The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
suisse wrote:Indeed. But I agree with what ROG said. Unless there is some sort of rule change fans might stop turning up.
Ireland fans didn't stop turning up after getting boned by terrible refereeing mistakes so I don't see this happening.

On the BBC highlights show last night with POC, Guscott and Jonathan Davies, the point made was if Italy had tried that against New Zealand, NZ would have adapted to it in an instance and blown Italy off the park. It's not Italys fault, or the fault of the laws, if Englands players on the pitch are too pig ignorant to work out how to combat the tactic (pick and drive) and the coaches are too stubborn to get an instruction on the park to work against it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39098514 if you can see it.
NZ would have treated it as a turnover situation and played their normal game.
Simple picking and going or breaking by sh would seem to the solution.
England set up a few mauls I think but it looked cumbersome
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

kermischocolate wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Here's a Murray Kinsella article that we all talked about here from 2 years ago with video analysis.
http://www.the42.ie/analysis-chiefs-sup ... 7-Mar2015/

Frankly it was worth it for the look of sheer concentrated stupid on Dylan Hartley's face when he was talking to Poite.

Eddie Jones is the Jose Mourinho of rugby. Some people like that kind of thing. I don't. But it was funny when he was whining that following the law of rugby union isn't rugby.
Absolutely this.

We're only talking about it because it took England so long to work out what was going on.
Credit where it's due to Italy.
And also discredit where it is due: the English coaching team. The excuse regularly given in the papers for behaviour of coaches like Jones and Mourinho is it distracts attention and deflects blame from the players and makes the conversation about the coach. Which apparently is a good thing. This was a coaching failure, a really high profile and embarrassing one for Eddie. I didn't see him taking on the blame after the match. He messed up. His players were ill prepared.

Personally I just think he should be mercilessly mocked for it. See how his legendary Bantz stands up to it.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

fourthirtythree wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Here's a Murray Kinsella article that we all talked about here from 2 years ago with video analysis.
http://www.the42.ie/analysis-chiefs-sup ... 7-Mar2015/

Frankly it was worth it for the look of sheer concentrated stupid on Dylan Hartley's face when he was talking to Poite.

Eddie Jones is the Jose Mourinho of rugby. Some people like that kind of thing. I don't. But it was funny when he was whining that following the law of rugby union isn't rugby.
Absolutely this.

We're only talking about it because it took England so long to work out what was going on.
Credit where it's due to Italy.
And also discredit where it is due: the English coaching team. The excuse regularly given in the papers for behaviour of coaches like Jones and Mourinho is it distracts attention and deflects blame from the players and makes the conversation about the coach. Which apparently is a good thing. This was a coaching failure, a really high profile and embarrassing one for Eddie. I didn't see him taking on the blame after the match. He messed up. His players were ill prepared.

Personally I just think he should be mercilessly mocked for it. See how his legendary Bantz stands up to it.
Next time they are interviewing him they should start circling around him.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Given what I've read in the Torygraph and Grauniad I don't see any desire to expose Jones for his own incompetence. Rather they have circled the wagons and said "it's not cricket".

As I've said before rugby coverage in many jurisdictions is official propaganda.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

They are right. It is not cricket.... it is rugby. I have no issue with what the Italians did. The laws are there and they found a way to work the law just like our choke tackle. I would agree that if that was the way the game was played it would put people off but I do not see that happening.

As said here the issue was not the Italian tactic but the lack of a response from england. I think that the whining is silly and they should just move on and focus on the next match. There is no need to change any rules there is only a need to educate your plays to play rugby.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The more I have focussed on the results we need for this 6N, the more I am convinced of how unfair is the scoring system.

Given the inevitable imbalance in home / away fixtures, I believe the try bonus point structure should be amended as follows:

Try Bonus (Home team): 4 tries and at least four tries more than opponents
Try Bonus (Away team): 4 tries, regardless of number scored by opponents.

Try bonus point would become more difficult for Home team but remain the same for Away team. This should even up the 3/2 home advantage some teams enjoy each year.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The more I have focussed on the results we need for this 6N, the more I am convinced of how unfair is the scoring system.

Given the inevitable imbalance in home / away fixtures, I believe the try bonus point structure should be amended as follows:

Try bonus point would become more difficult for Home team but remain the same for Away team. This should even up the 3/2 home advantage some teams enjoy each year.
That makes a lot of sense actually.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The more I have focussed on the results we need for this 6N, the more I am convinced of how unfair is the scoring system.

That makes a lot of sense actually.
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

But then if Italy or even Scotland (v anyone other than Italy) got 4 tries at home they wouldnt get a bonus point even though itd be merited

For me the advantage of home games re bonus points applied and still applies to points difference
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Another potential change would be to get rid of them.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Reading Kitson today in the Guardian he makes the point 'all' Scotland have to do is win v Eng, win with a BP v Italy and sitting on 18 points 'potentially' enough to win the title. Ireland win last 2 (w/o TBPs) would also be on 18. That prompted me to check the 6N website for the 'rules' - not very informative. If teams are level on points what's the next determinant (points diff? head to head? etc). I may have missed it somewhere but it would be nice to have it explained in full on the 6N interweb

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/champions ... HqpfODU.97
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

desperado wrote:Reading Kitson today in the Guardian he makes the point 'all' Scotland have to do is win v Eng, win with a BP v Italy and sitting on 18 points 'potentially' enough to win the title. Ireland win last 2 (w/o TBPs) would also be on 18. That prompted me to check the 6N website for the 'rules' - not very informative. If teams are level on points what's the next determinant (points diff? head to head? etc). I may have missed it somewhere but it would be nice to have it explained in full on the 6N interweb

Points difference.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

cormac wrote:
desperado wrote:Reading Kitson today in the Guardian he makes the point 'all' Scotland have to do is win v Eng, win with a BP v Italy and sitting on 18 points 'potentially' enough to win the title. Ireland win last 2 (w/o TBPs) would also be on 18. That prompted me to check the 6N website for the 'rules' - not very informative. If teams are level on points what's the next determinant (points diff? head to head? etc). I may have missed it somewhere but it would be nice to have it explained in full on the 6N interweb

Points difference.
thanks... thought so.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If Scotland win the triple crown you'd expect them to be in the championship mix
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:If Scotland win the triple crown you'd expect them to be in the championship mix
Here's hoping!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:If Scotland win the triple crown you'd expect them to be in the championship mix
Here's hoping!
definitely

Theyd overhaul England easily on points difference, making up the 43 point + difference on us would be exciting
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Which is why they should have announced a new scheduling system at the same time. It wouldn't get rid of the 3/2 split, but at least every year the home and away fixtures would be decided on a rotational basis - maybe even with a skew to favour the sides that finished bottom the previous year.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

jezzer wrote:

Which is why they should have announced a new scheduling system at the same time. It wouldn't get rid of the 3/2 split, but at least every year the home and away fixtures would be decided on a rotational basis - maybe even with a skew to favour the sides that finished bottom the previous year.
Good point. Why are they the way they are now? Has it always been that way?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

simonokeeffe wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Here's hoping!
definitely

Theyd overhaul England easily on points difference, making up the 43 point + difference on us would be exciting
I'd like to think that Conor O'Shea would do us another favour here and ensure they don't catch us.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

kermischocolate wrote:
jezzer wrote:

Good point. Why are they the way they are now? Has it always been that way?
does reinforce status quo to have the current fixture system, plus IMO it slightly favours traditional powers

used to be that the same fixtures were always the same weekends, to make up an example Ireland and France always played first weekend etc, might be a carry over from that