Italy v Ireland 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Oldschool » February 13th, 2017, 6:11 pm

offshorerules wrote:Wow, you would have thought he had a better strike rate.

Depends on who you listen to. :roll:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9900
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby wixfjord » February 13th, 2017, 6:12 pm

All Blacks nil wrote:
wixfjord wrote:There's an awful lot of very poor quality trolling coming from you and your brethren lately AB0. Really unsubtle stuff.


Fair question though, has Joe ever picked Zebo in front of DK?
The Ferg bit was a poor attempt. Don't think many Leinster supporters would have them in their MD23 or even in a second XV at this stage.

There was a time when people objected to any mention of Zebo in an international thread. I'm glad to see that has changed and people appreciate Zebo for what he can do.
As a national paper's slogan says
"before you make up your mind, open it"


Rightly, people had concerns over Zebo at test level. Joe did too.
Rightly, he's getting a lot of plaudits for his strong performances.

I'm sure people don't need a lecture from you on the fallacy of confirmation bias though.
As I said, speaking for myself, less trolling in international threads and more actual grown up discussion would be very welcome.
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Oldschool » February 13th, 2017, 6:13 pm

All Blacks nil wrote:Will Zebo stay in the panel now?
DK is back and Ferg can play every position in the backline,can also placekick and is obviously a better fit for the 23 jersey. Has Joe ever picked Zebo in front of Dave Kearney? A matter of time surely.

Patienz!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9900
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby fourthirtythree » February 13th, 2017, 8:22 pm

suisse wrote:
Golf Man wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Earls is a real finisher, Zebo is a better all round player these days.


Its a bit of a weird one - Earls has barely scored for Munster this year - think he has the lowest number of tries of all 5 back 3 options. Zebo has scored way more than him lately for munster but seems to reverse itself for Ireland. He has 6 tries in 10 games for Munster - scoring in 6 seperate games with 4 in ECC and 1 v Leinster .Good scoring record v SH nations though.

Down a lot top teh style of play I think


I'll admit I have not always been Earls' biggest fan, but in a game like that, you know he'll score. He's really good for a try. I know he's more than just a finisher, but being a reliable try scorer is a really good thing to be.



I don't mean to demean or damn Earls with faint praise by saying he's a real finisher: I have always been a big fan of his. First of the threequarters on my team sheet very often. I just mean that he is a player, like say Shaggy, who, whenever it goes to the TMO to check grounding or foot in touch I'm already confident. They really work well at taking the scores. I don't mean that's their only quality.

Zebo's strike rate for Munster is absolutely outstanding, I think he's able to make more scores for himself from very little than Earls is these days. You don't get to do that at international level as much and not turning over the ball when you don't make it to the line, and not blowing any scoring opportunity you do get become crucial skills. And that's what I think the difference is. Just anecdotal mind, my impression.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8488
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Xanthippe » February 14th, 2017, 12:34 am

All Blacks nil wrote:Fair question though, has Joe ever picked Zebo in front of DK?


The answer is 'kind of'!!!

August 2015 v Scotland: Zebo 15/BabyK 23
February 2016 v Wales: Zebo 15/BabyK 23
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE



I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
User avatar
Xanthippe
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: September 5th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby neilinboston » February 14th, 2017, 2:20 am

cormac wrote:
neilinboston wrote:
offshorerules wrote:Did I hear correctly on the commentary the Zebo only has one try in the six nations? Extraordinary if so.

If he does it was that flick up kicky thing!


No, but his sole 6N try was earlier in that same match.

Dammit! Breakfast pints with matches never ends well!
neilinboston
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 440
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby wixfjord » February 14th, 2017, 10:04 am

Kearney possibly out for the rest of the tournament, needs surgery on bicep injury:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 49384.html

Looks like Zebo to 15 and Trimble into the team.
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Golf Man » February 14th, 2017, 10:28 am

fourthirtythree wrote:

I don't mean to demean or damn Earls with faint praise by saying he's a real finisher: I have always been a big fan of his. First of the threequarters on my team sheet very often. I just mean that he is a player, like say Shaggy, who, whenever it goes to the TMO to check grounding or foot in touch I'm already confident. They really work well at taking the scores. I don't mean that's their only quality.

Zebo's strike rate for Munster is absolutely outstanding, I think he's able to make more scores for himself from very little than Earls is these days. You don't get to do that at international level as much and not turning over the ball when you don't make it to the line, and not blowing any scoring opportunity you do get become crucial skills. And that's what I think the difference is. Just anecdotal mind, my impression.


I think Zebo has a bit more licence and freedom with Munster - he has kind of referred to it himself - certainly having him almost exclusively at 15 has served us very well this year - some of his finishing has been exceptional; this year - managing to get over in spots that you don't really expect him to

Earls has always been a great finisher, and was always able to create through breaks and speed as much as anything else - I think the Schmidt effect is evident in Earls - he is probably more rounded and definitely better defensively, but he tends to focus on recycling the ball now rather than making the breaks for himself. He is as good as nailed on though - still our best winger imo - and Schmidt is obviously a fan - when fit he generally plays
Golf Man
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2033
Joined: November 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Oldschool » February 14th, 2017, 10:35 am

wixfjord wrote:Kearney possibly out for the rest of the tournament, needs surgery on bicep injury:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 49384.html

Looks like Zebo to 15 and Trimble into the team.

Sounds like a plan.
We're starting to look a bit light for cover in the backs.
We need some of the younger players to come thru.
In the short term DK's return to fitness couldn't have come at a better time. He's probably only one injury away from a recall.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9900
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby olaf the fat » February 14th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Golf Man wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

I don't mean to demean or damn Earls with faint praise by saying he's a real finisher: I have always been a big fan of his. First of the threequarters on my team sheet very often. I just mean that he is a player, like say Shaggy, who, whenever it goes to the TMO to check grounding or foot in touch I'm already confident. They really work well at taking the scores. I don't mean that's their only quality.

Zebo's strike rate for Munster is absolutely outstanding, I think he's able to make more scores for himself from very little than Earls is these days. You don't get to do that at international level as much and not turning over the ball when you don't make it to the line, and not blowing any scoring opportunity you do get become crucial skills. And that's what I think the difference is. Just anecdotal mind, my impression.


I think Zebo has a bit more licence and freedom with Munster - he has kind of referred to it himself - certainly having him almost exclusively at 15 has served us very well this year - some of his finishing has been exceptional; this year - managing to get over in spots that you don't really expect him to

Earls has always been a great finisher, and was always able to create through breaks and speed as much as anything else - I think the Schmidt effect is evident in Earls - he is probably more rounded and definitely better defensively, but he tends to focus on recycling the ball now rather than making the breaks for himself. He is as good as nailed on though - still our best winger imo - and Schmidt is obviously a fan - when fit he generally plays


Earls may not be as fast as he used to be, but he seems a more complete player now. He seems to be in the right place to score more often than not, mark of a good wing
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3318
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby simonokeeffe » February 14th, 2017, 1:31 pm

think Trimble was coming in anyway but left wing is Earls best position, 23 gets interesting now too

POM wont be playing for Munster this weekend so that probably rules him out of the Wales game too
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15899
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby suisse » February 14th, 2017, 2:26 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:think Trimble was coming in anyway but left wing is Earls best position, 23 gets interesting now too

POM wont be playing for Munster this weekend so that probably rules him out of the Wales game too


I don't mind the players individually but a back 3 of

15 Zebo
14 Trimble
11 Earls

isn't very exciting. I don't know why. Just a feeling. And I am sure someone will produce a load of stats for tries, assists, meters, gainline breaks, tackles etc to show how prolific they are. But even in a really strong team (and we have a strong team), that looks the least inspiring area. To think of the wingers now retired or out of form; Hickie, Fitzgerald, Bowe, Horgan. I'd kill a small puppy to have one of those, from their peak, in the XV versus France.
User avatar
suisse
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4627
Joined: April 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am
Location: Seoul, South Korea

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby neiliog93 » February 14th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Is there a chance he'll start Gilroy ahead of Trimble after the former's hat-trick heroics?

11.Gilroy 15.Zebo 14.Earls

23.Trimble

Unlikely given Joe's conservatism but not impossible.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Hacker G » February 14th, 2017, 7:32 pm

neiliog93 wrote:Is there a chance he'll start Gilroy ahead of Trimble after the former's hat-trick heroics?

11.Gilroy 15.Zebo 14.Earls

23.Trimble

Unlikely given Joe's conservatism but not impossible.


Think you're going to need a full back on the bench if you're starting with any 2 of those 3 wingers.
Hacker G
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 279
Joined: August 22nd, 2006, 6:42 pm

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Oldschoolsocks » February 14th, 2017, 8:04 pm

neiliog93 wrote:Is there a chance he'll start Gilroy ahead of Trimble after the former's hat-trick heroics?

11.Gilroy 15.Zebo 14.Earls

23.Trimble

Unlikely given Joe's conservatism but not impossible.

Yeah sure, why not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby simonokeeffe » February 14th, 2017, 10:52 pm

If anyone was playing Cummiskey bingo on MNR a dig at Stander and plug of Blackrock College made it in the first two sentences on how to improve Italian rugby
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15899
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby neiliog93 » February 14th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Earls can play fullback, did it for the Lions in '09.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Oldschoolsocks » February 15th, 2017, 12:30 am

neiliog93 wrote:Earls can play fullback, did it for the Lions in '09.

After coating his hands in carbolic soap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the irony being that ad-hominen and appeal to majority are the most often used defences of the apologist.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Mullet
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby neiliog93 » February 15th, 2017, 2:37 am

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Earls can play fullback, did it for the Lions in '09.

After coating his hands in carbolic soap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's true, but he has good for Munster at fullback at times.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3083
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Postby Golf Man » February 15th, 2017, 8:56 am

Gilroy has played plenty at full back

The exciting selection is actually Zebo/TOH/Earls with Gilroy on the bench

Not a hope that will be what is selected though

Trimble will be in the 23 and almost certain to start
Golf Man
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2033
Joined: November 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trendiction-Bot [Bot] and 2 guests

cron