jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v New Zealand - Take Two

Post by jezzer »

My team (not Joe's )

15 Payne
14 Zebo
13 Ringrose
12 Henshaw (1st test should be forever known as the "Henshawshank Redemption")
11 Earls
10 Sexton
9 Murray

1 McGrath
2 Best
3 Furlong
4 Ryan
5 Toner
6 Stander
7 JVDF
8 Heaslip

16 Cronin
17 Healy
18 Bealham
19 Dillane
20 SOB
21 Marmion
22 Carbery
23 Kearney

Very tempted to chance POM or Henderson at 6, but Stander really put himself about. Would be harsh.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Stander and Heaslip really have worked brilliantly together, wouldn't dream of breaking them up. I didn't think Stander would even be a possibility at 6, never mind excelling there. I do like the idea of Heaslip being left out for Australia and playing POM and Stander together though.

I'm uneasy about SOB being on the bench. On balance I'd probably go for it but he really has been making a lot of stupid errors over the last month or so and I reckon that a fired up SOB trying to make a big impression in order to make up for missing the first NZ game might end up being more of a hindrance than a help. The penalty for hands in the ruck on Saturday after the ref had specifically told him to leave it was really annoying.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I actually thought Earls was fairly poor yesterday. Had some good moments but a lot of mistakes too so wouldn't even contemplate swapping himself and Ringrose.

Funny you mention Carbery covering centre because I was wondering who was pencilled in to cover 12 last week if Henshaw had to go off.
Earls will surely come into the 23 bench position. He didn't even trust Ringrose to come on for the last few minutes of the game. He also covers more positions.
Good man, keep it up.
What does that mean?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I actually thought Earls was fairly poor yesterday. Had some good moments but a lot of mistakes too so wouldn't even contemplate swapping himself and Ringrose.

Funny you mention Carbery covering centre because I was wondering who was pencilled in to cover 12 last week if Henshaw had to go off.
Earls will surely come into the 23 bench position. He didn't even trust Ringrose to come on for the last few minutes of the game. He also covers more positions.
You think he rested him (along with 14 others) the week before Chicago and left guys like Luke Marshall and TOH (I know he wasnt in the original squad) in Ireland but didn't trust him? I don't think that was it, he was clearly pencilled in for the 23 very early on.
I said 'trust him to come on for the last few minutes of the game'. Not 'he doesn't trust him'. They're pretty different things. If it had been Marshall or TOH on the bench, they wouldn't have come on either. Same happened to Marmion.

He was never going to throw inexperienced players into the fray in the last few minutes given the Jack McGrath experience in 13. Earls gives you ~50 caps worth of experience - Ireland / Lions caps at 11, 13,14 & 15. I can imagine him starting Ringrose, but I just don't think he makes a good 23.

They have done a sh!t load of specific drills for the last three years to deal with the high intensity final minutes of a game. That All Blacks game was a game changer. Example: They apparently now do a drill at the end of each of the most rigorous training days where the first team has to defend for 3.5 minutes against a fully fresh reserve team. If there is a line break, the 3.5 minutes start again.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:
They have done a sh!t load of specific drills for the last three years to deal with the high intensity final minutes of a game. That All Blacks game was a game changer. Example: They apparently now do a drill at the end of each of the most rigorous training days where the first team has to defend for 3.5 minutes against a fully fresh reserve team. If there is a line break, the 3.5 minutes start again.
Jaysus that's tough! Brilliant stuff.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Three minutes and 40 seconds to be precise.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:
I said 'trust him to come on for the last few minutes of the game'. Not 'he doesn't trust him'. They're pretty different things. If it had been Marshall or TOH on the bench, they wouldn't have come on either. Same happened to Marmion.

He was never going to throw inexperienced players into the fray in the last few minutes given the Jack McGrath experience in 13. Earls gives you ~50 caps worth of experience - Ireland / Lions caps at 11, 13,14 & 15. I can imagine him starting Ringrose, but I just don't think he makes a good 23.

Are they different things? Not sure about that. I just saw it that he didn't feel the need to make changes. We needed them up front and when Sexton was injured but other than that he was happy with how we were going and didn't feel the need to make changes. I don't really get why he didn't make the final subs in the last couple of minutes but the game was over at that stage so don't think it had anything to do with trust.

I know the game a few weeks ago was a bit of a one off but with all of Earls' experience he got himself sent off 20 minutes into that game and made some fairly basic errors on Saturday, just don't see what he's done to force his way in. Like I said, the versatility element makes sense but like Simon said I'd rather have Ringrose covering the wing than Earls covering centre. Earls being picked would probably also mean that Payne was playing in the centre and he could cover fullback, although I appreciate that Joe doesn't like to move people around.

That's great about the drills. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

CiaranIrl wrote: They have done a sh!t load of specific drills for the last three years to deal with the high intensity final minutes of a game. That All Blacks game was a game changer. Example: They apparently now do a drill at the end of each of the most rigorous training days where the first team has to defend for 3.5 minutes against a fully fresh reserve team. If there is a line break, the 3.5 minutes start again.
How are the reserve team fully fresh? Surely they're also taking part in the rigorous training days, no?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Jaysus that's tough! Brilliant stuff.
Brian Cody like.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The kiwi's were 33-1 on for the first game. This time PP have them as 8-1 on with a 16 point spread. Anyone like to make a prediction with that in mind?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

33-1 seems ludicrously long odds given the nature of some recent encounters.

8-1 seems reasonable enough - they will be less weakened than they were personnel wise and we won't be much different.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

16 points is a lot though I quite fancy that.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

15. Ben Smith
14. Israel Dagg
13. Malachi Fekitoa
12. Anton Leinart Brown
11. Julian Savea
10. Beauden Barrett
9. Aaron Smith
1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Liam Squire
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (capt)

Replacements
16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. T.J. Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Waisake Naholo
Last edited by simonokeeffe on November 17th, 2016, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:15. Ben Smith
14. Israel Dagg
13. Malachi Fekitoa
12. Anton Leinart Brown
11. Julian Savea
10. Beauden Barrett

1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Liam Squire
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (capt)

Replacements
16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. T.J. Perenara
22. Aaron Cruden
23. Waisake Naholo
GULP!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I see Kano is copping the blame for the loss. Was hoping they'd be missing 1 of the second row.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Battle of the coaches part three.
Ireland with use the same game plan more or less.
So will Joe have any surprises?
Joe must use his bench sooner.
NZ will be better up front with a restored SR.
If Ireland can dominate possession again then it's going to be tight.
If NZ get even 40% possession they'll win.
We no longer have the advantage of surprise either.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Really looking forward to this game. This game will be the measure of where the team are really at. It will prove if we did indeed catch the all blacks napping, or if we beat them on merit.

The great thing about a 2 test tour, is that we get a chance to prove that Chicago was not a fluke, we get a chance to show the world that we can back up a performance.

The last two weeks has been filled with reading comments how the all blacks didn't give Ireland enough respect, that the all blacks didn't show up.
We will hopefully show them that we didn't allow them to show up.

Come on Ireland.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:I see Kano is copping the blame for the loss. Was hoping they'd be missing 1 of the second row.
Wouldn't have kept Squire tbh.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes they did us a favour there. Perhaps Whitelock isn't fully fit either?

Straws anyone?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:Yes they did us a favour there. Perhaps Whitelock isn't fully fit either?

Straws anyone?
We've never lost to New Zealand having just beaten them so history is on out side.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles