Ireland v New Zealand - Take Two

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland v New Zealand - Take Two

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
johng wrote:Yes they did us a favour there. Perhaps Whitelock isn't fully fit either?

Straws anyone?
We've never lost to New Zealand having just beaten them so history is on out side.
Craberry and Marmion have a 100% record against them

would have a worry about Bealham when he comes on, his one trick is 45 degree bore in, he gets denied that hes in trouble, easier to do with a small hooker like McCartney

hopefully Moody will have yellow card fever again
surprised Smith didnt get the chop but theyve gone for 2 fullbacks to counter our kicking game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Second international covered on legitimate source in USA. ESPN 3!!
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

What time is the team announcement? is it streamed IRFU site?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

DartVader wrote:What time is the team announcement? is it streamed IRFU site?
Murray Kinsella just tweeted its pushed back (as is now tradition) from traditional 1 45pm to 2 15pm

Nothing on the site about it being streamed but theyre bad for not streaming it or promoting it these days
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
paddyor wrote:
johng wrote:Yes they did us a favour there. Perhaps Whitelock isn't fully fit either?

Straws anyone?
We've never lost to New Zealand having just beaten them so history is on out side.
Craberry and Marmion have a 100% record against them
To be fair Marmion doesn't really as he didn't get to play against them and nor did Garry Ringrose.

But we do have 9 current internationals who have a 100% record against them:
  • Finlay Bealham
    Joey Carbery
    Ultan Dillane
    Tadhg Furlong
    Robbie Henshaw
    Jordi Murphy
    Jared Payne
    CJ Stander
    Josh van der Flier
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I have been bested
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Does Rory Best's wife know?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Henderson and Jackson in. O'Brien only change in the 15
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So Dillane and Carbury miss out.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Bit of a sore knee for @Ultan_Dillane & dead leg for @KEITHEARLS87 but should be good for next week #TeamOfUs
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Usually I'd be salivating at a backrow of Stander, Heaslip and SOB but I think I'd have preferred if JVDF had got the nod. POM is also apparently carrying a knock although I have no idea how serious or if it ruled him out of contention. SOB needs a big game though. There is serious competition for his spot and VDF has arguably being the in form player. That said Stander, Heaslip and SOB are all big ball carriers and Henderson on the bench is no slouch either. It gives us options at breaking and makes it more difficult for teams to defend against as all three are capable of breaking the line.
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

The most impressive looking Irish bench I remember seeing in a long time
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Steve Hansen says the Kiwi's are underdogs. Ha I've heard some b*%&!x in my time but that......
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

johng wrote:So Dillane and Carbury miss out.
I think Dillane is particularly unlucky.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

offshorerules wrote:Steve Hansen says the Kiwi's are underdogs. Ha I've heard some b*%&!x in my time but that......
Schmidt said:
"I don’t think he should become a bookmaker, I think we’re about 6/1"
Dont Panic!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

John O'Sullivan had an interesting piece in the IT (I know, right?), theorising that new Zealand were practicing their boring side against Italy for the game against Ireland.

Not sure if true, but when you see the non selection of Perenara again, Nadolo being dropped,,basically a kicking and contesting back three.... Makes you wonder if they'll play for territory and use short kicks behind to slow our blitz down...

Whatever the result, we have their attention and their respect.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I think having a fully fit and raring to go Tank is a big plus on a fortnight ago. I also think his selection will make them think a bit. So I'm definitely betting against the spread on this one. 16 points? No way.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Joe and his fellow Coaches are the only ones who a) know exactly how fit everyone is, and b) what they want from the Players tactically.

Bringing in SO'B is the big call. Leaving Earls, Dillane and PO'M off the bench is attributed to each carrying knocks and if they couldn't train this week, they were never getting in. Paddy J earned his bench slot during the Summer and confirmed it last Sat against Canada and with the DG against Exeter.

Leaving Ringrose on the bench is another positive statement re Game Plan.

This will be very difficult. Their motivation will be huge and we need a very noisy crowd to somewhat offset that. We pressured them to a below-par performance in Chicago, we must repeat that, but probably in a different manner. NZ can still be the best rugby team in the world, if allowed to demonstrate their skills. If we beat them, we won't become the best team in the world, just the country who beat them twice in a row.

Tough, tough. As Mal O'Kelly pointed out, our motivationmust be about performance not result. Attack, tackle, concentrate and then go again. Big task, unlikely but possible!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Joe and his fellow Coaches are the only ones who a) know exactly how fit everyone is, and b) what they want from the Players tactically.

Bringing in SO'B is the big call. Leaving Earls, Dillane and PO'M off the bench is attributed to each carrying knocks and if they couldn't train this week, they were never getting in. Paddy J earned his bench slot during the Summer and confirmed it last Sat against Canada and with the DG against Exeter.

This will be very difficult. Their motivation will be huge and we need a very noisy crowd to somewhat offset that. We pressured them to a below-par performance in Chicago, we must repeat that, but probably in a different manner. NZ can still be the best rugby team in the world, if allowed to demonstrate their skills. If we beat them, we won't become the best team in the world, just the country who beat them twice in a row.

Tough, tough. As Mal O'Kelly pointed out, our motivationmust be about performance not result. Attack, tackle, concentrate and then go again. Big task, unlikely but possible!
NZ players were often quoted as stating that their biggest motivation when playing against Ireland was the fear of being the first NZ team to lose a Test match against us.
I think our players will be motivated by a similar fear. The fear of being trounced by NZ and the Chicago result being seen as simply a fluke.
It's going to be tough alright.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Oldschool wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Joe and his fellow Coaches are the only ones who a) know exactly how fit everyone is, and b) what they want from the Players tactically.

NZ players were often quoted as stating that their biggest motivation when playing against Ireland was the fear of being the first NZ team to lose a Test match against us.
I think our players will be motivated by a similar fear. The fear of being trounced by NZ and the Chicago result being seen as simply a fluke.
It's going to be tough alright.
Excellent point OS.