Ireland Under 20 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

BrockBoy
Beginner

Re: Ireland Under 20 2017

Post by BrockBoy »

goreyguy wrote:John Foley is out due to injury and Tom De Jongh has been called up.

If McPhillips & Dean are injured and Johnston staying with Munster, Alan Tynan may get called up.
I was told other injury doubts included Gallagher, Coombes x 2 and Lyttle.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Looks like Nash won't be playing against Scotland, training with Munster today ahead of their game against Edinburgh
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Does anyone know if the 6N games will be shown by RTE? I think they have always shown the home and away games live in the past.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Yeah the 1st game is anyway
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Cillian Gallagher likely to start at 6. Doris at 8 and Boyle at 7 apparently.....2 players out of position but certainly a big back row. Oisin Dowling and Wycherley @ 2nd row.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

erskinechilders wrote:Looks like Nash won't be playing against Scotland, training with Munster today ahead of their game against Edinburgh
Big loss if he is not available has been in great form all season
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

El Diablo wrote:Does anyone know if the 6N games will be shown by RTE? I think they have always shown the home and away games live in the past.
http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listing ... n/#!fjjc6z
8.30 KO RTE 2. Preceded live by the womens international. Both being played in Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld...back to back.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwood_Stadium
Hopefully an entertaining start to a big weekend of rugby.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ireland u20 team:

Ireland u20 team:

1. Joey Conway(Munster/UL Bohs)
2. Tadgh McElroy(Leinster/Lansdowne)
3. Peter Cooper(Ulster/Belfast Harlequins)
4. Fineen Whycherly(Munster/Young Munster)
5. Oisin Dowling(Leinster/Lansdowne)
6. Cillian Gallagher(Connacht/Corinthians)
7. Paul Boyle(Leinster/Lansdowne)
8. Caelan Doris(Leinster/St. Marys)
9. Jonny Stewart(Ulster/Queens)
10. Johnny McPhillips(Ulster/Ballynahinch)
11. Colm Hogan(Munster/DUFC)
12. Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/UCD)
13. Gavin Mullin(Leinster/UCD)
14. Jordan Larmour(Leinster/St. Marys)
15. Jack Kelly(Leinster/DUFC)
16. Adam Moloney(Munster/Shannon)
17. Rory Mulvihill(Leinster/UCD)
18. Charlie Connolly(Leinster/DUFC)
19. Jack Regan(Leinster/UCD)
20. Marcus Rea(Ulster/Queens)
21. Jack Lyons(Munster/Young Munster)
22. Conor Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon)
23. Tommy O'Brien(Leinster/UCD)
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Obviously pleasing from a Leinster point of view that selection. Particularly in light of centres, right wing and fullback with Tommy O'Brien in the 23. Nice to see the academy churning out back 5 players.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:Ireland u20 team:

Ireland u20 team:

1. Joey Conway(Munster/UL Bohs)
2. Tadgh McElroy(Leinster/Lansdowne)
3. Peter Cooper(Ulster/Belfast Harlequins)
4. Fineen Whycherly(Munster/Young Munster)
5. Oisin Dowling(Leinster/Lansdowne)
6. Cillian Gallagher(Connacht/Corinthians)
7. Paul Boyle(Leinster/Lansdowne)
8. Caelan Doris(Leinster/St. Marys)
9. Jonny Stewart(Ulster/Queens)
10. Johnny McPhillips(Ulster/Ballynahinch)
11. Colm Hogan(Munster/DUFC)
12. Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/UCD)
13. Gavin Mullin(Leinster/UCD)
14. Jordan Larmour(Leinster/St. Marys)
15. Jack Kelly(Leinster/DUFC)
16. Adam Moloney(Munster/Shannon)
17. Rory Mulvihill(Leinster/UCD)
18. Charlie Connolly(Leinster/DUFC)
19. Jack Regan(Leinster/UCD)
20. Marcus Rea(Ulster/Queens)
21. Jack Lyons(Munster/Young Munster)
22. Conor Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon)
23. Tommy O'Brien(Leinster/UCD)
Frawley at 12 is a huge concern for me especially defensively from what I saw in trial matches he was extremely poor. Front row bench is also a concern and will be trouble for us if they get alot of game time as a unit. Would have O'Brien ahead of Frawley at 12
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Agreed on O'Brien over Frawley at 12.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

goreyguy wrote:Agreed on O'Brien over Frawley at 12.
I'm not sure how much more Tommy was expected to have done in order to claim a place on the team. Scoring for fun in the AIL and did extremely well in the trial matches I saw. He ripped the irish u20 defense apart playing for the Leinster selection in Donnybrook and then did a great job down in Thomand Pk against a more experienced Munster selection. Perhaps it is a tactical thing to have 2 first receivers but then again I have seen Tommy play outhalf a few times and he can do a job there as well. I would imagine it will fire him up and whenever he does get his chance he will be like a man possessed.
Gavin Mullin has done really well to get back fit so quickly and it allows Kelly play his best position. Exciting backline, big pack, scrumhalf is electric. The only concern would be lack of experience at this level. Will their discipline hold up under pressure? Looking forward to seeing how they go.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

El Diablo wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Agreed on O'Brien over Frawley at 12.
I'm not sure how much more Tommy was expected to have done in order to claim a place on the team. Scoring for fun in the AIL and did extremely well in the trial matches I saw. He ripped the irish u20 defense apart playing for the Leinster selection in Donnybrook and then did a great job down in Thomand Pk against a more experienced Munster selection. Perhaps it is a tactical thing to have 2 first receivers but then again I have seen Tommy play outhalf a few times and he can do a job there as well. I would imagine it will fire him up and whenever he does get his chance he will be like a man possessed.
Gavin Mullin has done really well to get back fit so quickly and it allows Kelly play his best position. Exciting backline, big pack, scrumhalf is electric. The only concern would be lack of experience at this level. Will their discipline hold up under pressure? Looking forward to seeing how they go.
McPhillips is not great either, at least based on what i've seen to date.

How will the scrum hold up is a big question, along with the breakdown.

O'Brien covers wing and both centre positions so maybe they want him to do that from the bench.

No idea why they named Kelleher in squad when he has been injured all season and is unavailable for this game.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Maybe Frawley is there to help out McPhillips. Frawley might be better at getting the backline moving while McPhillips might be a better kicker.

There'll be plenty of opportunities for the likes of Tommy O'Brien throughout the season and in his case, next season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

dropkick wrote:Maybe Frawley is there to help out McPhillips. Frawley might be better at getting the backline moving while McPhillips might be a better kicker.
I really hope that isn't the thought process they are following.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

dropkick wrote:Maybe Frawley is there to help out McPhillips. Frawley might be better at getting the backline moving while McPhillips might be a better kicker.

There'll be plenty of opportunities for the likes of Tommy O'Brien throughout the season and in his case, next season.

Interesting tactics.
People's view of McPhilops may be clouded by what he did as an U19 at this level last season. He has that experience at this level.
What you say might be right but I guess they feel McPhillips is the best outhalf. Looking forward to seeing the Munster half backs, both replacements and both sons of buddy's of mine, do their stuff.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Interesting tactics.
People's view of McPhilops may be clouded by what he did as an U19 at this level last season. He has that experience at this level.
What you say might be right but I guess they feel McPhillips is the best outhalf. Looking forward to seeing the Munster half backs, both replacements and both sons of buddy's of mine, do their stuff.
McPhillips is one of two players with any experience of this level so that may be another factor at play.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

I alluded to that fact. The most experienced outhalf in the squad and deserving of his place.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

I'll be interested to see how everyone goes, hope everyone performs well.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:I'll be interested to see how everyone goes, hope everyone performs well.
Yeah looking forward to it, hope they go well always good to get off to a winning start