The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:Oh and world rugby want to take one of the rest weeks out of 6n
Not surprised by this in an already packed calendar. It's a wonder it wasn't pushed for sooner.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:Jesus, its attritional enough as it is.
I know, they want 3 weeks on at start

Trying to figure out what the rationale is, might be to bring forward club finals to make summer touring squads stronger, but SH want those tours later
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
D4surfer wrote:Is Bowe still on a central contract which guarantees selection?
:D
Think its more a case Sweetnam is injured, possibly Connachts bad form hurting Adeoloken
Or that Bowe is exactly the kind of winger that Schmidt always picks. Powerful carrier with good yards after contact, hard worker, good defender, good in the air and does the basics well and constantly
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
D4surfer wrote:Is Bowe still on a central contract which guarantees selection?
:D
Think its more a case Sweetnam is injured, possibly Connachts bad form hurting Adeoloken
Or that Bowe is exactly the kind of winger that Schmidt always picks. Powerful carrier with good yards after contact, hard worker, good defender, good in the air and does the basics well and constantly
Did you copy and paste that from three years ago? :)

He has struggled massively with form for quite a while and cant get past Trimble in the Ulster side. Would take at least 2 of Trimble, Earls, and TOH to get him in a matchday squad
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:

He has struggled massively with form for quite a while and cant get past Trimble in the Ulster side. Would take at least 2 of Trimble, Earls, and TOH to get him in a matchday squad

No, from when you said that Rob Kearney was done for at International level and would be lucky to travel to the US for the New Zealand test last November, I just changed the names.

Joe Schmidts four first choice wingers are, in no particular order, Dave Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Simon Zebo and Andy Trimble.
I have Bumbleflex
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

No, from when you said that Rob Kearney was done for at International level and would be lucky to travel to the US for the New Zealand test last November, I just changed the names.

Joe Schmidts four first choice wingers are, in no particular order, Dave Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Simon Zebo and Andy Trimble.
Be that as it may, we have no idea how DK is going to be after he comes back from injury, Trimble seems to have lost whatever pace he had, my only recent sighting of TB was in the RDS on NYE, about which the less said the better. Zebo seems to be in the form of his life, leaving us down one winger as it stands.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Pace is probably the least important attribute to Joe when he considers the wing slots - power in contact, defense and aerial ability are his priorities, always have been.
I have Bumbleflex
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Power in contact
Aerial ability
Covering ability
Excellence
A proud Winsome Fluter
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Power in contact
Aerial ability
Covering ability
Excellence
Bowe had all of these a few years ago. Injuries have taken their toll and he's got no current form.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:Pace is probably the least important attribute to Joe when he considers the wing slots - power in contact, defense and aerial ability are his priorities, always have been.
Which is why we got killed by Argentina in the RWC. Interestingly Adam Byrne was named in Will Greenwood's Lions selection this week!!! Good to see Conway involved, he has worked his arse off and deserves inclusion in my opinion.

Our resources at outhalf are really concerning for this 6 Nations. Serious question marks about Sexton's health so despite the policy I'm surprised not to see Madigan involved.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

So who comes in if Sexton or Jackson get injured?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

jimbobjoe wrote:So who comes in if Sexton or Jackson get injured?
Scannell I presume.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

jimbobjoe wrote:So who comes in if Sexton or Jackson get injured?
I'm guessing that Madigan isn't available to train this week so he could get called up after the Top 14 games this weekend
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Pace is probably the least important attribute to Joe when he considers the wing slots - power in contact, defense and aerial ability are his priorities, always have been.
Which is why we got killed by Argentina in the RWC. Interestingly Adam Byrne was named in Will Greenwood's Lions selection this week!!! Good to see Conway involved, he has worked his arse off and deserves inclusion in my opinion.

Our resources at outhalf are really concerning for this 6 Nations. Serious question marks about Sexton's health so despite the policy I'm surprised not to see Madigan involved.
Or it's why we beat the All Blacks - that trick works both ways
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

That's a fair enough point but lack of pace out wide and at FB got us knocked out of the World Cup. The abiding memory of that match is of the Kearney brothers getting done for pace. I don't think any coach can ignore pace as a critical factor out wide but for years we've had to compensate for it because we simply didn't have it or the players who had it didn't have all the important factors Grumpy described - I'd add intelligence to that list too..... That's no longer the case in terms of the the players available and emerging so over the next year or two I think we may be able to have our cake and eat it!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Which is why we got killed by Argentina in the RWC. Interestingly Adam Byrne was named in Will Greenwood's Lions selection this week!!! Good to see Conway involved, he has worked his arse off and deserves inclusion in my opinion.

That's a fair enough point but lack of pace out wide and at FB got us knocked out of the World Cup. The abiding memory of that match is of the Kearney brothers getting done for pace. I don't think any coach can ignore pace as a critical factor out wide but for years we've had to compensate for it because we simply didn't have it or the players who had it didn't have all the important factors Grumpy described - I'd add intelligence to that list too..... That's no longer the case in terms of the the players available and emerging so over the next year or two I think we may be able to have our cake and eat it!

The world cup performances were bad because of the defensive system.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

On Rory Scannell. He was my motm against Racing. His left foot is a great weapon to have. Against Racing he was making twice the yardage of Bleyendaal when kicking the ball. In rugby being able to kick the ball long (as well as accurate) is an underrated talent. For instance there's a big difference having a lineout on 15m from the line to having one 5m from the line.

Scannell is also a good defender, good passer and stronger ball carrier than he looks.

Not sure he is a 10 but could fill in against Italy if it came down to it. Carbery should be back for the third match of the tournament.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I thought I heard Carbery was back training or did I imagine that?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

offshorerules wrote:I thought I heard Carbery was back training or did I imagine that?
There were definitely photos of him doing some work at training. Not sure if it's full contact yet though.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

At least Ringrose will be our starting this time :wink:

Fine servant but I'd wager dollars to doughnuts he wont get a minute on the pitch