Ireland v New Zealand - Take Two

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: Ireland v New Zealand - Take Two

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Conor Murray said before the first game: they aren't unbeatable. We know our attacking game can give them problems.

It was true and there's nothing from the first game to change the minds of the players. People said Ireland took every single chance they got, I'm not so sure about that. I thought the ref got a touch protective of New Zealand when he thought they might actually get beaten here. Even on the tries, for the first one the maul was being defended completely illegally. For stander's try, that was going to be scored in the other corner with the numbers they'd tied in. For Murray's try really that could have been scored on the previous phase only sexton got (just) scragged - that attack had two seperate moments in quick succession where they completely took apart the New Zealand defensive structure. Even on Henshaw and Zebo's they were so justifiably worried about being mauled or scrummed over the line that they were slow to break off into defence.

But that's the battleground for the second game - can New Zealand's defence stop Ireland's attack? The kiwis will be looking to hit 35 points plus and they will be hard to stop doing so. They will be defensively better. New Zeland were really proud of their defensive effort at the World Cup. Being able to keep it tight when they needed to meant they could largely control those last 2 matches. It's a good defence, but Schmidt and the players' skill, intelligence and raw desire has them tested more than any other team has been able to (more than once). A large part of defence is mindset and theirs will be better this week but the options Ireland have to attack them and the way they did so just 2 weeks ago suggests a tough fix for the kiwis. It could be a good old fashioned toe-to-toe slugfest here. Both teams can punch you in the face or the stomach. And as we know from 2013 they can kick you in the stones too.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Conor Murray said before the first game: they aren't unbeatable. We know our attacking game can give them problems.

It was true and there's nothing from the first game to change the minds of the players. People said Ireland took every single chance they got, I'm not so sure about that. I thought the ref got a touch protective of New Zealand when he thought they might actually get beaten here. Even on the tries, for the first one the maul was being defended completely illegally. For stander's try, that was going to be scored in the other corner with the numbers they'd tied in. For Murray's try really that could have been scored on the previous phase only sexton got (just) scragged - that attack had two seperate moments in quick succession where they completely took apart the New Zealand defensive structure. Even on Henshaw and Zebo's they were so justifiably worried about being mauled or scrummed over the line that they were slow to break off into defence.

But that's the battleground for the second game - can New Zealand's defence stop Ireland's attack? The kiwis will be looking to hit 35 points plus and they will be hard to stop doing so. They will be defensively better. New Zeland were really proud of their defensive effort at the World Cup. Being able to keep it tight when they needed to meant they could largely control those last 2 matches. It's a good defence, but Schmidt and the players' skill, intelligence and raw desire has them tested more than any other team has been able to (more than once). A large part of defence is mindset and theirs will be better this week but the options Ireland have to attack them and the way they did so just 2 weeks ago suggests a tough fix for the kiwis. It could be a good old fashioned toe-to-toe slugfest here. Both teams can punch you in the face or the stomach. And as we know from 2013 they can kick you in the stones too.
Essentially, I agree. We should be expecting to beat them. We defeated them well in a neutral venue and while they'll be eager for revenge, they were never too easy going about any match in any case.

They may be stronger- but so are we. With Henderson, Healy, VdeF, Cronin and co coming on with 60 to 15 remaining, we have options. I'm (perhaps ridiculously) optimistic of at least being in the game until the end- and secretly of doing the impossible and beating them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Yeah I think we have earned the right to be confident in what we can do. Joe's been doing a bit of saft talk this week about poking the bear. You get a gorilla off your back and then you poke a bear? No luck man! I'm not buying it from him. He's gotta be confident that the stuff he has put in place will at least stress them. More than that, he knows they will do well to not get cut up somewhere along the line.

I think he cannot be totally unhappy with his defence either. Dane Coles nailed what I would have considered a low percentage offload (even for him). It was a brilliant play you have to applaud, but I'll be happy to only concede brilliant tries. Ben Smith was in touch in my opinion and that was a very correctable mis-read by Zebo. The Barrett try was the only one where I'd be concerned and saying you can't be letting this happen or we are gonna get stuffed.

