Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Post by Oldschool »

jezzer wrote: What I meant OS is that Sexton was more than 80% likely to land the penalty from that range. SO basically he has 3 points in the bag (or about 2.5 points if you want to be really picky) and an advantage to do something with. Why trade your advantage for a DG, which gets you the same points you would have had anyway? Might as well try a crossfield kick or a speculative grubber and come back for the 2.5/3 points if it doesn't work.

But as I said, and Dave C repeated, there is a hidden upside to the made DG in that it gave JS a clear boost to have nailed it. It still isn't worth wasting an advantage in my view.
Fair point Jezzer, I need to brush up my analysis.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

jezzer wrote:It still isn't worth wasting an advantage in my view.
There seems to be a war against the DG in recent seasons. Even as a Leinster fan, we have seen games lost because - mostly Madigan - someone wouldn't step into the pocket. Glasgow lost their game to Munster for the same thing. It is almost like most coaches have forgotten that the DG is worth the same as a penalty. I remember watching Scarlets v Saracens and wondering why, at 7 points up, Llanelli didn't steady for a game winning kick. They kept getting pushed further and further back, and then the 10 belatedly stepped back and missed badly off terrible ball.

If you'e happy to take a penalty and 3 points when attacking with no reward, then why not a drop goal? You miss, and the opposition still has to kick the ball back to you from the 22.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wasn't there some mad stat recently about Connacht's winning drop goal being their first successful drop goal in about 4 seasons?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

suisse wrote:
There seems to be a war against the DG in recent seasons. Even as a Leinster fan, we have seen games lost because - mostly Madigan - someone wouldn't step into the pocket. Glasgow lost their game to Munster for the same thing. It is almost like most coaches have forgotten that the DG is worth the same as a penalty. I remember watching Scarlets v Saracens and wondering why, at 7 points up, Llanelli didn't steady for a game winning kick. They kept getting pushed further and further back, and then the 10 belatedly stepped back and missed badly off terrible ball.

If you'e happy to take a penalty and 3 points when attacking with no reward, then why not a drop goal? You miss, and the opposition still has to kick the ball back to you from the 22.
Madigan didn't get a lot of time at 10 for Leinster. I'd blame Gopperth more, mainly because of that missed dropgoal in front of the posts against Toulon :(
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

suisse wrote:

I think we're talking at cross purposes a bit. I'm only talking about when a team has a penalty advantage in easy kicking range. They're going to get 3 points from the penalty anyway, so why not use the advantage to go for 7 and come back for the 3 if it fails. Taking the DG is just burning your advantage for no gain.

In general play, though, I totally agree. The DG is underused and especially in game'winning situations. Teams prefer to go through phases to try to win a penalty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Changing tack slightly, but staying with the Drop Goal event. Rewatching the second half, one can't but marvel at the burst by Earls, which IMO, was a major contribution to the DG opportunity.

Sarin kicks a high box kick from his own 22 mtrs to Earls receiving on our 10m line, which he takes comfortably without pressure about 15m infield. He immediately glances up and puts on tbe afterburners, in a fashion not usually seen unless he's within 10m of opposition line. His acceleration is such that he powers through a double tackle by the French captain and their No 6 before finally being brought to ground by Sarin, now about 14m inside the French half.

The ball is taken on by Henshaw and then by Heaslip to a breakdown /ruck just 7m short of the French 22m, where their No 6, still trying to redeem himself from being blown away in tackling Ireland smallest player, goes to ground with a side entry to the ruck and concedes a penalty, which Owens signals and calls. Murray hears the call from J10, now standing on the 10m line deep and to the right of the ruck, where he collects, takes two short steps and delivers a perfect strike from 40m.

Great strike, but huge credit Earlsy for a superb burst which turned defence into attack in the classic fashion.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

johng wrote:Dare I mention Micko Driscoll? Good bread and butter lad there. Ask Leo.
Please don't johng
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'm a big fan of the tactical drop goal. Teams give up penalties but you take drop goals. If you take them early in the phases you make it hard on a defence that's prepared to hold you out.