Let's Make The Foley '8' Stance a Tradition

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Let's Make The Foley '8' Stance a Tradition

Post by offshorerules »

There was a bit of criticism in the NZ media about the Haka they did, an ex player said it showed a lack of respect and they should have performed a different one. Here's a linkey http://www.the42.ie/craig-dowd-lashes-o ... 0-Nov2016/
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote:
A friend of mine working in the Aussie institute of sport told me that's how they recommended dealing with it (I guess that fits the campo narrative above) and they had looked at New Zealand and that they gave most of their penalties away in the early part of the game due to over-hyping. That was from the early 2000s mind you. I think the kiwis themselves use the haka better now than then.
I wonder how much it helps them now. Used to love it and it sounded great in Chicago but I definitely felt like it was more for show than anything else because of the version they used and how long it went on for. Might be wrong but just get the feeling that its meaning is diminishing.
it diminished out the door for me when the Welsh wanted it to be held before the anthems (I think) and the Kiwis lost their shite and did it in the changing rooms.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I actually thought that was great, whereas now I'd expect them to kick up a fuss for marketing reasons and not even contemplate doing it where it can't be seen.

Edit: I didn't agree with them having an issue with that btw, but thought that doing it in the dressing room having made that decision was cool.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I actually thought that was great, whereas now I'd expect them to kick up a fuss for marketing reasons and not even contemplate doing it where it can't be seen.

Edit: I didn't agree with them having an issue with that btw, but thought that doing it in the dressing room having made that decision was cool.
Yeah AIG and Adidas would go ape if it was pulled
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

backrower8 wrote:It obviously doesn't fly for this forum but I posted it somewhere else and got 15 likes for it to date. Thanks for the feedback. It seems that people think something would be nice but that the Foleyassiciation is not to be repeated for people here. Any other suggestions or do we do what everyone else does as infinitum? As a player I would want something more myself.
Wow you got a whole 15 likes on some social media shyte, well done, sure it has to be a tradition now so
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

No need for that waterboy.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

No need for what? He bigged up getting some likes on a different format as if this was justification for his makey uppy tradition. It's nonsense
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The personal abuse, but you knew that already.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

offshorerules wrote:Either way I'll be fascinated to see what response, if any, Ireland have to the haka this weekend.
I've heard tell that on completion of the Haka, Grace Jones will appear from within a cocoon formed of the Irish squad to deliver a rendition of Pull up to the Bumper, the team will then perform their choreographed response.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
A friend of mine working in the Aussie institute of sport told me that's how they recommended dealing with it (I guess that fits the campo narrative above) and they had looked at New Zealand and that they gave most of their penalties away in the early part of the game due to over-hyping. That was from the early 2000s mind you. I think the kiwis themselves use the haka better now than then.
I wonder how much it helps them now. Used to love it and it sounded great in Chicago but I definitely felt like it was more for show than anything else because of the version they used and how long it went on for. Might be wrong but just get the feeling that its meaning is diminishing.
it diminished out the door for me when the Welsh wanted it to be held before the anthems (I think) and the Kiwis lost their shite and did it in the changing rooms.
Hasn't been a squeak out of the locker doors since.
Daniel Sullivan
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Piri Weepu seemed to be big for them on the haka side of things, so maybe it's slipped a little, but ah man it's still great to watch and great for them. I don't think their heads were in just a perfect space last week, but they should be this week. I reckon you'll see a special pre-match and match this week out of them. Gonna be great occasion again.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Couldn't we do a bit of Riverdance or maybe the Seige of Ennis? That would suck the fight out the blacks for sure!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

offshorerules wrote:The personal abuse, but you knew that already.
No there wasn't
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Let's Make The Foley '8' Stance a Tradition

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: ... I posted it somewhere else and got 15 likes for it to date.
Well that's me back in my box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

backrower8 wrote:Folks let's campaign for Ireland to always line up in the 'Foley 8' stance when facing the Haka or any other prematch war dance.

Traditions have to start somewhere and this one started in the right place, for the right reasons and the right result. While honouring Axel is the starting point the No.8 resonates for lots of reasons.

It is a number at the heart of the team.

The 8 stance is also the symbol for infinity (when on its side) and infinite resolve, effort, teamwork all sit well with rugby.

It also looks good and works well with the dynamic of two units - forwards and backs united in their mission to resist and overcome the dancing opposition team.

Why not?
By any chance is your name Conor?

#keepthe8 #shouldertoshoulder
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Foley was representative of Munster rugby primarily.
Let Munster stand in a figure eight forever more if they wish/decide - that would indeed be a fitting tribute.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

...news just in...17 likes and counting...no boosting either...that's more than the number of rejections on here...and when I get EU funding THIS WILL WE REALLY BIG!! Get on board now while you still have the chance!! Remember Brexit & Trump. This would be easier to achieve and I have started my representations with the IRFU. #fact

BTW all traditions suck if you analyse them too much or reject them because it doesn't feel right when tapping away on a keyboard removed from a stadium....national anthems, shaking a head of State's hand, match mascots. So too marketing stuff...#teamofus #shouldertoshoulder #carrythemhome...the 8 stance started with Foley but people are getting hung up on that/him.

There is nothing wrong with his premature death being a perpetual inspiration for Irish teams facing the Haka or equivalent rituals becase of his very young age and most of all because he symbolised Ireland's place in the rugby world - being unbowed and successful over 'superior' forces/athletes.

It also doesn't mean that, God/god/Allah/Leonard Cohen forbid that as other rugby greats pass away prematurely/naturally, they can't also be represented in this new ritual of ours - think infinity connotations of the sideways 8 are poignant here.

And there is a need to be filled, a benefit to the team in those prematch minutes when you have to line up and be psychologically abused for the sake of them being allowed use a tribal tradition in a rugby environment that allows them an edge.

In that Haka moment the ABs are powerful, dominant and we/other passive nations are ladyboys. There is a rebalancing of power to be had from us doing something that says to the ABs when they are at full Haka throttle...we respect but resist your tradition. Even better if we can do something distinctive and unique to us...that no other nation does.

It is a great number/ shape two units, forwards and backs, linked and sending a signal back to a team that is promising to murder them and their families,slowly.

BTW there is nothing in this for me other than the royalties that my lawyers ensure will accrue to me at a rate of 0.5% of all ticket sales, TV deals and commercial rights secure by #theteamofus in respect of all matches started by a Haka-Ritual.

It is OK to change your mind on this forum. I will not judge you. But if you don't surrender to my campaign within 48 hours, I will use some of my newly acquired EU funding to expose you for the rugby pygmies that you are.

Persuasively yours.

Thank you for your support.

*feelingbetter
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Are you sure the #keepthe8 hashtag hasn't just attracted the support of some pro-lifers?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Today is the 1 year anniversary of Jonah Lomu's death. Maybe we should line up in an 11 formation? #imtakingthep1ss
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I've changed my mind, I no longer believe you to be a reasoned individual. I'm placing you in the batshitcrazy sector.
#properrugbybants
#itsoktochangeyourmind
Daniel Sullivan