Italy v Ireland 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't really get why people mention Kilcoyne's scrummaging. It might not be a strength, but I really don't see it as a weakness either.
It's a massive weakness, when put under any pressure he hinges and drops the t/h. Any ref worth his salt will penalise him all day.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

suisse wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Over the last few months we have all read articles about the current depth available in Irish rugby, but that is meaningless unless that depth in used.
I don't think it is Joe's fault that the media are continually talking about depth. We've always had this same problem; in two or three positions, we have no back up and are left preying for miracles recoveries (BOD in 07). Hayes, ROG, BOD were all without a replacement. Then Mike Ross. Now Best and Conor Murray.
Take a quick through this forum ( and others) and you'll see it's not just the media talking about squad depth. I'm sure joe may also have alluded to it as well.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

We have to win this game with a bonus point to have any chance in the championship and for me that means you pick Henderson, Healy on the bench and Zebo at fullback. I'd also have Van Der Flier in the team personally.That's not to say that a player like Ryan doesn't deserve to start but I think that if you're trying to rack up points you need a player with Henderson's profile and abilities.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I felt like the balance of the team was off and if we don't correct it then we could hockey Italy and be back to square one against France, so I'd make a few changes. Not many, I reckon the reaction to the personnel has been OTT, but I would make a few changes.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Flash Gordon wrote:Henderson's profile and abilities.
Supposed profile and abilities. He showed none of them for most of the match.
Anyone But New Zealand
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The only reason Henderson started was an injury to Ryan. If you look at how Henderson played (didnt get on the ball much at all) its like he was filling in for Ryan badly ( though id expect Ryan to take more lineout ball.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dillane looked like he needed more games too, I'd send him back to Connacht this week and then see what shape everyone is in for France.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hornet wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Parrisse a doubt for Italy apparently with a kneck injury, though reading between the lines the papers are exaggerating it a little
Ah the old silent 'k' in neck :lol:
I read it as keck injury! He should be alright once he's changed them! :lol:
I only just mastered spelling loose, neck is my knew workon

They miss his leadership massively. In gen their front five looks lightweight.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

paddyor wrote:The only reason Henderson started was an injury to Ryan. If you look at how Henderson played (didnt get on the ball much at all) its like he was filling in for Ryan badly ( though id expect Ryan to take more lineout ball.
And I'd have played Ryan last weekend I just think Henderson offers a more expansive option. The comment above about him not having shown any ability is ridiculous in my opinion. He had a very poor game last weekend along with a lot of our players (though he did score) but this kid was being touted as a Lion by many serious commentators given his previous form for Ulster and Ireland. If you have Healy, Henderson, Stander, Heaslip, Van der Flier and O'Brien involved you have some pretty serious ball carrying options.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

yeah but he actually has to do it on a rugby pitch and not in newspaper columns, and its been quite some time since he has
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Flash Gordon wrote:
paddyor wrote:The only reason Henderson started was an injury to Ryan. If you look at how Henderson played (didnt get on the ball much at all) its like he was filling in for Ryan badly ( though id expect Ryan to take more lineout ball.
And I'd have played Ryan last weekend I just think Henderson offers a more expansive option. The comment above about him not having shown any ability is ridiculous in my opinion. He had a very poor game last weekend along with a lot of our players (though he did score) but this kid was being touted as a Lion by many serious commentators given his previous form for Ulster and Ireland. If you have Healy, Henderson, Stander, Heaslip, Van der Flier and O'Brien involved you have some pretty serious ball carrying options.
Henderson wasnt on the pitch to carry on saturday IMO. He was used as a dummy a few times, but even when he carried he was looking to pop it on. I thought he looked slow/ lethargic on Saturday. Like the first 3 scrums knocked the stuffing out of him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Furlong a doubt for Saturday.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Xanthippe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
I'm sure I've seen a stat somewhere that Italy have won more games without Parisse than with him.
Not that I'm expecting them to win on saturday, obviously.
Here's a piece I did on Parisse back in 2013 when he was on 93 caps. He has 122 now so if I get a chance I'll update the tables later.

Xanthippe wrote:
Parisse has played 93 games for Italy - they are broken down below by country

Italy have played 26 games without Parisse and those results, by country played are detailed below

Ta muchly.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:Furlong a doubt for Saturday.
thought he trained today/was expected to train fully despite bruised shoulder?

if hes out IMO they have to start Ryan for the scrums with Bealham on bench
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

John Ryan was great when he came on. If there's an award for most improved player in the country then he deserves to win it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:John Ryan was great when he came on. If there's an award for most improved player in the country then he deserves to win it.
especially when you consider he changed positions too
I got murdered in the comments on threeredkings twitter for saying Bealham is a liability in the scrum, then Ryan usurps him (one would think partially with that in mind), but apparently Bealham only returned to training last Tuesday too

Would like Trimble back for this one
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Flash Gordon wrote:
He could do with hitting some rucks. Hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:yeah but he actually has to do it on a rugby pitch and not in newspaper columns, and its been quite some time since he has
This, Henderson just isn't delivering of late
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

kermischocolate wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
I'm sure I've seen a stat somewhere that Italy have won more games without Parisse than with him.
Not that I'm expecting them to win on saturday, obviously.
Here's a piece I did on Parisse back in 2013 when he was on 93 caps. He has 122 now so if I get a chance I'll update the tables later.

Xanthippe wrote:
Parisse has played 93 games for Italy - they are broken down below by country

Italy have played 26 games without Parisse and those results, by country played are detailed below

Ta muchly.
Ireland have lost to Italy but its not reflected in either scenario above
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:John Ryan was great when he came on. If there's an award for most improved player in the country then he deserves to win it.
What i dont get about Ryan is in 2012 he did really well apparently for London Irish on loan, its taken another 4 seasons for an impact at Munster.

I would hold off SOB for impact in last 20 and i'd start either VDF of even POM at 7, ideally VDF to give more balance to backrow and speed to pack, alternatively POM to provide more dog for 60 minutes.
we'll need 4 trys, unleashing Healy and SOb in last 20 will help this.