Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Six Nations 2017 - Other teams

Post by simonokeeffe »

dropkick wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I would have said England's strength is in their pack

Ben Young's dummies have to have been clocked by now
Ford has been erratic at 10, they move Farrell there theyre back to the problem of having no 12's, Brown never passes, and their backs and forwards dont combine well from broken play

Their pack is their main strength but they are more free scoring than Ireland are.
At risk of a circular argument their pack sets that up IMO, they do have some mercurial running threats especially at halfback when the right platform is laid on for them
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

simonokeeffe wrote:
dropkick wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:I would have said England's strength is in their pack

Ben Young's dummies have to have been clocked by now
Ford has been erratic at 10, they move Farrell there theyre back to the problem of having no 12's, Brown never passes, and their backs and forwards dont combine well from broken play

Their pack is their main strength but they are more free scoring than Ireland are.
At risk of a circular argument their pack sets that up IMO, they do have some mercurial running threats especially at halfback when the right platform is laid on for them

You're correct. I should have clarified that I was comparing them to Ireland. With 50/50 ball England have more chance of scoring. They've more finishers in their backline. Thats assuming Schmidt keeps picking Kearney, Trimble and Payne at 13.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I have a feeling come 6n itll be Henshaw-Ringrose-Payne 12-13-15

Ringrose has looked good (out of position) and hopefully theyll combine btter and better for Leinster plus Payne will probably keep playing 15 for Ulster
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I've finally come round to the view that Zeebs has bought into the Joe philosophy. On that basis I'd be more than happy to see Henshaw - Payne / Ringrose - Zebo at 12 - 13 - 15 with Trimble / Adi and Earls / Healy on the wings.

The glass is now more than half-full and there are games Joe can afford to take the risk of more adventure in search of necessary experience. That will not necessarily mean the end of Robert K, only that his game will have to show more ambition to stay in the hunt. Can he do that? I'm betting he can.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:I have a feeling come 6n itll be Henshaw-Ringrose-Payne 12-13-15

Ringrose has looked good (out of position) and hopefully theyll combine btter and better for Leinster plus Payne will probably keep playing 15 for Ulster
Yeah, Payne was nailed on at 13 until we had an alternative that Schmidt rated. We now have. Ringrose was sure to get some game time in the 6n at 13 but, form continuing and barring injuries, it looks likely he'll have significant time there now.

And if Payne is then free to move to his better position I can't see Kearney's services being needed.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:I have a feeling come 6n itll be Henshaw-Ringrose-Payne 12-13-15

You've had the same feeling every six months since what, 2012?!

The Six Nations 12-13-15, fitness permitting, will be Henshaw, Payne, Kearney.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:

You've had the same feeling every six months since what, 2012?!

The Six Nations 12-13-15, fitness permitting, will be Henshaw, Payne, Kearney.
:P

yeah yeah I said the same thing before the AIs

difference now is Ringrose has played and prospered and weve 4 more rounds of HC rugby for that partnership to blossom
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Ruckedtobits wrote:I've finally come round to the view that Zeebs has bought into the Joe philosophy. On that basis I'd be more than happy to see Henshaw - Payne / Ringrose - Zebo at 12 - 13 - 15 with Trimble / Adi and Earls / Healy on the wings.

The glass is now more than half-full and there are games Joe can afford to take the risk of more adventure in search of necessary experience. That will not necessarily mean the end of Robert K, only that his game will have to show more ambition to stay in the hunt. Can he do that? I'm betting he can.
Fair enough if it was a couple of months, but it's been years since he's shown ambition in attack (with the exception of the Chicago game where he seemed as surprised as anyone else that he made a line break). I wouldn't count on him getting it back
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Morf wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:from what Ive read from pundits/explyers/journalists Noves does next to zero of any actual coaching and hasnt for quite some time
It didn't really do much to diminish Fergie's reputation for the last decade or more not doing any coaching though . . . .
tbf Fergie used more French players

MDR! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Payne out for at least 3 rounds of 6n so I may be half right
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:Payne out for at least 3 rounds of 6n so I may be half right
That could be bad news for RK.
If Henshaw and Ringrose establish themselves as "the" centre partnership then the temptation to move Payne to 15 would be very strong.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Payne out for at least 3 rounds of 6n so I may be half right
That could be bad news for RK.
If Henshaw and Ringrose establish themselves as "the" centre partnership then the temptation to move Payne to 15 would be very strong.
Thats true

Zebo may be eyeing that shirt too but that would be more of a surprise if it came to fruition
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Bare in mind that Zebo was dropped for the last game

I'd love to see

Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Ringrose
Trimble/Zebo/Earls

with Payne to go to 15 and Zebo to wing when fit
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ah he was injured/couldnt train
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Golf Man wrote:Bare in mind that Zebo was dropped for the last game

I'd love to see

Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Ringrose
Trimble/Zebo/Earls

with Payne to go to 15 and Zebo to wing when fit
Definitely agree with that. When Payne fit Trimble could lose out if Earls & Zebo can maintain standards. Adam Byrne could go close too.

Ringrose and Huw Jones of Scotland to be best newcomers of 2017 Six Nations.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Don't think "dropped to the bench" is the same as dropped. Schmidt regularly deems players suitable for the bench but not to start when they haven't done all the training.

Obviously there are Seán O'Briens, Brian O'Driscolls and Mike Rosses that he saw fit to start if available at all.

He plays Earls when fit every time, he didn't play Zebo a couple of times when he started out but does now and I would think that dealing from a full deck he would start. Maybe I'm extrapolating too much but that's how I see it.