Ireland v Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland v Australia

Post by wixfjord »

jezzer wrote:As much as I have a lot of respect for Jackson as a player (and he's a reliable goalkicker) I really think we need to challenge the gainline more if we want to win and Jackson just hasn't been doing that lately. It was always an issue of his and he seemed to iron it out, to take and give the ball flatter. Last year in the RWC warmups he was excellent at getting the backline on the front foot.

But for Ulster and Ireland he's back to being deep and lateral. It's a phase-killer, especially with a non-12 at 12 in Ringrose.

Carbery is young and he's not a reliable goalkicker. Kind of a big deal, I know. But we saw in the first NZ test that he's a bit special and his absolute forte is getting the backline up to the gainline and putting guys into holes instead of turning them into targets.

Hopefully, Paddy can refind that form, but I think it'll be a challenge for us. Against NZ, a few dinks might at least have checked the defence and let him sit in the armchair a bit more, but he didn't ask that question and we were very lateral as a backline. At least with Earls back in, we have some pace to go around the long way on the outside, but as a backline we can't expect to get around teams if we don't force them narrow - we just don't have the pace in this team for that.

Happy with the pack. Disappointed for Ryan.
This.
He was better in SA too, albeit with a lot of front foot ball against a less aggressive defense and with a kicker & bosher option outside him for most of it in Marshall.

We'll be relying a lot on quick rucks and big forward carries I feel, against a team that has a good bit more strike power in Speight, Kuridrani and Folau.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'd imagine that if Jackson was going deep either (a) Murray would take responsibility himself or (b) f**k him out of it and tell him to move up a bit. So not worried.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

I think both teams look strong and this could be a very entertaining high quality game with a proper referee Jerome Garces who will take the hard decisions if required.

Congrats to Rory Best on his 100th appearance he has been a superb player for Ireland. Lets hope we mark it with a win.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

sunshiner1 wrote:I'd imagine that if Jackson was going deep either (a) Murray would take responsibility himself or (b) f**k him out of it and tell him to move up a bit. So not worried.
Murray did neither last weekend. Even when Ireland were trying to work the ball up from their own half, Jackson was about 10 metres behind the gainline, receiving the ball
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jezzer wrote:As much as I have a lot of respect for Jackson as a player (and he's a reliable goalkicker) I really think we need to challenge the gainline more if we want to win and Jackson just hasn't been doing that lately. It was always an issue of his and he seemed to iron it out, to take and give the ball flatter. Last year in the RWC warmups he was excellent at getting the backline on the front foot.

But for Ulster and Ireland he's back to being deep and lateral. It's a phase-killer, especially with a non-12 at 12 in Ringrose.

Carbery is young and he's not a reliable goalkicker. Kind of a big deal, I know. But we saw in the first NZ test that he's a bit special and his absolute forte is getting the backline up to the gainline and putting guys into holes instead of turning them into targets.

Hopefully, Paddy can refind that form, but I think it'll be a challenge for us. Against NZ, a few dinks might at least have checked the defence and let him sit in the armchair a bit more, but he didn't ask that question and we were very lateral as a backline. At least with Earls back in, we have some pace to go around the long way on the outside, but as a backline we can't expect to get around teams if we don't force them narrow - we just don't have the pace in this team for that.

Happy with the pack. Disappointed for Ryan.
WRT Jackson, I think he takes it to the line with confidence when he has some pacey hugeness at IC. Even with Marshal Vs Canada he had Marshall who's been plying his trade now at OC and he sat so far back that it left Marshall to close to Jackson to be able to have any pace when he got the ball and defender.
Think he'll do the same with Ringer
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Paddy J had never played with Ringrose as 1st centre until 20 minutes into a match against NZ, pretty difficult to get your depth perfect in those circumstances
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Am I correct in saying that this will be Rory Best's 100th cap? If so well done sir! :)
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Yeah - I am delighted for Best. Well deserved and has always given 100% for Ireland. Congratulations Rory.
Four Stars
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Anyone know how serious the knocks payne and sob are carrying? Must be serious enough to miss captain's run. Massive loss if one or both miss out! With sexton and henshaw already out then losing sob and payne will make Australia favourites imo.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

carlow man wrote:Anyone know how serious the knocks payne and sob are carrying? Must be serious enough to miss captain's run. Massive loss if one or both miss out! With sexton and henshaw already out then losing sob and payne will make Australia favourites imo.
Missing the captain's run doesn't necessarily mean anything serious. I mean, there could be something wrong, but missing the captain's run isn't a reason to worry. O'Brien is permanently carrying a 'niggle'.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeh your right there. Maybe 3 games in 3 weeks is too much for him after not playing since world cup. He looked off the pace for leinster which made his performance against new zealand even more impressive!! Hope he's good to go and it's just giving him another day of resting up as pocock and hooper will be hoping he misses out.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeh your right there. Maybe 3 games in 3 weeks is too much for him after not playing since world cup. He looked off the pace for leinster which made his performance against new zealand even more impressive!! Hope he's good to go and it's just giving him another day of resting up as pocock and hooper will be hoping he misses out.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Twist wrote:I'm getting a bit of a RWC2015 feeling about this match. It's a one week turnaround after a brutally physical match, injury enforced changes and you have to think a fair amount of exhaustion for the players still standing. And we're coming up against a team on a bit of a mission who rested a lot of players last week. I don't like where this is going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess they'll be using this as a decent barometer of progress from one year ago. If we take this to be like a quarter final?
The back end of the 6 nations will be similarish too: France home, week off, Wales away, Engkand home. Gonna need that 3 deep squad.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

carlow man wrote:Yeh your right there. Maybe 3 games in 3 weeks is too much for him after not playing since world cup. He looked off the pace for leinster which made his performance against new zealand even more impressive!! Hope he's good to go and it's just giving him another day of resting up as pocock and hooper will be hoping he misses out.
Aaaand ... Maybe just ignore what I was saying there. Seems O'Brien is ruled out.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

How you know that?
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Balls.ie reporting sob is definitely ruled out. Vdf to start at 7. Pom on bench.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Do not waaaaaaaaaaaaant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

For anyone interested, theres a few tickets up on ticketmaster, 110 a pop though
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I've 2 also. 70 bucks each
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

WOC also saying SOB out

silver lining is better hes out now than 20 minutes in
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon