

Everything else in your post is a complete lie.

You are actually a disgrace for perpetuating it - it really badly damaged Darces reputation that particular piece of vile doggrel and every now and then some halfwit brings it up again. I've reported your post.
You're a joke.
You could have interpreted my post one of two ways.
Needless to say you got it totally wrong.
For the record, not that you care, I agreed with D'Arcy's version of events.
My comment regarding cannon fodder should have given you pause for thought.
Do us all a favour and put me on ignore.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There are no two ways to interpret what you wrote. You perpetuated a pernicious lie about one of Leinster's greatest players, a lie that hurt him both personally and professionally. You never even mentioned "D'arcy's version of events" in your re-lying. And of course you are embarrassed by your actions but lack the grace to admit it. I may well be a joke, but at least I'm not someone who tells wilful and deliberate lies about Leinster players. I leave that to you.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:There are no two ways to interpret what you wrote. You perpetuated a pernicious lie about one of Leinster's greatest players, a lie that hurt him both personally and professionally. You never even mentioned "D'arcy's version of events" in your re-lying. And of course you are embarrassed by your actions but lack the grace to admit it. I may well be a joke, but at least I'm not someone who tells wilful and deliberate lies about Leinster players. I leave that to you.
The only one embarrassing themselves here, is you.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

I’m tired of the Lions, unless they’re in South Africa.

Nevertheless, if he stays fit (it is a very long season after all) Josh van der Flier could travel and have a big impact.

He is su-bloody-perb.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dirk Stickler wrote:I’m tired of the Lions, unless they’re in South Africa.

Nevertheless, if he stays fit (it is a very long season after all) Josh van der Flier could travel and have a big impact.

He is su-bloody-perb.
I love him but he'd need an absent SOB this 6n to stand a chance
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

In Gatty's post-tour report from 2013, he recommended that they take a greater number of players from the outset of the tour, as so many players were injured during the tour and had to be replaced.

I'm not expecting the number taken to be as high as the 44(?) Woodward took in 2005, but I'd say it'll be close enough to 40. Say 38:

1: J.McGrath, Marler, M.Vunipola
2: Hartley, George, Best (optimistic with this one)
3: Cole, Brookes, Nel

4+5: Itoje, Gray, Wyn-Jones, Charteris, Henderson...hard to leave out Lawes, Launchbury, Kruis etc

6: O'Mahony, Haskell
7: Warburton, SOB
8: Vunipola, Faletau, Hughes....sorry Jamie.

9: Murray, B.Youngs, Webb

10: Sexton, Farrell, Biggar

12+13: Roberts, Davies, Henshaw, Tuilagi, Joseph

11+14: Watson, North, Nowell, Seymour

15: Brown, Hogg, Halfpenny
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I would have thought given his indestructability Jamie will go.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

offshorerules wrote:I would have thought given his indestructability Jamie will go.
Yes, I should clarify that the above is roughly the squad I expect Gatland to select, rather than what I would want. I just can't see him being able to resist the power of Vunipola, Nathan Hughes and Faletau as the three 8s.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:In Gatty's post-tour report from 2013, he recommended that they take a greater number of players from the outset of the tour, as so many players were injured during the tour and had to be replaced.

I'm not expecting the number taken to be as high as the 44(?) Woodward took in 2005, but I'd say it'll be close enough to 40. Say 38:

1: J.McGrath, Marler, M.Vunipola
2: Hartley, George, Best (optimistic with this one)
3: Cole, Brookes, Nel

4+5: Itoje, Gray, Wyn-Jones, Charteris, Henderson...hard to leave out Lawes, Launchbury, Kruis etc

6: O'Mahony, Haskell
7: Warburton, SOB
8: Vunipola, Faletau, Hughes....sorry Jamie.

9: Murray, B.Youngs, Webb

10: Sexton, Farrell, Biggar

12+13: Roberts, Davies, Henshaw, Tuilagi, Joseph

11+14: Watson, North, Nowell, Seymour

15: Brown, Hogg, Halfpenny
Have to give that group some considerable thought. Certainly believe that Irish forwards in particular have two particular chances to impress selectors (not just Gatland) In the coming November.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd say Furlong will travel and will have a good chance of being a test starter. Marty might too depending on whether he's involved with Ireland or not.

I'd say Payne has a great chance of going too given that he can cover centre. There's a few good fullbacks to choose from and not that many wings to choose from so could see a few 15s travelling but then playing elsewhere e.g. Liam Williams and Hogg on the wing.

Could see Itoje being at 6, not many standouts on the flanks IMO.

Hooker looks very weak.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Last 3 I agree on, first 1 only if Ross doesnt start for Ireland