World Rugby XV 2016

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

World Rugby XV 2016

Postby Ruckedtobits » December 23rd, 2016, 6:04 pm

So who selected this collection of names and on what basis?

If it is supposed to reflect the entire year, and particularly to include the last month, they haven't been watching the same games as fans in the Northern Hemisphere.

In case you have not seen the list, these are the selected worthies:
15. Ben Smith; 14. Dagg; 13. Lienert-Brown; 12. Farrell; 11. Hogg;10. Barrett;
9. Perenara; 8. Vunipola; 7. Hooper; 6. Stander; 5. Itoje; 4. Retallick; 3. Furlong; 2. Best (Capt); 1. Vunipola.

The most significant mistake is the omission of Conor Murray as the best No 9 during 2016. Given that Perenara only got NZ shirt from Smith because of the latter's off-field indiscretions, this is a very one-eyed selection and even Ben Youngs, with a Grand Slam in his possession might feel he should get a mention.

To suggest that Farrell had a better year than Robbie Henshaw is madness. To argue that Farrell & Lienart-Brown were consistently better than Fofana, Hernadez, Payne or Henshaw defies analysis.

Delighted that Best was selected as Captain but consider that NZ Coles or Argentine Creevy, should had this jersey, with the latter as Captain. Furlong has clearly caught the imagination but big Argentinian Herrera might be a bit pissed off.

(Mind you Mr and Mrs Vunipola must be very proud, but I know which Irish front-row I believe should have been picked on merit.)

Finally, the selection of two full-backs for wingers shows just what a compromise this selection represents. Habana, Maye, Vakatawa, Nandolo were each serious contenders in their playing position of wing who would hand Hodd and Dagg a serious afternoon of concentration, at very least.

So Wales, Argentina, France, Samoa, Japan or Fiji hadn't a player worthy of selection. Not good enough and the wrong selection, probably by the wrong people.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby Logorrhea » December 23rd, 2016, 6:49 pm

Well ................. that's just your .................... opinion man.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3821
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby All Blacks nil » December 24th, 2016, 1:28 am

What does Farrell have to do to impress people?

This calendar year he played in all five games of an English GS, a three match away test series whitewash of Australia, Autumn international victories over Australia Argentina, South Africa and Fiji, led his club Saracens to an Aviva Premiership and their first European Cup and is this season part of a league leading and ERC group leading team including an away win at Toulon.

He collected Six Nations, Premiership, and European Cup medals and played 13 of England's (12 starts at first centre) 16 matches in an unbeaten year.

A mighty impressive 12 months in which he has been an integral part of those successes

It really is hard to make an argument for any other Northern Hemisphere centre in front of Farrell
All Blacks nil
Mullet
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: December 15th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby neilinboston » December 24th, 2016, 1:41 am

All Blacks nil wrote:What does Farrell have to do to impress people?

This calendar year he played in all five games of an English GS, a three match away test series whitewash of Australia, Autumn international victories over Australia Argentina, South Africa and Fiji, led his club Saracens to an Aviva Premiership and their first European Cup and is this season part of a league leading and ERC group leading team including an away win at Toulon.

He collected Six Nations, Premiership, and European Cup medals and played 13 of England's (12 starts at first centre) 16 matches in an unbeaten year.

A mighty impressive 12 months in which he has been an integral part of those successes

It really is hard to make an argument for any other Northern Hemisphere centre in front of Farrell

Garry Ringrose?
neilinboston
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 429
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Location: Boston

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby All Blacks nil » December 24th, 2016, 1:51 am

Gary Ringrose.
Showed great potential in his breakout season but again look at the consistency of Farrell's play and subsequent results since last January in rounds 5 and 6 of the European Cup. Grand Slam, Aviva Premiership, European Cup, whitewashing the Aussies 3-0, unbeaten 4match Autumn Series, top of the premiership and top of their pool in Europe.
His 2016 is a serious body of work in which every goal was achieved. Not a surprise to see 4 English Saracens included.

Remember this isn't who you think is or might be the better player in the future but is the team of this complete calendar year.
All Blacks nil
Mullet
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: December 15th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby simonokeeffe » December 24th, 2016, 8:59 am

If you wanted to nitpick Farrell played all those club games at 10 and like Hogg at 11 is a shoehorn
If they wanted to pick a 12 then Henshaw
If they wanted a winger then Haylett Petty

Problem is Australia and Boks had garbage seasons and Creevy never gets the love he deserves
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15267
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby Ruckedtobits » December 24th, 2016, 1:42 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:If you wanted to nitpick Farrell played all those club games at 10 and like Hogg at 11 is a shoehorn
If they wanted to pick a 12 then Henshaw
If they wanted a winger then Haylett Petty

Problem is Australia and Boks had garbage seasons and Creevy never gets the love he deserves


+1
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: World Rugby XV 2016

Postby neilinboston » December 24th, 2016, 3:49 pm

All Blacks nil wrote:Gary Ringrose.
Showed great potential in his breakout season but again look at the consistency of Farrell's play and subsequent results since last January in rounds 5 and 6 of the European Cup. Grand Slam, Aviva Premiership, European Cup, whitewashing the Aussies 3-0, unbeaten 4match Autumn Series, top of the premiership and top of their pool in Europe.
His 2016 is a serious body of work in which every goal was achieved. Not a surprise to see 4 English Saracens included.

Remember this isn't who you think is or might be the better player in the future but is the team of this complete calendar year.

Gotcha!
neilinboston
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 429
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Location: Boston


Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest