Devin Toner

Ireland heve beaten the All Blacks

Post by Donny B. »

Sit back and enjoy.................
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: Ireland heve beaten the All Blacks

Post by Fan with smartphone »

.....and holders of the Raeburn shield (if it wasn't imaginary).
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

It's on sky channel 423 free view now
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Nice piece to start us off. From the herald itself:
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/arti ... d=11743128
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Fan with smartphone wrote:Nice piece to start us off. From the herald itself:
Terrible etiquette for me to quote myself, but grant Fox interview worth a listen there. The New Zealand humility and respect for the game isn't really corporate marketing bullshit ye know. It's real enough. They really do seem to treasure the way the game is played, at least as much as the result. That may change if we can beat them again mind you!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The extraordinary aspect of this win is that there was nothing extraordinary about the performance. No 60m intercept try, no individual magic break, no dramatic last ditch tackle to keep them out.

Each Irish player did yesterday what he has done on previous occasions. But they all did it. They all performed together for 80 minutes plus, with a level of belief that they could do it at this level and with an enduring dedication to think, decide and execute in every situation.

In world rugby terms, this performance and victory has resonated around the sports world, in a manner that was, perhaps, only matched by the victory of Japan over mighty South Africa during the Rugby World Cup 2015. In both instances, it was not just the occurrence that has been remarked on, but, more significantly, the manner of execution of the win. Tactical and technical excellence were every bit as evident as passion and will to win.

Without doubt enormous credit must be paid to all of the Coaching Staff. The defence and tackling were magnificent. The line-outs were a centrepiece of analysis and execution and denied the NZ team vital possession. The scrums, with every combination, were never less than solid and sometimes even dominant. The clearouts were decisive. The ball presentation was exemplary. The passing and off-loads were excellent and rarely risky. The kicking, whether in the air to chase or line kicks for ground gains, were of the highest calibre. Above all, the confidence of each player in the guys beside him was total. The overall fitness level of every Irish player was monumental and at no stage suffered in comparision to their opponents.

From Joe Schmidt through Andy Farrell, Simon Easterby, Greg Feek, Richie Murphy, Jason Cowman, Mervyn Murphy, Michael Kearney and every other backroom member, this was excellence in operation The game plan included resilience and mental toughness because, inevitably, there were mistakes and moments of brilliance from our opponents, but these were anticipated and therefore were not the cause of collapse, merely re-alignment and adjustment.

There will be no fear of the return game in a fortnight. Unlike previous occasions where we got close, there will be no anticipation of "What have we done, we've awoken the lion". Now we have them in front of our own people. Now we have this Squad and more, players who missed out on yesterday, but who adamantly believe they can contribute to Ireland repeating that performance. I've always been an optimist about the level to which Irish Rugby can rise, but never have I been more confident that there are now sufficient Irish players, with the requisite skills, who can play to this level and, with the confidence that yesterdays result engendered, throw off the shackles of the fear of losing and prove that we have what it takes as a rugby nation to play in that fashion more often.

There were so many factors which contributed to that performance and victory. The close-run heartbreak of 2013. The under-performance at RWC2015. The manner and unexpectedness of Connacht's Pro12 victory last year. The emotional 'reality-check' of Anthony Foley's death in Paris. The unique opportunity to play NZ in Chicago in the week the Cubs broke their 108 year hoodoo. The loss of three senior 2nd rows to NZ when facing opponents they know they should respect but to whom they find it hard to believe they might ever lose. Joe Schmidt's charisma, drive, attention to detail and quiet desire to ensure that NZ rugby should respect what Irish rugby is about.

Rugby is only a sport and yesterday's game was a Test Match, not part of any competition. Nevertheless, it was a momentous performance and a well-merited Rugby victory, based on all of the aspects of the game that have been valued for as long as the game has been played.

Sincere thanks to all of the Irish Camp who contributed to that great acheivement
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

The extraordinary aspect of this win is that there was nothing extraordinary about the performance. No 60m intercept try, no individual magic break, no dramatic last ditch tackle to keep them out.

Each Irish player did yesterday what he has done on previous occasions. But they all did it. They all performed together for 80 minutes plus, with a level of belief that they could do it at this level and with an enduring dedication to think, decide and execute in every situation.

In world rugby terms, this performance and victory has resonated around the sports world, in a manner that was, perhaps, only matched by the victory of Japan over mighty South Africa during the Rugby World Cup 2015. In both instances, it was not just the occurrence that has been remarked on, but, more significantly, the manner of execution of the win. Tactical and technical excellence were every bit as evident as passion and will to win.

Without doubt enormous credit must be paid to all of the Coaching Staff. The defence and tackling were magnificent. The line-outs were a centrepiece of analysis and execution and denied the NZ team vital possession. The scrums, with every combination, were never less than solid and sometimes even dominant. The clearouts were decisive. The ball presentation was exemplary. The passing and off-loads were excellent and rarely risky. The kicking, whether in the air to chase or line kicks for ground gains, were of the highest calibre. Above all, the confidence of each player in the guys beside him was total. The overall fitness level of every Irish player was monumental and at no stage suffered in comparision to their opponents.

From Joe Schmidt through Andy Farrell, Simon Easterby, Greg Feek, Richie Murphy, Jason Cowman, Mervyn Murphy, Michael Kearney and every other backroom member, this was excellence in operation The game plan included resilience and mental toughness because, inevitably, there were mistakes and moments of brilliance from our opponents, but these were anticipated and therefore were not the cause of collapse, merely re-alignment and adjustment.

