Scotland v. Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Scotland v. Ireland

Post by offshorerules »

I don't know, I've read a lot of the posts here with interest but to be honest I'm not sure any of them sum up collectively how badly we played in the first half. I usually look for positives I think but it's hard to pick one out from the first 40. The second half in fairness was much better and if we bring that level of intensity for our remaining matches we'll be alright but we were made to look very poor by the Scots and particularly their back three. One positive I would like to mention though in light of my last comment is I thought Kearney had a good game overall and given his recent injuries this was pleasing. There were other positives too such as Jacsons second half performance but in general there were too many average performances and I would think there's a few players dreading the video review meeting on Monday.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

With regards to Scotland's trick lineout to score the try, they've obviously seen a weakness in our defensive setup and have been able to exploit it.

In my eyes the system fails at the front man. Rory Best should not be standing facing the hooker. All that achieves is watching the pop back to the hooker. By doing this he can't see the mismatch behind him between him and furlong and can't reorganise.

If Best turns to face the front jumper he can then do the job of watching the 5m channel and watch the set up behind him and marshall it as required.

Furlong can't be expected to have eyes in the back of his head and needs to face Henderson to be able to lift him, hence why Best needs to do it.
Anyone But New Zealand
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Someone else js already mentioned it but the worst thing about this game was dragging ourselves back into a winning position and then throwing it away. There was 5 mins left after Laidlaw's crucial penalty but everything we did from that moment was rushed and poorly executed. Our team was packed with 40+ capped players and yet we seemed to completely lose control. Would a Paul O'Connell captained team have played like that? I don't know.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Back from the game in Edinburgh, must say fantastic atmosphere and Scotland fans acting like they literally lifted the Webb Ellis after that win!!!
As for the game, saw some stats today we had most carries, most meters made and most line breaks and we still managed to implode for a few reasons

1. Line out shocking, a combo of Best having the yips( don't see what everybody raves about him for tbh) and poor lifting/calls from Dev

2. The ease of the Scottish try's was so bad, particularly poor defending by earls and Kearney

3. Our attack variation is so bad, we don't play off 10 and when we do its so static and easy to read

Some players did well...furlong, stander, jamie and paddy jackson stood out for me

Rest of them should be worried about selection next week!!!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Back from the game in Edinburgh, must say fantastic atmosphere and Scotland fans acting like they literally lifted the Webb Ellis after that win!!!
In fairness they don't get an awful lot to shout about usually. Especially in Edinburgh.
It wasn't so long ago Ireland were in a very similar position. Lots of people (not anybody in particular on here) seem to have forgotten when Ireland considered more than 2 wins a very good championship.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

kermischocolate wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:Back from the game in Edinburgh, must say fantastic atmosphere and Scotland fans acting like they literally lifted the Webb Ellis after that win!!!
In fairness they don't get an awful lot to shout about usually. Especially in Edinburgh.
It wasn't so long ago Ireland were in a very similar position. Lots of people (not anybody in particular on here) seem to have forgotten when Ireland considered more than 2 wins a very good championship.
We won 3 home games from 1990 to 1999 in the 5 Nations. I was young then but my dad took me to every game. I'll never forget those years.

That's why I hate when people say anything less than a Grand Slam is a disappointing season. It isn't. A championship should be cherished, even if we lose along the way
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

kermischocolate wrote:
Congratulations on the win.
Scotland outplayed and outsmarted Ireland.
They were deserving winners.

Hopefully Scotland can push on from there and complete a triple crown, and who knows, maybe do the unthinkable.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Bad management cost us. Crazy changes just for the hell of it. Keatley on bench who could never be brought on - not the only one either. Significant changes needed for next week.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Raydollard wrote:Bad management cost us. Crazy changes just for the hell of it. Keatley on bench who could never be brought on - not the only one either. Significant changes needed for next week.
When you're bitterly disappointed, please return and tell us what you think.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

They'll be changes made for next week that's for sure.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Really, changes? Ok let's go through this.

Front row? Did well enough. Particularly furlong so no change there. Best had a relatively poor game but given Cronin is injured I can't see him being dropped for scanell or Tracey can you? McGrath could be dropped for Healy I suppose but do you expect it? I don't.

Second row? I suppose Ryan could com back in if he's fit but I'm not sure you would describe that as a dropping as if he had been fit I think he would have started.

