Lions 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Lions 2017

Post by Golf Man »

Talking about Murray I assume

No real captaincy experience afaik - I can see him as part of the leadership team because I think he is pretty nailed on, experienced and in such a key position - thats probably why they are touting him as captain material, as well as the fact that the other options - AWJ, Warburton, Best, Hartley - are in some ways unlikely to start or even tour. I do think he'll go with one of teh Welsh guys though - AWJ probably - although he may not make the test team.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Peg Leg wrote:Who?
Conor Murray
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Golf Man wrote:Talking about Murray I assume

No real captaincy experience afaik - I can see him as part of the leadership team because I think he is pretty nailed on, experienced and in such a key position - thats probably why they are touting him as captain material, as well as the fact that the other options - AWJ, Warburton, Best, Hartley - are in some ways unlikely to start or even tour. I do think he'll go with one of teh Welsh guys though - AWJ probably - although he may not make the test team.
I'd pretty much agree with all that. If I was Best reading Kellys articles I be a little peeved. Depends a bit on the last 2 rounds of games in the 6n I think. There is no stand out candidate. Can't see Gatland picking Hartley and Wales could end up in a bad place by the end of this tournament which would (should ) severely hamper AWJs chances.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

desperado wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Talking about Murray I assume

I'd pretty much agree with all that. If I was Best reading Kellys articles I be a little peeved. Depends a bit on the last 2 rounds of games in the 6n I think. There is no stand out candidate. Can't see Gatland picking Hartley and Wales could end up in a bad place by the end of this tournament which would (should ) severely hamper AWJs chances.
I completely agree on Best but the experience that Gatland would have of him from 2013 will really count against him. Wouldn't be surprised if the announcement of captain was very much framed around tour captain, mentioning no guarantee of test starts etc. If you want an outside bet for captain I'd go for Farrell - capataincy experience, previous Lion, top form and will be a key player, (but a ball playing 12 isn't really Gatlands thing and he is no certainty to be the first choice 10)
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Before the final 2 rounds in 6N I expect 6 Irish players to be reasonably certain to travel & challenge for Lions test team: Henshaw at 12,13, or 15, Sexton, Murray, J.McGrath, Furlong & Stander. Re Henshaw - Farrell likely at 12 but Henshaw to be accommodated probably at 15 with Hogg in reserve not trusted for tests.

I believe Ringrose, Best, Toner, O'Brien & Heaslip will also travel which brings us up to 11. Of the remaining 4 starters tomorrow D.Ryan excellent but there are too many good second rows likely to be picked ahead of him unless he has monster games against Wales/England which he is capable of, of the Irish back 3 would think 2/3 Scots(Hogg,Seymour,Visser), 2/3 Welsh(Halpenny,North,L.Williams), and 4/5 English(Brown,Watson,Nowell,Daly,May) at least are ahead of them but Earls has a small chance.

After that Healy in competition with Marler & Vunipolo, also in front row N.Scannell & J.Ryan could be surprises as less competition at 3 and a certain England captain could yet not get picked at 2. Henderson, Payne, O'Mahony have small chance but would probably do very well if given a chance & 3 young Leinster back rows Conan, VDF & Leavy are complete outsiders but have a feeling one will go at least as a replacement & end up doing really well (Munster derision can start now!)