Ireland Under 20 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: Ireland Under 20 2017

Post by All Blacks nil »

erskinechilders wrote:Saw this today, Jack Kelly is ridiculously explosive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0iJiFAq-I
Is he a good passer?
Can't tell from the video.
Seems to almost exclusively carry the ball in one hand. A bad habit which will need to be addressed
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

All Blacks nil wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:Saw this today, Jack Kelly is ridiculously explosive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0iJiFAq-I
Is he a good passer?
Can't tell from the video.
Seems to almost exclusively carry the ball in one hand. A bad habit which will need to be addressed
:lol:
thankfully he is between the ages of 15 and 18 in that video and isn't the finished product.

and that video doesn't cover his complete school career, just the more impressive parts.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

It's still a bad habit of which many dominant schoolboys are guilty.
Line breaks are crucial, but generally the line breaker does not score, especially as players move up the levels.
Once the break is made, distribution is key.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

All Blacks nil wrote:It's still a bad habit that many dominant schoolboys are guilty of.
Line breaks are crucial, but generally the line breaker does not score, especially as players move up the levels. Once the break is made, distribution is key.
yes and thankfully he has plenty of time to improve areas where he maybe weak at.

heaven forbid schoolboys aren't the finished product at 19.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Generally in those highlights videos you don't see passing. Its an important skill but not as spectacular for the fans as seeing someone running with the ball. On;y when players are promoting themselves do they put in other skills like passing, kicking and tackling.

Kelly looks a very impressive athlete from those clips. He isn't small, has speed, can step and has great balance. :clap:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

@ GoreyGuy

What's his best position, do you think - centre or fullback?

Seems redundant to play him at centre [from a Leinster point of view] when we have Ringrose and O'Loughlin on board.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

IIRC Brendan Macken was a similar beast in schools rugby. Sometimes the power advantages a good big lad in schools doesn't translate well when playing against the men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

hugonaut wrote:@ GoreyGuy

Seems redundant to play him at centre [from a Leinster point of view] when we have Ringrose and O'Loughlin on board.
Fullback for me.

Kelly has played 12/13 and 15 for Ireland underage teams.

Important to remember that Jordan Larmour is probably rated higher than Kelly, he did join the academy effectively straight from school, although he doesn't have as much position versatility.

Tommy O'Brien is another very promising back too, could end up at centre or on the wing.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:

Fullback for me.

Important to remember that Jordan Larmour is probably rated higher than Kelly, he did join the academy effectively straight from school, although he doesn't have as much position versatility.

Tommy O'Brien is another very promising back too, could end up at centre or on the wing.
Plenty rate Kelly higher including me but good to have both and not an issue hopefully Laarmour stays fit as has been injury prone. Would like to see yet another O'Brien stay at centre for now could be better than the other young lads coming thru
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Armchair wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Fullback for me.

Plenty rate Kelly higher including me but good to have both and not an issue hopefully Laarmour stays fit as has been injury prone. Would like to see yet another O'Brien stay at centre for now could be better than the other young lads coming thru
which is why i said probably rated higher.. both kelly and larmour have had serious knee injuries.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Are any of these matches on TV?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Hopefully all of them
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

How are the teams in this years competition rated and how is the rating arrived at?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Where's Tim Foley? Is he u19 or just hasn't made the squad?

Also when did Kelly suffer his knee injury? I noticed he was wearing strapping on it during the photo shoot!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Conor Dean out for at least the start of the 6N. Injured playing for Marys last weekend. Not sure if anyone called up. Tough on him. Hopefully make it back fr WC. He has next year too.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

erskinechilders wrote:Where's Tim Foley? Is he u19 or just hasn't made the squad?

Also when did Kelly suffer his knee injury? I noticed he was wearing strapping on it during the photo shoot!
Foley didnt make the squad.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

El Diablo wrote:Conor Dean out for at least the start of the 6N. Injured playing for Marys last weekend. Not sure if anyone called up. Tough on him. Hopefully make it back fr WC. He has next year too.
Wonder will they try Alan Tynan? ex Roscrea playing senior with Young Munster
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Armchair wrote:
El Diablo wrote:Conor Dean out for at least the start of the 6N. Injured playing for Marys last weekend. Not sure if anyone called up. Tough on him. Hopefully make it back fr WC. He has next year too.
Wonder will they try Alan Tynan? ex Roscrea playing senior with Young Munster
it will be Johnny McPhillips with Conor Fitzgerald on the bench.
BrockBoy
Beginner

Post by BrockBoy »

I was told McPhillips got injured in Thursdays session. Looking like Fitzgerald will be 10 and one can only assume Frawley will be his back up.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

John Foley is out due to injury and Tom De Jongh has been called up.

If McPhillips & Dean are injured and Johnston staying with Munster, Alan Tynan may get called up.