Backup Hooker for 6 Nations

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Who should wear 16 for Ireland during the 6 nations?

Tracy
11%
Scannell
57%
Herring
2%
Strauss
21%
CJ Stander
9%

Total votes: 47

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Backup Hooker for 6 Nations

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cronin out for 10 weeks raises the question
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Backup Hooker for 6 Nations

Post by Oldschool »

I see we have a least four Munster visitors to our blue shores.
A bit unfair to CJ tbh.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I presume Tracy and Scannell will be the next 2 after Best. Question is in what order. There's still a few games to go.

Good to see some hookers emerge this season. Good timing because Best isn't getting any younger. Dave Heffernan might also be an option down the line.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Big step up for either of them tbh

Tracey is probably a more like for like replacement for Cronin - Scannell more like Best as a player

Could well be Strauss though, although hopefully not

Tracey has an advanatge of playing with Toner- I'd be more inclined to go with the safe option in the event that Best goes down early
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Golf Man wrote:Big step up for either of them tbh

Tracey is probably a more like for like replacement for Cronin - Scannell more like Best as a player

Tracey has an advanatge of playing with Toner- I'd be more inclined to go with the safe option in the event that Best goes down early
Who should?
Scannell
Who will?
Tracey
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

No Duncan Casey option?

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... ey#p613055

Okay well in that case I would go with Scannell at this point in time.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

OTT wrote:No Duncan Casey option?

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... ey#p613055

Okay well in that case I would go with Scannell at this point in time.
Injured
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Tracey had a pretty poor time at the lineout weekend before last so you would have thought Scannell was ahead. Scannel had a poor time at lineout and scrum last weekend whereas Tracey was part of a dominant scrum and excellent lineout. Strauss has improved from his poor form (suggesting that it may be form rather than permanent).

It's really not like there is a clear cut number 3 hooker in Ireland at all. I don't see any one of them being a "should" play. None of them goes beyond "could" play but you wouldn't want them to start.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Who should?
Scannell
Who will?
Tracey
Either would be more than capable.
Scannell for me has the edge.
But your suggestion that Joe will pick a player based on provincial bias is pure bull.
Joe is the Ireland coach, pure and simple.
He doesn't operate the way EOS or Kidney did.
The fact that you think he would be biased only gives weight to the impression that EOS and Kidney were biased towards Munster players.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

fourthirtythree wrote:Tracey had a pretty poor time at the lineout weekend before last so you would have thought Scannell was ahead. Scannel had a poor time at lineout and scrum last weekend whereas Tracey was part of a dominant scrum and excellent lineout. Strauss has improved from his poor form (suggesting that it may be form rather than permanent).

It's really not like there is a clear cut number 3 hooker in Ireland at all. I don't see any one of them being a "should" play. None of them goes beyond "could" play but you wouldn't want them to start.
Not sure where you are getting Scannell had a poor time at the lineout at the weekend - think Munster were 10/11 in lineouts and Kilcoyne conceded one penalty in the scrum, think that was it. He wasn't as stand out as he was v Racing (his throwing there was Flannery esque - think every throw went to back or middle), but they threw primarily to 2 at the weekend, obviously part of a gameplan to keep it tight

I don't think there is an arguement that Scannell is a safer bet for lineout and scrum - there is an argument that Tracey is a better impact sub. Might depend on the other selections - I don't think Henderson is nailed on to start at this point in time - if you have Healy, Bealham, Henderson and possibly POM on the bench do you go with a safer option at hooker backup - whereas if you have Henderson starting and say Ryan on the bench you might be inclined to go with Tracey
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Oldschool wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:

Who should?
Scannell
Who will?
Tracey
Either would be more than capable.
Scannell for me has the edge.
But your suggestion that Joe will pick a player based on provincial bias is pure bull.
Joe is the Ireland coach, pure and simple.
He doesn't operate the way EOS or Kidney did.
The fact that you think he would be biased only gives weight to the impression that EOS and Kidney were biased towards Munster players.
A little precious Oldschool. I never mentioned a provincial bias.
Tracey has been in Joe's national camp more than Scannell and going by previous history and that is a obvious advantage to Tracey.
Hopefully both Scannell and Tracey will be in front of Strauss at the very least.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Who should?
Scannell
Who will?
Tracey
Have to agree myself
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Scannell any day of the week. I like Tracy but Scannell was outstanding at u-20 level and has really hit some form of late.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Scannel beside either McGrath or Healy will not weaken scrum at all. Treacy a more dynamic defender and ball carrier but more vulnerable thrower. Time in Camp is significant but so is homework and I suspect Scannell will have been briefed by POM about its importance for Joe's team.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Definitely Scannell for me but reckon it'll be Tracy. It's exciting to see these guys coming through but if Best gets injured then things won't seem so good. Big gap in terms of experience without Cronin there and with Strauss probably not in the mix.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

No one has voted for Rob Herring - I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his chances.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought he was injured?

Edit: Also hasn't been in great form this season anyway.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Where's the Sean O'Brien option?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I thought he was injured?

Edit: Also hasn't been in great form this season anyway.
He may well be - I was convinced he came on as a rep on Sunday but he didn't so it's entirely likely that after watching so much sport at the weekend I was hallucinating
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe it was a red Herring?