Murray Sexton
Zebo Henshaw Ringrose Bowe
Payne

Healy, Cronin, Dillane, SOB, McGrath, Jackson, A.N Other
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland Team for ABs

Post by simonokeeffe »

only changes I'd make to that are Marmion for McGrath on bench, Ross as 18, 23 a doozy as they have to cover wing too so I'd say TOH
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Joe loves Earls and distrusts Zebo so I'd say we'll see Earls at 14. Bowe has looked sharp for Ulster but is only just back, and Joe likes Trimble (RWC exclusion aside).

I think we'll see Earls at 14, Trimble at 11 and Bowe at 23. Everything else looks about right. If he doesn't start Ross he may well put Finlay Bealham at 18 for the sake of impact.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:Joe loves Earls and distrusts Zebo so I'd say we'll see Earls at 14. Bowe has looked sharp for Ulster but is only just back, and Joe likes Trimble (RWC exclusion aside).

I think we'll see Earls at 14, Trimble at 11 and Bowe at 23. Everything else looks about right. If he doesn't start Ross he may well put Finlay Bealham at 18 for the sake of impact.
14 is a doozy too as Earls and Zebo all naturally left wingers plus Trimble and Bowe unlikely to make RWC plus Zebo has been playing FB and Earls 13
personally I'd go Bowe for this season and let Sweetnam get experience
But Kissy and Joe will have an interesting chat leading to a revealing selection
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

backrower8 wrote:On current form/availability I would opt for:

McGrath Best (c) Furlong
Henderson Toner
Stander Heaslip VDF

Murray Sexton
Zebo Henshaw Ringrose Bowe
Payne

Healy, Cronin, Dillane, SOB, McGrath, Jackson, A.N Other
That's near enough, though I would give Ruddock a chance of involvement somewhere and think trimble might have the drop on Bowe. Agree with neilog that if Ross doesn't start, then a case could be made for bealham on the bench (unless Marty Moore is brought in, which isn't impossible either). There are likely to be a few knocks between now and then too, these European games are particularly massive for the pro12 teams to change what happened last year. Some of those players named are indeed already injured - I'd be inclined to keep seanie o'brien in storage until the return fixture, whilst Henserson's use of his right elbow did not look 100% on the weekend past.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

well its impossible to play Marty in Soldier Field :D
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Is that to do with international window arrangements I take it?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah there is a strong likelihood that SOB will be edged back in against Canada, with Ruddock or POM on the bench vs AB's in Chicago.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Is that to do with international window arrangements I take it?
Yup, against PRL rules for Wasps to release him
neiliog93 wrote:Yeah there is a strong likelihood that SOB will be edged back in against Canada, with Ruddock or POM on the bench vs AB's in Chicago.
If he plays a part in 2 euro games he might bench v ABs. Otherwise big issue of openside cover

as the tour party stands its relatively injury free, mostly fringe players missing so far
McFadden, Buckley, M Healy, McCloskey, Gilroy, Henry

Marshall, Strauss in need of gametime to prove fitness
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's a few guys who might be rusty/unavailable for that first NZ game. If we were lucky with injuries then we could give the squad a serious boost for the second one. Given that NZ are coming off a long season and it'll be our first hit out in ages, I think the first game could be a horror show for us but that we'll really target the second one and run them close.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

neiliog93 wrote:Joe loves Earls and distrusts Zebo so I'd say we'll see Earls at 14. Bowe has looked sharp for Ulster but is only just back, and Joe likes Trimble (RWC exclusion aside).

Imo bowe starts or doesn't make the squad, he is an out and out winger. Joe will go with someone who can cover a number of positions at 23 if he picks Jackson ahead of Madigan.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Yeah LRIP, I kind of feel that way too and would go further-I personally wouldn't be getting my knickers in a twist about that first game. Maybe no test match against NZ is a friendly, but the first one has an exhibition match feel for me. I wouldn't be keen on players being risked for that. Clap them on, clap them off, get 'em back to dublin and stuck into them nice and proper then.

Thanks for that Simon. Regarding international windows: what's the story with Madigan. Would he be available if so desired?

Bowe has 13 experience with the ospreys, but I'd say you're not far off M1. It was a while ago now. They possibly only need someone to cover 13 and outside that, mind you. If the 12 got hurt then sexton could go there with Jackson to 10.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

SOB, POM, Strauss, Marmion only ones liable to be rusty to varying degrees

Game is outside of IRB window so up to Bordeaux to release Madigan and theyve a T14 game so they wont. Dont think T14 have rules & fines like PRL but dont think Welsh guys ever got released for 4th AI

So Madigan aint making the first test or any bar Canada unless injuries
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:SOB, POM, Strauss, Marmion only ones liable to be rusty to varying degrees
No I'd add Bowe, Trimble, and Henshaw too. Maybe Ross if he doesn't see much game time in the next two matches. So hopefully all those guys will be fully sharp for the second game, and Moore might come into the mix too.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Bit off topic but Jaco Peyper reffing the Dublin game :?
Reynal is doing the Chicago one.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:SOB, POM, Strauss, Marmion only ones liable to be rusty to varying degrees
No I'd add Bowe, Trimble, and Henshaw too. Maybe Ross if he doesn't see much game time in the next two matches. So hopefully all those guys will be fully sharp for the second game, and Moore might come into the mix too.
Henshaw will have had 3 starts touch wood, maybe same with Bowe. Trimble yes

Moores treatment will be interesting

Ross and a few I mentioned plus nordies may play pro 12 week before Chicago
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really don't think 3 starts is all that much after a long enough lay off. And you're not just talking about being sharp, you're talking about being sharp enough to play the All Blacks who are on an amazing run and have spent the last few months together, totally different ball game. Whereas it's our first game, really don't see how our guys wouldn't be in better shape for the second game.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I really don't think 3 starts is all that much after a long enough lay off. And you're not just talking about being sharp, you're talking about being sharp enough to play the All Blacks who are on an amazing run and have spent the last few months together, totally different ball game. Whereas it's our first game, really don't see how our guys wouldn't be in better shape for the second game.
in terms of starters though; its less of an issue when these guys are on bench
Henshaw is looking like he hasnt missed a beat and hes the only rusty one bar maybe 14 (if its not Earls) thats going to start albeit he had a shorter layoff than say SOB or POM

think its more an issue of rusty guys not getting picked/not having time to make a case eg Strauss, Trimble, possibly Ross, one of the backrowers
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

We'll have to agree to disagree, really can't see how we won't be in better shape after we've got a couple of games under our belt.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree, really can't see how we won't be in better shape after we've got a couple of games under our belt.
That ropey Australia team is in for it :)

Do take your point about teams gelling as a season or tournament goes, I was thinking in more individual terms. But we have odd habit of doing best in first game of tours especially albeit thats a lot earlier in their season