Slight concerns I would have would be that 1. Trimble will have a heavy workload. He needs to be really sharp - had a great effect the last day, but one or two close shaves will have them interested. They'll test the edge there and given they've two fullbacks in the back 3 they may put some ball behind our wing men too. 2. Just get henshaw to watch the high tackles. I think there was a further directive this week went out generally. His tackling has been so brilliantly aggressive and honest, but he is playing near to the edge and don't want to see him in the bin.

This can be done, but this New Zealand team are not over-hyped or overrated. They are superb and to defeat them in this match would be one of the great achievements in Irish sport. Last week already was, but to beat them at really full strength, with no ambush, at home, when kids and the casual watcher gets to see it would surpass even that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I definitely think the SOB selection is a psychological boost for us. As someone has said, it'll make them think a little bit more than VDF, particularly after all the plaudits Kaino et al gave SOB before the first test.

Sticking Stander wide and SOB midway out from a ruck to carry is a pretty tasty option, and with Cronin, Healy and Hendo to come on also we should be able to make linebreaks.

Two areas that will be fascinating are the lineout and our competitiveness in rucks.
The lineout has definitely swung back from Chicago, with them recalling the two second rows and us losing Jordi (who's a great jumper.
With the ruck, it'll be really interesting to see if we do like we did for a good bit in Chi, and not contest.
I don't think that's in SOB's nature, and so I wonder will Joe have him acting as a one man rucker for the 50-60 mins he's on.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Nobody has actually predicted we'll win today. Lot's of "Joe talk" about 'process and performance'.

I think Ireland will win, by less that 5 points with the last move of the game.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Not entertaining an Ireland win today. If we get one, amazing. Absolutely amazing.

But I see the NZ error count dropping radically. If they can score 4 tries with limited possession and high errors....

We therefore need to tighten up our defence but also be even better able to open an improved NZ defence.

It's a big ask. Mentally, i really don't think we could be in a better place. Skills and pace-wise, our side as selected is a bit behind theirs.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Well D Day has arrived. Hopefully we will show that Chicago was not a once off fluke.

The all blacks squad is stronger today, but imo so is the Irish.

Hopefully we see Ireland mark the anniversary off the great Lomu, it would be very poor not to.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

munster#1 wrote:Well D Day has arrived. Hopefully we will show that Chicago was not a once off fluke.

The all blacks squad is stronger today, but imo so is the Irish.

Hopefully we see Ireland mark the anniversary off the great Lomu, it would be very poor not to.
think we can take it as a given therell be a minutes silence or applause before the game
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ibane
Beginner

Post by Ibane »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Nobody has actually predicted we'll win today. Lot's of "Joe talk" about 'process and performance'.

I think Ireland will win, by less that 5 points with the last move of the game.
I think/hope our pack can stand up to them.
In the backs I'd be a bit worried still about Kearney as the last line of defence.
I have this image of him, in the background, looking up from the turf at an all black try.
Joe kept Sexton on about 10 minutes too long the last day, he looked completely knackered after 50 minutes,
maybe it would be better if Jackson got the whole second half.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Given the results NH v SH so far maybe NZ aren't as good as we/everyone thinks.
We'll know soon enough.
C'mon Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Kiwis look seriously pumped for this in the warm up.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Two complete bullshit calls so far. How the Henshaw shoulder charge wasn't a red let alone a yellow is boggling. And that try was clearly held up.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

How can you be penalised for carrying on your own maul? Corrupt refereeing.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Kearney getting punched right in front of the touch judge and nothing done about it!!!
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Quite fantastically cynical on the lead up to smiths yellow, we had a penalty so they committed about four more!

Can't see us living with this.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Kiwi Flanker killing the ball on a scrum going forward in the red zone, should have been a clear penalty try.
Anyone But New Zealand
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Should be yellow for Reid breaking bind.

Cant have the money machine lose twice to Ireland.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Should have been a yellow for the high tackle. Just how much foul play will they be allowed to get away with?
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

All blacks hooker just shoulder charged Jackson into touch.
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Took them a long time for that straightforward knock on. Just what kind of pressure are the officials under?