Special Project Players

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Special Project Players

Post by Dave Cahill »

No they won't. Presidents of the FFR making solo runs happens every week and twice during Summer. If the FFR voted for everything various presidents said they would, we'd be playing a cross between soccer and backgammon.

The reality of this statement is that next year is an election year in France. Laporte's party, Les Republicans are moving to the right in order to compete with the FN and this is just a rightist politician making a volkisch statement.
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

artaneboy wrote:
offshorerules wrote:I don't have particularly strong view on this but I do remember one Irish team that only had one person in the backs actually born in Ireland back in the late 80's so it been an issue for quite some time.
1991 had the most glaring example- is that the year you mean? All London Irish input of Geoghegan, Staples, Saunders, Curtis... who else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Smith at outhalf and of course Israel's Brenny Mullin!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

gavin mortimer ‏@gavinmortimer7 2h2 hours ago

Just got round to reading a big interview with FFR chief Bernard Laporte in yesterday's @midi_olympique. Had this to say about foreigners
Bill Beaumont has asked us if we're ready to support World Rugby's project to increase the residency rule from 3 to 5 years. I told him:
'You have no worries about France, it's finished that. There will be no more foreigners playing for France. For me, it's forbidden'."
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

All Blacks nil wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
offshorerules wrote:I don't have particularly strong view on this but I do remember one Irish team that only had one person in the backs actually born in Ireland back in the late 80's so it been an issue for quite some time.
1991 had the most glaring example- is that the year you mean? All London Irish input of Geoghegan, Staples, Saunders, Curtis... who else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Smith at outhalf and of course Israel's Brenny Mullin!!!!
That's the one, I think it was Kenny Murphy at full back being the only Irish born player. And also don't let us ever forget Irelands greatest import USA's Ronan O'Gara. :D
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jamie Heaslip is Ireland's greatest import.
Another Messiah that the Jews missed out on.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:Jamie Heaslip is Ireland's greatest import.
he's not the messiah he's a...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Jamie Heaslip is Ireland's greatest import.
he's not the messiah he's a...
Miracle worker.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Aki isnt committing to us just yet

"I literally do not know what I want to do at the end of the season, or who I want to play for. First off, I need to make sure that Connacht do well," he said. (Indo)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Unless he is going to buy himself out of his Connacht contract his only choices for Intl rugby are Ireland or Samoa.

Even if he did buy himself out he would probably have to also take a pay cut to go back to NZ and try to get into the ABs.

So. Big money in France or England but no intl Rugby for at least another 3 years (if they don't extend it to 5) or play for Ireland (or Samoa if he doesn't care about cash)

He does have a history of talking before he considers his options though.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

I would guess playing international rugby here would be a big enough cash boost (off field earnings too) to compete with any offer Aki would receive across the ponds
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

R-Dog wrote:I would guess playing international rugby here would be a big enough cash boost (off field earnings too) to compete with any offer Aki would receive across the ponds
Yes. That's what I was driving at. It's probably his best option. Maybe uncle Joe is not keen?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
R-Dog wrote:I would guess playing international rugby here would be a big enough cash boost (off field earnings too) to compete with any offer Aki would receive across the ponds
Yes. That's what I was driving at. It's probably his best option. Maybe uncle Joe is not keen?
You have to be committed to learn the gameplans :)

Samoa are a mess at the moment but he walks into a world cup squad
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Hopefully he chooses Samoa then. We have other centres in Ireland. They might not as good as Aki, but they're Irish.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Scotland in an odd position now, a couple of their recently projected players Strauss (likely) and Nel (possibly) might be off in the summer along with possibly John Hardie. Nesei Manu who was a failed project is probably off too leaving Edinburgh with glamorous project players of Michael Allen and Rory Scholes but Anton Bresler and Phil Burleigh qualifiy.

So they tied up a spot for 3 years, played for Scotland for 2 then left but can stay playing for Scotland obviously, not sure thats a good look or result really, happened with Visser and Maitland* already
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RFU pushing for residency to go to 5 years now too, saying theyll implement that themselves if its not made a rule

looking at voting structure of the council again its going to come to whether Canada, Romania, Italy, USA vote for it for it to pass, unless one or two of Ireland, Scotland, NZ, Australia do a surprising heel turn and vote for it (needs 30/40 votes to pass)
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Nesei Manu who was a failed project is probably off too leaving Edinburgh
Really? Any word where he is going?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Interesting that for all the chatter from the likes of Paul kimmmage, Stander is the only nationalised player in our 40 man squad. Bealham also in there on the grandparents card.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
Nesei Manu who was a failed project is probably off too leaving Edinburgh
Really? Any word where he is going?
He was injured most of the time, so it was a lucky move financially. Scotland but especially Edinburgh have a litany of failed projects

Bealham was also here four years or so before first cap
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

CiaranIrl wrote:Interesting that for all the chatter from the likes of Paul kimmmage, Stander is the only nationalised player in our 40 man squad. Bealham also in there on the grandparents card.
Kimmage will say it's due to the success of his campaign!
A proud Winsome Fluter
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Interesting that for all the chatter from the likes of Paul kimmmage, Stander is the only nationalised player in our 40 man squad. Bealham also in there on the grandparents card.
Kimmage will say it's due to the success of his campaign!
Course it will be. That rambling piece he wrote about how he helped Stephen Roche to win a world championship made all the difference.
We're all red on the inside.