Scotland v. Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Scotland v. Ireland

Post by Oldschool »

With Sexton and POM gone there is a very good chance that Joe will pair Scannell and JVDF.
So SOB to start with JVDF coming on sometime in the second half.
If Scannell has to come on at OH the Scots will target him so I could see JVDF coming on to support him defensively.
Joe has obviously decided he's not messing around waiting to see will Sexton and/or POM make it.
Very glad to see that irreplaceability has gone from Joe's vocabulary.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

OTT wrote:If they were both at their best I don't think Henderson just walks in, as it is Ryan is playing the best rugby of his career and Henderson definitely is not.

We have a pack full of carriers McGrath/Healy, Furlong, Stander, Heaslip, SOB/VDF. Another grunt man causing havoc at rucks like Ryan is exactly what we need. On form and our current needs it has to be Ryan for me.
With you on Ryan to start.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Bonus points - the elephant in the corner.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just remembered the last time Paddy started a 6N game in Edinburgh. I'm not worried about him, but can see that being mentioned a fair bit between now and Saturday. Although I always thought the criticism himself and Marshall got for that game was OTT.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just remembered the last time Paddy started a 6N game in Edinburgh. I'm not worried about him, but can see that being mentioned a fair bit between now and Saturday. Although I always thought the criticism himself and Marshall got for that game was OTT.

I will always remember that game for something else, the old head taking the heat of the young lad with a lovely piece of skill :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

simonokeeffe wrote:Golf: Henderson was injured for the start of the AIs (shoulder v Exeter), thats why he wasnt in the 23 for Chicago or v Canada. Benching v NZ in Dublin was his first game for a month

Hendersons counter rucking, ball stripping, and choke tackling are top class too, hes not a one trick pony like say Picamoles

Have to agree with LRIP, hes Ulsters only fearsome carrier in the pack
I don't think Henderson is a complete show pony - although there is an arguement that his best attributes are not fully utilised at lock. And he has not been at his best (I know ulster have been pish but he personally hasn't been fantastic - coinciding with Ryan in probably best form ever. Ryan is every bit as good if not better at the nuts and bolts of second row play than Henderson and is in better form. Henderson obviously offers more, if in full flow. Depends what Schmidt wants I suppose. I'm happy with either, but would really like impact from the bench (think Dillane is training but can't see him being pitched straight in).
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

No doubt for me that Henderson and Dillane look like the future lock pairing alright but while Ryan is coming to the end of his career you'lh have to think you'll get another few years out of Dev.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just remembered the last time Paddy started a 6N game in Edinburgh. I'm not worried about him, but can see that being mentioned a fair bit between now and Saturday. Although I always thought the criticism himself and Marshall got for that game was OTT.

I will always remember that game for something else, the old head taking the heat of the young lad with a lovely piece of skill :lol:
Jesus don't remind us :roll:
That was the best on-pitch example of Mother Nature giving a player the old shepards crook I can remember.
IIRC when we got the ball back he also missed touch badly and they score from it.

And yet the prevailing wisdom is still that he should've started that game!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I can't believe the stuff being said about Stander. He's moved his life here, served the requisite time and even learned Amhrán na bhFhiann!

I wonder if he takes citizenship will that be enough for some people?

He's an immigrant doing a brilliant job and contributing to his new local community. What more can he do? If he has no right to play ahead of an Irish-born player then how does a Polish plumber have a right to be hired for a job when an Irish-born plumber isn't??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wow, have I missed something outrageous here? Didn't see anything about Stander bar should he be selected ahead of POM or not?

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Twist wrote:I can't believe the stuff being said about Stander.
Such as? Maybe hive us an example of something here that warranted your hysterical reaction.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Scotland v. Ireland

Post by Twist »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Such as? Maybe hive us an example of something here that warranted your hysterical reaction.
Yes, the general questioning of his right to do his job because of the location of his birth warrants my reaction.

But it's hardly hysterical to defend his right to be picked. My womb remains secured to it's moorings

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Twist wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Yes, the general questioning of his right to do his job because of the location of his birth warrants my reaction.

But it's hardly hysterical to defend his right to be picked. My womb remains secured to it's moorings

Genuinely lolling right now :P

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

There's a fair amount of discussion about the back row, and one option that seems beyond many is playing possibility the form 8 in Europe at 8 for Ireland.

Surely it's time to give stander a run of games at 8? Especially when you have options like Henderson and pom at 6.

It is not a popular subject on here, but the dropping of Heaslip will happen sooner or later, and imo there is no better time than the first couple of games of this 6 nations.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Twist wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:

Give us an auld quote there so.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:There's a fair amount of discussion about the back row, and one option that seems beyond many is playing possibility the form 8 in Europe at 8 for Ireland.

Surely it's time to give stander a run of games at 8? Especially when you have options like Henderson and pom at 6.

It is not a popular subject on here, but the dropping of Heaslip will happen sooner or later, and imo there is no better time than the first couple of games of this 6 nations.
You want the back row to be SOB, VDF and Stander?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote:
munster#1 wrote:There's a fair amount of discussion about the back row, and one option that seems beyond many is playing possibility the form 8 in Europe at 8 for Ireland.

I would have liked to see POM, VDF and Stander, but now I would like to see Henderson come in in place of POM.
This would provide better options in the line-out, and allow stander to play to his full potential, in his best position.

I do not for one second believe that this will happen, I am also convinced that Zebo will be moved to wing to accommodate kearney.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Whatever about Twist just copying and paste his post from another forum and getting caught out on it...
M1 is Stander your latest promo boy from Munster? Heaslip had been unbelievably good at international level for the last 12 months - maybe the Italy match but we don't do rotation in the 6nations in the opening game, only when we can't win the tournament
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

I would have liked to see POM, VDF and Stander, but now I would like to see Henderson come in in place of POM.
This would provide better options in the line-out, and allow stander to play to his full potential, in his best position.

I do not for one second believe that this will happen, I am also convinced that Zebo will be moved to wing to accommodate kearney.
Surely with POM out you don't make two moves in the backrow. Hendo, VDF and Stander have never played together. Hendo rarely plays for Schmidt at 6, likewise Stander at 8. Up against a stellar Scottish backrow, that would be foolish.
Heaslip is also in good form, it makes much more sense to play Stander, VDF, Heaslip.
With Sexton out too, you don't drop your vice captain for an away game apropos of nothing.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ribs wrote:Whatever about Twist just copying and paste his post from another forum and getting caught out on it...
M1 is Stander your latest promo boy from Munster? Heaslip had been unbelievably good at international level for the last 12 months - maybe the Italy match but we don't do rotation in the 6nations in the opening game, only when we can't win the tournament
What does the province he play for have to do with it?

There is no doubt that stander is probably the best Irish player at the moment, and is probably also the best 8 in Europe, and up there with the best in the world.

Ireland don't have too many players of this calibre, and surely when we do have a player like this, he should play in his best position.