Ireland Under 20 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland Under 20 2017

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Such a pity to lose all those players, really is a massive blow and I reckon we'd have done very well if even half of them were fit. Looking forward to seeing Tynan though, heard good things.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Possible team:

1. Joey Conway
2. Tadgh McElroy
3. Charlie Connolly
4. Fineen Whycherly
5. Oisin Dowling
6. Gavin Coombes
7. Paul Boyle
8. Caelan Doris
9. Jonny Stewart
10. Alan Tynan
11. Calvin Nash
12. Ciaran Frawley
13. Gavin Mullin
14. Colm Hogan
15. Jack Kelly

Altho apparently Doris/Kelly are struggling to be fit.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There is a lot of quality within that Squad and as we've seen previously, the players at this age are showing fast developing skills as they work in camp. Really hopeful that this group blossom in Georgia which is a great venue for this competition.

Go well fellas.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Junior World Cup seems to be only on Eir Sports :(
Dont Panic!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Dexter wrote:The Junior World Cup seems to be only on Eir Sports :(

I think it's on itv also. Would be nice if it was on TG4.

Eir sport is free if you're with Eircom but for some reason they use the outdated silverlight plugin which only the old windows explorer browser can run.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Ruckedtobits wrote:There is a lot of quality within that Squad and as we've seen previously, the players at this age are showing fast developing skills as they work in camp. Really hopeful that this group blossom in Georgia which is a great venue for this competition.

Go well fellas.
Rumour one of the players was removed from squad at the airport in front of all his team mates after he refused to commit to an academy that wasn't his home province? Anyone hear anything?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

dropkick wrote:

Eir sport is free if you're with Eircom but for some reason they use the outdated silverlight plugin which only the old windows explorer browser can run.
Silverlight workson Firefox too
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Armchair wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:There is a lot of quality within that Squad and as we've seen previously, the players at this age are showing fast developing skills as they work in camp. Really hopeful that this group blossom in Georgia which is a great venue for this competition.

Go well fellas.
Rumour one of the players was removed from squad at the airport in front of all his team mates after he refused to commit to an academy that wasn't his home province? Anyone hear anything?
Sounds fairly scooby dubious. Were there IRFU heavies dragging him off the plane while the player was screaming "f%~k you Nucifora, I'm never playing for Connacht"?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
BrockBoy
Beginner

Post by BrockBoy »

I heard from a clubmate Tadgh McElroy was not travelling because he signed with an English club over a provincial club. Doesn't really make sense but it's what I was told. The U19 hooker is travelling now.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

dropkick wrote:

I always completely forget about ITV! Anyway, had a look and seems to be highlights only, on ITV4 for an hour @ 11pm...but I also discovered that they're covering the French Open so happy days :D
Dont Panic!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

ITV showing the 2 SF and final live according to WR site. Otherwise just highlights. World Rugby streaming the games live, but you will have to use a web proxy thingy as Eir Sport will not allow the streaming from Ireland etc.

All info on WR site.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

jimbobjoe wrote:
dropkick wrote:

Silverlight workson Firefox too
They're not supporting it anymore. I was using that but they stopped it last month.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

neill_m wrote:ITV showing the 2 SF and final live according to WR site. Otherwise just highlights. World Rugby streaming the games live, but you will have to use a web proxy thingy as Eir Sport will not allow the streaming from Ireland etc.

All info on WR site.

A vpn for a month would do the job. :)
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

BrockBoy wrote:I heard from a clubmate Tadgh McElroy was not travelling because he signed with an English club over a provincial club. Doesn't really make sense but it's what I was told. The U19 hooker is travelling now.

Its him alright. The rumour is he has signed for Saracens.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

dropkick wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Silverlight workson Firefox too
They're not supporting it anymore. I was using that but they stopped it last month.
That's odd.. Sky uses silverlight and still works for me on firefox. It is amazing that anyone is still using it though. It's a horrible application.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Murray Kinsella confirming that McElroy was dropped "at the 11th hour" because of his impending move to Saracens. He says that there was an offer from Connacht and the IRFU basically said that he has to sign that or he was done. He also made a good point that this doesn't really tally with the initiative with Joe Lydon and Kevin Maggs.

I can't believe the IRFU would do that to a young guy like this. I reckon there's more to it but with the facts as they stand I think the union have acted disgracefully. I bet Conor Nash would be welcomed back with open arms...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Right call. Sounds like McElroy is angling to play for England, why develop a guy who's planning to do that?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Removing him from the squad after being named in it is very very harsh, not sure I've ever heard of it happening before, and wouldn't exactly make him eager to come back into the system in a few years. It's very short sighted but my main issue is just how a 19/20 year old kid has been treated, it's appalling.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Removing him from the squad after being named in it is very very harsh, not sure I've ever heard of it happening before, and wouldn't exactly make him eager to come back into the system in a few years. It's very short sighted but my main issue is just how a 19/20 year old kid has been treated, it's appalling.
Not if he made this decision after the squad was announced.
It's harsh, but he's English qualified and it sounds like he has made his mind up to try play for England. His call, but you can't expect the IRFU to bring feelings into it.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It's a pity we didn't offer him an academy place, hooker is a weak area academy wise (and looking like so even in the senior team).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!