There will be no fear of the return game in a fortnight. Unlike previous occasions where we got close, there will be no anticipation of "What have we done, we've awoken the lion". Now we have them in front of our own people. Now we have this Squad and more, players who missed out on yesterday, but who adamantly believe they can contribute to Ireland repeating that performance. I've always been an optimist about the level to which Irish Rugby can rise, but never have I been more confident that there are now sufficient Irish players, with the requisite skills, who can play to this level and, with the confidence that yesterdays result engendered, throw off the shackles of the fear of losing and prove that we have what it takes as a rugby nation to play in that fashion more often.

There were so many factors which contributed to that performance and victory. The close-run heartbreak of 2013. The under-performance at RWC2015. The manner and unexpectedness of Connacht's Pro12 victory last year. The emotional 'reality-check' of Anthony Foley's death in Paris. The unique opportunity to play NZ in Chicago in the week the Cubs broke their 108 year hoodoo. The loss of three senior 2nd rows to NZ when facing opponents they know they should respect but to whom they find it hard to believe they might ever lose. Joe Schmidt's charisma, drive, attention to detail and quiet desire to ensure that NZ rugby should respect what Irish rugby is about.

Rugby is only a sport and yesterday's game was a Test Match, not part of any competition. Nevertheless, it was a momentous performance and a well-merited Rugby victory, based on all of the aspects of the game that have been valued for as long as the game has been played.

Sincere thanks to all of the Irish Camp who contributed to that great acheivement

Great post ruckedtobits. That about covers it!

Last night a big fillip for the bid for the rugby World Cup too. I mean to host it like. Such a monumental day. The atmosphere consistently provided by Irish support is not bettered by anyone. I think you can expect to see a World Cup in the states sooner rather than later into the bargain.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Nice piece to start us off. From the herald itself:
Classy article. Hard to capture the satisfaction as much as the joy that the win brings. Great coaching and selection of course- how could we doubt them, but I think the key factor is the obvious one of having strength in depth. Even three years ago we had sketchy cover in many positions; but now even with Jackson, O'Mahony, Seanie, Henderson, etc. missing we had the replacements needed.

We need not fear two weeks time either- but obviously there will be a reaction. Bring it on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Thinking of all who went before and led the way. Willie Anderson advancing on them. O'Driscoll having to go off in 2013. Anthony Foley. I remember John Muldoon breaking his arm on tour against the Maoris. He kept on tackling Rory Best-style until the next break in play. The women. The under 20s. The coaches. Ah it's euphoria. It's everything you hoped it would be. Is it too much to ask for a series victory in Dublin?!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

An amazing victory! What makes it sweeter is the lack of injuries (apart from Jordi Murphy). Schmidt can now play a settled 23 with maybe 1 change depending on Murphy's injury assessment. This gives us a serious chance to beat them again on the 19th. The hoodoo has being lifted! They did it!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sunshiner1 wrote:An amazing victory! What makes it sweeter is the lack of injuries (apart from Jordi Murphy). Schmidt can now play a settled 23 with maybe 1 change depending on Murphy's injury assessment. This gives us a serious chance to beat them again on the 19th. The hoodoo has being lifted! They did it!
JVDF on for Jordi and SOB onto bench? And that's without discussing Stander v POM. Jesus wept but we have insane depth in the back row
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/arti ... d=11743353

Herald also with an article about how did we let Schmidt go?
Fools!
But he'll be inked in for 2019 now I'd have to argue. Let's enjoy him when he is here. The next 3years will be fun for a start.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I'm just hoping Joe says no to any Lions approaches we need to stay focused on team Ireland here and build for RWC 2019 with some good 6N in between, dare I say it maybe even having a tilt at another grand slam but at least a championship win, keep Lansdowne full and keep the finances coming in to fund the whole system.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

TerenureJim wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:An amazing victory! What makes it sweeter is the lack of injuries (apart from Jordi Murphy). Schmidt can now play a settled 23 with maybe 1 change depending on Murphy's injury assessment. This gives us a serious chance to beat them again on the 19th. The hoodoo has being lifted! They did it!
JVDF on for Jordi and SOB onto bench? And that's without discussing Stander v POM. Jesus wept but we have insane depth in the back row
TBH, I thought VDF was slightly overwhelmed he's not as strong over the ball against the top opposition yet, that may come in time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ireland have traditionally produced a potentially match winning performance one in every three games they play against NZ.
By changing that ratio the seemingly impossible became doable.

Sent from myMobile using keypad
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Any update on Jordi's injury?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
TBH, I thought VDF was slightly overwhelmed he's not as strong over the ball against the top opposition yet, that may come in time though.
2nd highest tackle count (1 fewer than Stander) despite being on the pitch 25% less..
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

No doubt he tackled his heart out, nor am I knocking his performance, just think he's not the finished article yet and there's more to come.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

TerenureJim wrote:I'm just hoping Joe says no to any Lions approaches we need to stay focused on team Ireland here and build for RWC 2019 with some good 6N in between, dare I say it maybe even having a tilt at another grand slam but at least a championship win, keep Lansdowne full and keep the finances coming in to fund the whole system.
He'd be mad to get involved there. Not sure I would want sexton or seanie O'Brien anywhere near it either. Or Healy. Or Jack McGrath actually who has been playing massive rugby for a long time now. Or the way it's going andy Farrell or Stuart Lancaster either for that matter. Lancaster would be out of contract actually, but if he is going to stay here then it would be good to sign up and if so the lions is way too much of a sidetrack to be able to do your primary job well.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Ps: last 2 games of this year's 6 nations- wales (away) on the 10th and England (home) on the 18th. France at home 2 weeks before wales.