Back row? Are you suggesting that O'Mahony come in along with perhaps vdf? Ok so you're dropping stander and O'Brien. Maybe Conan coming in instead of heaslip? Hmm not sure about any of those.

Scrum half? Drop Murray, right because that makes a tonne of sense.

Out half? If sexton is fit fair enough but absolutely not based on anything to do with this weekends performance by Jackson.

Centres? Don't think anyone other than Payne who is injured would get a look in here.

Back three? Ah stop will you.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Raydollard wrote:Heaslip was poor and Murray was worse.
We could not beat a chyte Scottish team.
Cannot agree with this at all.....
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

enby wrote:Oddly enough, I thought we missed Cronin in the last quarter, especially after we went ahead when his dynamism would have been important
"oddly enough" I think Cronin if fit should be close to taking Rory Bests place...he's been muck for Ulster this year and again showed yesterday he's no leadership qualities and offered nothing around the park ( both carrying and breakdown)
Line out crumbled with him
Scannell should have got at least 10 mins to see how he'd go, whys he there...
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

FLIP wrote:With regards to Scotland's trick lineout to score the try, they've obviously seen a weakness in our defensive setup and have been able to exploit it.

In my eyes the system fails at the front man. Rory Best should not be standing facing the hooker. All that achieves is watching the pop back to the hooker. By doing this he can't see the mismatch behind him between him and furlong and can't reorganise.

If Best turns to face the front jumper he can then do the job of watching the 5m channel and watch the set up behind him and marshall it as required.

Furlong can't be expected to have eyes in the back of his head and needs to face Henderson to be able to lift him, hence why Best needs to do it.
It actually looks like stander was lifting Henderson
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
enby wrote:Oddly enough, I thought we missed Cronin in the last quarter, especially after we went ahead when his dynamism would have been important
"oddly enough" I think Cronin if fit should be close to taking Rory Bests place...he's been muck for Ulster this year and again showed yesterday he's no leadership qualities and offered nothing around the park ( both carrying and breakdown)
You reckon Cronin would be close to usurping our captain, who before yesterday was being talked about as Lions captain?
As for him having 'no leadership skills and offering nothing around the park', come off it man :lol:
We know you've a mad horn for Cronin, but that's just not true!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
:roll:
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

MrSensible wrote:
FLIP wrote:With regards to Scotland's trick lineout to score the try, they've obviously seen a weakness in our defensive setup and have been able to exploit it.

It actually looks like stander was lifting Henderson
Well, whoever was lifting the front jumper, the analysis is still correct in my view. Scotland really did their homework there.
Anyone But New Zealand
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

wixfjord wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:
You reckon Cronin would be close to usurping our captain, who before yesterday was being talked about as Lions captain?
As for him having 'no leadership skills and offering nothing around the park', come off it man :lol:
We know you've a mad horn for Cronin, but that's just not true!
I'll say it hear right now Rory Best won't even make the lions squad, and as for me having a "mad horn" for Cronin...I'm entitled to my opinion.
Best yet again crumbled under pressure yesterday, offered noting in attack, had no turnovers, threw a few pies into the line out
Tell me if that's incorrect???
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

A massive consequence of yesterday's defeat, apart from oldschool's sanity, may well be some players losing out on lions spots.

There are a small number of players who would be considered as nailed on to travel, but for players who are close, or even outside bets could well suffer.

The bulk of the squad will most likely come from Wales and whoever wins the 6 nations if it's not Wales, with the other 2 nations filling the numbers.

Another loss would most likely see Ireland lucky to see 5 or 6 lads travel, whereas a championship victory would probably see close double that number travel.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

Oldschool wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Ireland simply showed a total lack of respect and didn't take Scotland seriously. They assumed they'd rock up, steamroller over them and win at a canter. Would Ireland have turned down 2 kickable penalties against NZ/ Eng/ France etc early in the first half? I doubt it- they would get points on the board first and foremost.
By the time they realised they might actually have to work to win the game they got into a winning position but somehow Scotland got over their nightmarish wobble and have discovered how to win a game.

Here's hoping they do it again against France.
In fairness, that's exactly what we did against New Zealand. It's not about turning down points, it's about retaining possession as long as possible to wear a team down.
That sums it up in one line really.
Agree 100%. The magic words - retain possession & wear them down :happy clapper: