Italy v Ireland 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Italy v Ireland 2017

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just that he didn't take too kindly to not being picked and was castigated for it.
Pro rugby players are idiots at times.
If this is true, then what did Kilcoyne have to gain from it? I can understand why he might be frustrated, but jaysus it's Joe Schmidt! Of all coaches, insolence will not be tolerated, and there's more than enough LHs in Ireland to fill in for Kilcoyne.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Anyone else notice us using an interesting tactic on opposing kicks at the weekend?
For pretty much every kick out of their 22, Murray, and later Marmion took a run from about 3 metres back and sprinted into the face of the kicker. It worked on a few occasions, and their kicking was shocking.
Wonder will we see it again against France, or is it just something that Schmidt picked out for Italy?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just that he didn't take too kindly to not being picked and was castigated for it.
Pro rugby players are idiots at times.
If this is true, then what did Kilcoyne have to gain from it? I can understand why he might be frustrated, but jaysus it's Joe Schmidt! Of all coaches, insolence will not be tolerated, and there's more than enough LHs in Ireland to fill in for Kilcoyne.
Joe's not vindictive, all it takes for Killer to get back on board is -
A. Put his hand up and acknowledge any perceived indiscretion.
B. Listen to Joe and become a better player in the process.
C. Become a better LH prop than either Jack McGrath or Cian Healy. An injury to either and......

It's about being patient, things can change very quickly, just look at how rapid (and successful) John Ryan's elevation to the squad has been.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Glen Jackson will cost someone a serious match sooner rather then later.

He had warned Italy about consistent offside and the next one would be a yellow, he plays an advantage to us for an Italian offside which we score from and there is no yellow for the Italian player.

He gives Italy a penalty try and also yellow cards Ireland for bringing down the maul and it was maybe the second penalty we gave away in the game at that point.

You cannot referee a game like that and be taken seriously. I can accept the latter decision but he has to give the former also.

In the second half he called use it at every scrum immediately when the ball got to Heaslip (where was the 3-5 seconds that the laws allow?), which was a cop out again because if we got the push on he would have invariably had to make a call against the Italians after the first half performance.

It is not his job to try and be an equalizer for the weaker team.

He is a shocking referee, I am just glad we got him in a 50 odd point win.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

OTT wrote:Glen Jackson will cost someone a serious match sooner rather then later.

He had warned Italy about consistent offside and the next one would be a yellow, he plays an advantage to us for an Italian offside which we score from and there is no yellow for the Italian player.

He gives Italy a penalty try and also yellow cards Ireland for bringing down the maul and it was maybe the second penalty we gave away in the game at that point.

You cannot referee a game like that and be taken seriously. I can accept the latter decision but he has to give the former also.

In the second half he called use it at every scrum immediately when the ball got to Heaslip (where was the 3-5 seconds that the laws allow?), which was a cop out again because if we got the push on he would have invariably had to make a call against the Italians after the first half performance.

It is not his job to try and be an equalizer for the weaker team.

He is a shocking referee, I am just glad we got him in a 50 odd point win.
Second match in a row that the opposition have given away a rake of penalties in the red zone and gone unpunished for it in terms of cards.
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Absolutely agree with posts about Glen Jackson. He is the original "Random Referee" who could cost somebody something serious. His 'former player' status is wearing thin as he continues to ignore the sore of points raised in both mails from @OTT and @FLIP. He lacks empathy and appears to have forgotten his understanding of the game as a very decent out-half.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Did I hear correctly on the commentary the Zebo only has one try in the six nations? Extraordinary if so.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

offshorerules wrote:Did I hear correctly on the commentary the Zebo only has one try in the six nations? Extraordinary if so.
If he does it was that flick up kicky thing!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

neilinboston wrote:
offshorerules wrote:Did I hear correctly on the commentary the Zebo only has one try in the six nations? Extraordinary if so.
He didn't score from that. I think it ended up a ruck with Healy scoring from it. Will YouTube it.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neilinboston wrote:
No, but his sole 6N try was earlier in that same match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Wow, you would have thought he had a better strike rate.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The football he played on Saturday was of the highest order - no other winger in the 6 Nations is capable of playing that kind of game
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Earls is a real finisher, Zebo is a better all round player these days.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Will Zebo stay in the panel now?
DK is back and Ferg can play every position in the backline,can also placekick and is obviously a better fit for the 23 jersey. Has Joe ever picked Zebo in front of Dave Kearney? A matter of time surely.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There's an awful lot of very poor quality trolling coming from you and your brethren lately AB0. Really unsubtle stuff.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

All Blacks nil wrote:Will Zebo stay in the panel now?
DK is back and Ferg can play every position in the backline,can also placekick and is obviously a better fit for the 23 jersey. Has Joe ever picked Zebo in front of Dave Kearney? A matter of time surely.
1. No. His overexuberance at the breakfast buffet is putting the IRFU seriously out of pocket.
2. Ferg is surely captain now and as he can play every position in the backline let's stick him at 9.
3. Of course he hasn't - who in their right mind would do that?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

wixfjord wrote:There's an awful lot of very poor quality trolling coming from you and your brethren lately AB0. Really unsubtle stuff.
Fair question though, has Joe ever picked Zebo in front of DK?
The Ferg bit was a poor attempt. Don't think many Leinster supporters would have them in their MD23 or even in a second XV at this stage.

There was a time when people objected to any mention of Zebo in an international thread. I'm glad to see that has changed and people appreciate Zebo for what he can do.
As a national paper's slogan says
"before you make up your mind, open it"
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

fourthirtythree wrote:Earls is a real finisher, Zebo is a better all round player these days.
Its a bit of a weird one - Earls has barely scored for Munster this year - think he has the lowest number of tries of all 5 back 3 options. Zebo has scored way more than him lately for munster but seems to reverse itself for Ireland. He has 6 tries in 10 games for Munster - scoring in 6 seperate games with 4 in ECC and 1 v Leinster .Good scoring record v SH nations though.

Down a lot top teh style of play I think
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

All Blacks nil wrote:There was a time when people objected to any mention of Zebo in an international thread. I'm glad to see that has changed and people appreciate Zebo for what he can do.
As a national paper's slogan says
"before you make up your mind, open it"
I don't think anyone here really needs a lesson from you on that subject. Heaslip has 93 Irish caps, 5 Lions caps and a host of medals, but his inclusion still irks many, many of the self appointed best fans in the world despite another really good performance. As for Zebo, we all know if he was a Leinster player, he'd be despised. Looking at himself on the big screen, the celebrations, constantly re-adjusting his shorts to show whatever the black item of clothing he wears underneath is. I don't care about any of those, nor do I care about Heaslip's headphones, sandals or earrings. But that's how it is. A lot of people get really pissed off about nothing.

Zebo is a really good player and he's heading to NZ this summer IMHO. I get the feeling he's a good tourist too, and we know some coaches like that. I have no inside knowledge but I would say he's a positive influence on camp and on tour.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Golf Man wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Earls is a real finisher, Zebo is a better all round player these days.
Its a bit of a weird one - Earls has barely scored for Munster this year - think he has the lowest number of tries of all 5 back 3 options. Zebo has scored way more than him lately for munster but seems to reverse itself for Ireland. He has 6 tries in 10 games for Munster - scoring in 6 seperate games with 4 in ECC and 1 v Leinster .Good scoring record v SH nations though.

Down a lot top teh style of play I think
I'll admit I have not always been Earls' biggest fan, but in a game like that, you know he'll score. He's really good for a try. I know he's more than just a finisher, but being a reliable try scorer is a really good thing to be.